Our zoo day

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I took Shelby to the Oregon Zoo today. It's VERY small, we were done in just over 3 hours, and that was taking our time. Most of my pictures turned out so bad, I can't post them here, but there are a few I will share.
Speaking of primates (like in Inktomi's thread), the orangutans were out and about. They seemed fascinated by the kids. Here are a couple pics

Attachments

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
only a few other pics are worth looking at. My green Anaconda pics did not turn out, and the Rock Python was hiding.
Here is a small croc, and some bats

Attachments

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
last, and certainly least, in terms of information, and accommodations, was the invert collection.
They had 1 P emperator, 1 african millie, 1 white spotted assasin bug, a few walking sticks, and 1 black widow, along with 4 tarantulas.
They had G rosea (still listed as spatulata), E murinus, B emilia, and A seemanni. The emilia was also listed with the old genus name (starts with E, can't even remember it).
Here is a pic below of the dismal view:

we also found this weird arachnid on Shelby's back, supposedly a spider, but looked more like a tick ;)

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Holley,

The problems with your photos should be fairly easy to clear up. First, and most importantly, you need to figure out how to control depth of field and focal distance on your camera. What you have will determine how you do this (or if you can). Secondly, you need to take some glass cleaner and a cloth along. Clean up the glass before you take the shot. With those two things you should be able to get much better pictures.

So did you inform the zoo of the errors with their inverts?

Cheers,
Dave

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Holly,
The pics aren't that bad. What type of cam were you using? It can be tough taking pics at the zoo when everyone before you has put their greasy little fingers and face all over the glass :) . That croc looks like a dwarf caimen (Paleosuchus palpebrosus).
Mike

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
thanks guys...
The cam is a Canon Powershot S100 Elph. I can't figure out how to focus (I don't think there is a manual focus). However, the glass cleaner is a good idea.
Dave, I've informed the zoo more than once about the errors, but they don't really care. I need to find someone in charge to talk to, since the workers are idiots...

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I really like the bat picture! I'm a sucker for bats. Does that zoo have a reptile section?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
no reptile section to speak of. They have it divided up into world areas, so in Africa, they have a rock python. And for some reason, they have a green Anaconda in the primate section ;)
It's a very tiny zoo!

Andross

Arachnopeon
Hey, I work at the oregon zoo :) . And yes it is small. Allthough they are building more and more all day long.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Andross said:
Hey, I work at the oregon zoo :) . And yes it is small. Allthough they are building more and more all day long.
do you? cool!
which part? Can you tell them to fix their invert display?!!!

Andross

Arachnopeon
Well im a cook at the zoo. But yeah I'll try to tell those people to fix it.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Andross said:
Well im a cook at the zoo. But yeah I'll try to tell those people to fix it.

thanks ;)

Hey, I don't have your email address, but I just posted in the Arachnofunctions. We are trying to get a spider party together, PM me for details, and include your email address if you want on the email list!

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Cool! And more zoo pictures too! I just posted some from DC zoo.

I have some pictures of orangs and a couple of snakes on the disc I've misplaced. They call their orang room the Thinking Tank, and have benches posted all around so you can have a special moment with them. One of the females in there was just soo smart looking and seemed to enjoy watching the humans as much as we enjoyed them.

Loved the flying fox you posted!