Orthoporus ornatus natural food experiment substrate mix 2.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
With dried and decomposing creosote leaves mixed into the substrate 1:1:1 ratio of composted creosote leaves, dirt (decomposed granite soil), and coco fiber to preserve moisture the Oo's are now burrowing in and out of the substrate. They ate the green plants after the leaves began to desiccate. They are aggregating to eat carrot chunks that can't be seen in the photo. They still love their veggies.
IMG_0519.JPG

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I was just looking at this picture and noticed that they have stripped the weathered outer layer off of the cholla skeletons.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
AAAAAAAaaaAAa! That is a LOT of O. o's. I didn't know you had THAT many!
Lovely 'pedes anyway, nice color and size...

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Hopefully those feeding colonies will eventually become breeding colonies...
That's what I am trying to accomplish. I might stick one in the shade on the back porch and see if the higher temps help next.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
That's what I am trying to accomplish. I might stick one in the shade on the back porch and see if the higher temps help next.
I never thought of them requiring a higher range. Maybe just test a few at a time. :eek:

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I've seen them out in the day in the summer in Texas. In AZ they do hide when it gets really hot but they stay out un to at least 90F (32C). I need to spend some time in the field taking temps when they are active.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Have you experienced with seasonal water cycles to stimulate breeding?
I have been misting them once or twice a week. If a lot of water is added to the substrate it can drown the ones underneath (according to one members experience). I might try misting them every day for a week and seeing what happens. I'll put just a few of them in a separate cage for that experiment.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I was growing some finicky cacti once and having trouble. Someone told me to only water them when it rains in Phoenix. I guess it works for millipedes, too!

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Sorry, I know this is old, I was just wondering how your pedes were doing on this substrate?

Also, did you include caliche in this enclosure as well?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Mine are doing great. They are still heavy bodied and active. I added powdered caliche to the mix and I also placed a few rocks on the surface. I have kept them on the dry side. I am moving them to a bigger enclosure next weekend and will start to mist them more often.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
How are the Orthoporus ornatus doing, @DubiaW? :)

I have been misting them once or twice a week. If a lot of water is added to the substrate it can drown the ones underneath (according to one members experience). I might try misting them every day for a week and seeing what happens. I'll put just a few of them in a separate cage for that experiment.
They would only be in danger of drowning if the substrate became saturated (not just damp), which I believe would be bad for anything in a terrarium, burrowed or not. What happened was (if I am the member you refer to), that I poured water on the substrate in sufficient amount or manner to collapse a molting cell. :( A very pale millipede came to the surface and raced around. Their external scars were minor, but clearly they suffered internal injuries as they did not live long. :sorry: I’ve made some dreadful newb errors. :bag:

Last edited: