Orthoporus ornatus native food experiment.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I keep Oo's guys but just started with them. I currently have seven and I'm looking for some good things for them to eat. Mine so far have pretty stuck their noses up at everything I was told to feed them except apple.
Mine always like cucumber and zucchini. @DubiaW has some great options!

Snail and millie lady

Arachnopeon
Mine always like cucumber and zucchini. @DubiaW has some great options!
I haven't tried cucumber yet I will try them today. So far I've had no luck with zucchini though. They didn't touch it. Lol their still new and finding care information is hard online. I joined this board just this morning cause I saw quite a few articles on these guys. I am glad I found this place because care sheets are like non existent online. The lady I got them from didn't know much either. She found these guys while taking a walk and sent me some, some to another friend, and kept two herself. We've all been looking for care information so I am gonna tell them both about these boards as well.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
This is a great place to learn. The SEARCH feature is our friend! Good luck with your Oo's.

Snail and millie lady

Arachnopeon
Thank you!! I own about every animal and invert there is but I have never kept millipedes before. We are excited to have them and are currently working on a big new terrarium setup to put all of our terrarium inhabitants onto one wall. It will house about twenty different terrariuma in one unit with each inhabitant having it's own seperate habitat, yet they'll all be joined. I will post a thread that details the build in picture's once we start. Right now we are still in the planning atage though. Our hope's are to have the terrariums mounted on the wall over our turtle pond. I just hope we can pull it off! !

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Mine like, zucchini, apples, carrots, cactus paddles, cactus fruit, pears and of course cactus wood, creosote wood and leaves, mesquite and paloverde wood & leaves.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Mine like, zucchini, apples, carrots, cactus paddles, cactus fruit, pears and of course cactus wood, creosote wood and leaves, mesquite and paloverde wood & leaves.
Do you do anything to the cactus paddles or just feed them whole? By pears, do you mean tree fruit or prickly pear? That's a nice list! Thanks. :happy:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Thank you!! I own about every animal and invert there is but I have never kept millipedes before. We are excited to have them and are currently working on a big new terrarium setup to put all of our terrarium inhabitants onto one wall. It will house about twenty different terrariuma in one unit with each inhabitant having it's own seperate habitat, yet they'll all be joined. I will post a thread that details the build in picture's once we start. Right now we are still in the planning atage though. Our hope's are to have the terrariums mounted on the wall over our turtle pond. I just hope we can pull it off! !
That sounds exciting. I used to do aquarium maintenance and one of my clients had a whole wall that looked like one aquarium but it was several aquariums with each one framed out. The backgrounds, lighting and tank décor made it all look like one aquarium. It was hard to clean the high ones. There was a lot of space behind the wall for me to work; it was like a small bedroom.

Last edited:

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Do you do anything to the cactus paddles or just feed them whole? By pears, do you mean tree fruit or prickly pear? That's a nice list! Thanks. :happy:
Thornless prickly pear, I just feed them chunks and even whole paddles, and I totally forgot to put one in your box. :( They love them!

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I call them paddle cactus since prickly pear is a blanket common name. There are a whole bunch of local varieties. Including the sought after beavertail. Here's a picture of a beavertail. I just like saying it. ;)
Beavertail.jpg

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Let me know if you would like to order some substrate and feed/wood. It is the best deal out there.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I was just reviewing these threads again. My Oo's are still fat and heavy. It made me realize something important about millipedes. I know they weigh just a few grams, but if you pay attention when you lift them, you can tell when they are "heavy for their size". When I first lifted the Oo's you sent to me, I had that aha! moment! I can tell now when something might be on the dehydrated side.

I also wanted to say, I put some of the larger caliche pieces in the enclosures and I find them crawling on them a lot. They have their own little mountain range! :cool: Thanks, @DubiaW ! :D