'Orphnaecus pellitus' and 'Orphnaecus sp. Philippines' is the same species?

lant

Arachnopeon
I got two of the orphnaecus sp.(baby)
Its common name is 'Philippines rust orange' to say..
So, 'Philippines rust orange' What is the scientific name?
If that is the scientific name 'Orphnaecus pellitus' if 'Orphnaecus pellitus' and 'Orphnaecus sp. "Philippines" ' is the same species?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If they were bought as "Orphnaecus sp." that means the seller wasn't sure of the ID so rather than selling you a lie he sold you what he did know.

If it's listed as Orpnnaecus sp "Rust Orange" or Orphnaecus sp. "Phillipines" that means it has not yet been scientifically identified and described. It may be synonomous with O. pellitus but that yet remains to be determined by the taxonomists. Species aren't given a proper name like that until they are scientifically described.

winwin

Arachnoknight
Maybe it's the selenobrachys philippinus? Or also known as the Philippine Orange Tarantula. Our version of OBT but a lot less defensive and not so hairy. Lol

lant

Arachnopeon
감사합니다.(thank you)

감사합니다.
thank for answer!
많은 도움이 되었습니다!

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
A pet trade name or a sp. "something" name doesn't automatically mean that the spider is undescribed. It means nothing more than that the spider is not identified to a specific level, just to the generic or subfamilial level. Think about:

Cyriopagopus sp. "blue" >>> Lampropelma violaceopes
Holothele sp. "Guyana" >>> Maraca cabocla (pet trade name is of wrong subfamily even, epic fail)

Usually, there's nothing to guarantee that a spider is properly identified, even when it has a real scientific name associated with it.

Just from seeing two names, in this case Orphnaecus pellitus and Orphnaecus sp. "Philippines", you really can't decide if they are the same or not.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I believe there may be as many as 5 species of Orphnaecus from the Philippines and Id'ing them can be quite tricky!
As of right now there is only one species described from this genus(o.pellitus)
so perhaps that is why this name is often used?
-Chris

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Chris,
When you consider the reality of just how many Orphnaecus spp. may actually exist in The Philippines, I'd multiply that number by maybe up to 10 times ;)
No kidding....
Steve

I believe there may be as many as 5 species of Orphnaecus from the Philippines and Id'ing them can be quite tricky!
As of right now there is only one species described from this genus(o.pellitus)
so perhaps that is why this name is often used?
-Chris

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
I am facing the same problem at a good tropical pet store of mine. Very good with their Reptiles and Inverts as that's all they deal in. They are selling a Orphnaecus sp. I was wondering if it would be a good purchase? How do you care for species of this genus or what can i expect if I buy it? The mystery of what it might be makes the possible purchase exciting lol. Just don't want to jump into buying a living thing without knowing how to properly care for it. Not trying to steal the OP's thread but thought the info might help us both.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am facing the same problem at a good tropical pet store of mine. Very good with their Reptiles and Inverts as that's all they deal in. They are selling a Orphnaecus sp. I was wondering if it would be a good purchase? How do you care for species of this genus or what can i expect if I buy it? The mystery of what it might be makes the possible purchase exciting lol. Just don't want to jump into buying a living thing without knowing how to properly care for it. Not trying to steal the OP's thread but thought the info might help us both.
Keep the same as Chilobrachys or Phlogius, lots of substrate and relatively humid. Always provide shelter.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Thanks Steve I might even pick it up if I can afford it and document some picks so you all might help me identify it. Too bad they want like $130 for it lol

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I have a female O. sp. "Panay Blue" that has really grown on me. I have raised her from a sling &
set her up like Steve has recommended, she has done very well. She has a nice burrow that she doesn't seclude herself in (unless she's in premolt) so I get to see her a lot. I'm seriously considering adding a philippinus or a different species to my list.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
IMG_0816.jpg This one was listed also as O. sp. "Panay Blue" any idea what it actually is?

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
After fishing around this one looks most like a O. sp. Negros to me... but I'm new to this whole thing lol