Genus Ornithoctonus

recluse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Syndicate. Both the Koh Samui and the malthai look very similar to me. Do you have any idea of taxonomic differences. Just curious.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are some really impressive photos in this thread!!!

Good work guys!!! :}

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Syndicate. Both the Koh Samui and the malthai look very similar to me. Do you have any idea of taxonomic differences. Just curious.
One makes trap doors and the other doesn't. Also note the yellow banding at the joints. "Koh Samui" is a dwarf sp too.

I'm sure Chris will elaborate more on the subject.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hello there,
I can assure you they are both different species ;]
First off the species sold as Ornithoctonus sp."Koh samui" is actually a dwarf Island variant of Ornithoctonus aureotibialis found off the coast of Thailand.
Where exactly The "Malthai" species comes from I am not certain.The name "Malthai" was supposedly given to the spiders because they were found in Malaysia/Thailand..I dunno where this name came from originally but my original stock of WC adult females came mixed in with Ornithoctonus aureotibialis to my knowledge.I also heard from someone this species came from Laos.
Regarding Taxonomic differences between these and other Ornithoctonus species there are many!We wont know them all until the Ornithoctoninae revision is published tho I'm afraid!Definitely a very interesting species!Been working on getting these captive bred in the USA for some time now and have just recently been pairing them up ;]
Oh yeah as Jason mentioned they also make fully functional trapdoors hehe!
Hope that clears a few things up for ya!
-Chris

Oh and wish me luck!!!

Larkin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Tioga,

the pictures you have just posted should be placed >>there<< in the "Ornithoctoniane species" thread,

rather than here in the "Genus Ornithoctonus" thread... ;-)

Cheers,
Tomasz

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ornithoctonus sp."Malthai"

Very happy about these!!Hope they do well for me!! :D
-Chris

uli

Arachnopeon
hey Chris,

this is so amazing!! i would love to have some of these here in germany ;-)

greetz uli

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks guys!

Ornithoctonus sp."Koh samui" (Female with eggsack)

VinceG

Arachnobaron
Hey syndicate, congrats of you sp.Malthai eggs with legs and your sp. Hoh Samui eggsac! I have a lot of respect for breeding some ''not seen too often'' Ts!

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great looking female you got there and congrats on the eggs! I am realy starting to like this genus latly, and I wasnt supposed to get any more spiders :}

JOHN 3:16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ornithoctonus sp. 'Koh Samui' This is one of my two inch (2") females. This specie is one of my most attractive tarantulas, but is very elusive.