1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ornithoctonus going downhill

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Venom1080, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Advertisement
    Molted Jun.21. ate once. Was rehoused a few days later. Never burrowed. Webbed a fair bit. 1531425608610711726794.jpg
    (Cage rehoused into.)

Fast forward a couple weeks, no tunneling. Pulled off a leg, very inactive. Seems to have only a little control over back two legs on left side.

Thoughts?

Will post more info in a few hours.

2. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

The enclosure looks too moist for my liking.

I would let it dry out and keep a water dish in there instead. Lets see some pics of your specimen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Venom1080

The peat was freshly moistened. It looks like that as it absorbs the water for a short time.
    IMG_20180712_153440021.jpg
    I moved it to a 16oz deli cup. It pulled off its back left leg. 1531442333609879347577.jpg 1531442421853566358382.jpg
    Seems to have taken the last prekilled cricket.

Attached Files:

4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I like the moisture level, they really need to be kept damp...one of the more prone to dehydration ts out there IME.

I would house it into a significantly larger enclosure personally....they really flourish with lots of space. I also like sub depth for them, but frankly wouldn't personally go as deep as you did....I think that surface space s just as important.

I also prefer to do re houses closer to molting, as this is when the t will automatically want to web and burrow, and this makes the acclimation process much faster. Otherwise species like this can take a long time to adapt to new housing IMO.

Otherwise I don't see it going downhill...what makes you say that? Just looks like its not adapting to the new home quickly.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

A piece of wood as hide, a bit of floor-space, and done :)

6. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

The original enclosure and moisture level look good to me (I try to avoid letting my juvenile's enclosure dry out at all tbh), I usually bung a couple of anchor points outside the burrow entrance and crumble some bits of moss around to incorporate into their webbing.

DSC00002.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  7. Venom1080

New keeper jitters I suppose. ;)

I've been raising a group of Hysterocrates alongside this one. Fantastic burrowers. And they dug massive tunnels overnight in new cages. Just got worried with this one. I'll set the old cage back up again. And not touch it for a week.

The fact it's super lethargic was also key for making this thread.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  8. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    I really do hope yours turn out to be just fine.

Mine molted on Tuesday, and started to roam around a bit today.

3D4BD3D5-8078-42F8-9C50-48512FDA3745.jpeg

9. Venom1080

Thanks. But I doubt it. I leave for a week today. Don't expect to find it alive on my return.

Love the skyscraper. ;)

10. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

I guess no news is good news, hope it pulls through man.

@Lyrognathus What part of my post do you disagree with?

11. Lyrognathus

Lyrognathus Arachnopeon

Canada
    Keeping it drier. They should moist like fossorial Cyriopagopus species, not like African borrowers. I think the humidity/moisture level here is fine. In fact, mine's kept at a similar level.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    I really do hope so too!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1