Ornithoctonus going downhill

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Molted Jun.21. ate once. Was rehoused a few days later. Never burrowed. Webbed a fair bit. 1531425608610711726794.jpg
(Cage rehoused into.)

Fast forward a couple weeks, no tunneling. Pulled off a leg, very inactive. Seems to have only a little control over back two legs on left side.

Thoughts?

Will post more info in a few hours.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The enclosure looks too moist for my liking.

I would let it dry out and keep a water dish in there instead. Lets see some pics of your specimen.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The peat was freshly moistened. It looks like that as it absorbs the water for a short time.
IMG_20180712_153440021.jpg
I moved it to a 16oz deli cup. It pulled off its back left leg. 1531442333609879347577.jpg 1531442421853566358382.jpg
Seems to have taken the last prekilled cricket.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
I like the moisture level, they really need to be kept damp...one of the more prone to dehydration ts out there IME.

I would house it into a significantly larger enclosure personally....they really flourish with lots of space. I also like sub depth for them, but frankly wouldn't personally go as deep as you did....I think that surface space s just as important.

I also prefer to do re houses closer to molting, as this is when the t will automatically want to web and burrow, and this makes the acclimation process much faster. Otherwise species like this can take a long time to adapt to new housing IMO.

Otherwise I don't see it going downhill...what makes you say that? Just looks like its not adapting to the new home quickly.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The original enclosure and moisture level look good to me (I try to avoid letting my juvenile's enclosure dry out at all tbh), I usually bung a couple of anchor points outside the burrow entrance and crumble some bits of moss around to incorporate into their webbing.

DSC00002.JPG

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I like the moisture level, they really need to be kept damp...one of the more prone to dehydration ts out there IME.

I would house it into a significantly larger enclosure personally....they really flourish with lots of space. I also like sub depth for them, but frankly wouldn't personally go as deep as you did....I think that surface space s just as important.

I also prefer to do re houses closer to molting, as this is when the t will automatically want to web and burrow, and this makes the acclimation process much faster. Otherwise species like this can take a long time to adapt to new housing IMO.

Otherwise I don't see it going downhill...what makes you say that? Just looks like its not adapting to the new home quickly.
New keeper jitters I suppose. ;)

I've been raising a group of Hysterocrates alongside this one. Fantastic burrowers. And they dug massive tunnels overnight in new cages. Just got worried with this one. I'll set the old cage back up again. And not touch it for a week.

The fact it's super lethargic was also key for making this thread.

Last edited:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I really do hope yours turn out to be just fine.

Mine molted on Tuesday, and started to roam around a bit today.

3D4BD3D5-8078-42F8-9C50-48512FDA3745.jpeg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That is awesome. It is indeed looking much better!
Yup. I'm pretty happy. I'm not super familiar with Asian fossorials. But how lethargic it was can't be the norm.

Will be fattening heavily over the next couple weeks.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Enclosure looks much better, smart move letting it dry out some and putting a water dish in there.

Wonder if its doing better by mere coincidence? :rolleyes: ;)
15325521934291100362102.jpg
If that's what you mean by drying out I suppose.

Seriously though. That's how peat looks when it's absorbing water. Very dark, looks soaked, etc. Don't know how often you use it, but I have it in about 80% of my collection. Raise Lampropelma on it.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
View attachment 282062
If that's what you mean by drying out I suppose.

Seriously though. That's how peat looks when it's absorbing water. Very dark, looks soaked, etc. Don't know how often you use it, but I have it in about 80% of my collection. Raise Lampropelma on it.
Never have. I thought that was coco fiber to be honest. Still think it looks better though. ;)

Ill give you a tip on those dollarama enclosures, the vent is not nearly as good as it looks. Just keep that in mind when your moistening it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Never have. I thought that was coco fiber to be honest. Still think it looks better though. ;)

Ill give you a tip on those dollarama enclosures, the vent is not nearly as good as it looks. Just keep that in mind when your moistening it.
That's actually a good tip. I tend to treat these the same way as the larger kks. Thanks.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter