1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oregon centipede?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by tacoma0680, Feb 19, 2008.

1. tacoma0680

tacoma0680 Arachnobaron Old Timer

Advertisement
    Does anyone know the name of the centipede that you can find in oregon Or the pacific northwest?

2. Are you sure we're talking about centipdes? There's a species of plate millipede that's very common to the PNW -- it's black with yellow spots on the sides (Harpaphe haydeniana).

If we're talking about centipedes, I know that stone centipedes are just about everywhere you can look under a rock (brown / red, about an inch or two long). There's also soil centipedes that are REALLY long and skinny -- maybe only three inches or so, but very thin and having over 100 pairs of legs.

And on Caco's site you'll find info on the twoish species of Scolopendra we have native here. :)

3. tacoma0680

tacoma0680 Arachnobaron Old Timer

Sweet thanks so much josh I love that site I think the ones that I am seeing in my yard are the Scolopocryptops spinicaudus

4. I think those would be the stone centipedes. :)

(Sorry if I went all weird with the millipede info -- LOTS of people I meet seem to ask about those guys.)

5. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

thanks man.

i haven't been able to get online very much recently.

truth be told i really like it when i see links to stuff i have written. it is likely being famous. a very tiny famous... but still :D

to the OP
    Scolopocryptops are easy to identify. they are the only giant centipedes with 23 walking legpairs.

stone centipedes have 15 walking legpairs.

6. no problem.. did you get your package yet?

7. Bob

Bob Arachnodemon Old Timer

The burnt orange ones are Garden Centipedes /Lithobius sp. I have a few hundred living in my back yard. Look like baby Scolopendra but only reach about 1.25 inches...:D

Bob

8. Bob

Bob Arachnodemon Old Timer

I want to make clear that some of eastern Oregon is dessert and different species live there. I live in colder /wet Portland.............S. Polymorpha can be found in South eastern Oregon where it is much warmer............I found some in Bend years ago....

Bob