Ordering cork bark

NYAN

Arachnoking
Hi all,

A friend and I want to split an order of cork bark. There are a couple places ive seen that offer decent prices for bulk. I want to know if you all have any recommendations. Thanks.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Chris LXXIX Care to share for the rest of the class what is so funny?
When cork bark is mentioned, here in this site, I always think about the old proverb of the 'bread' and 'teeth' :)

For instance, here in Italy cork bark is incredibly cheap and of finest quality, and you can buy in a bulk KG's for less than $20, but then again, they do not ship outside the EU.

The proverb says: "Those with bread, lack teeth, those with teeth, lack bread" :writer:

NYAN

Arachnoking
When cork bark is mentioned, here in this site, I always think about the old proverb of the 'bread' and 'teeth' :)

For instance, here in Italy cork bark is incredibly cheap and of finest quality, and you can buy in a bulk KG's for less than $20, but then again, they do not ship outside the EU.

The proverb says: "Those with bread, lack teeth, those with teeth, lack bread" :writer:

Ah, ok. You all in Europe have nice prices for stuff relating to the hobby.

Do you know why they don’t ship outside the EU?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Awwwww. Today, there was this vendor selling cork barks by lb. I bought many.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Awwwww. Today, there was this vendor selling cork barks by lb. I bought many.
Just rubbing it in eh? The friend of mine who was supposed to go with me said most was sold out. How were the prices?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Maryland cork sells $4.45 per lb according to someone on a FB group, but I'm guessing S/H would bump it up a few more dollars per lb.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Maryland cork sells $4.45 per lb according to someone on a FB group, but I'm guessing S/H would bump it up a few more dollars per lb.
It seems I need to contact them through email or over the phone to order?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Europe was the country that produced most cork back then, especially areas located in Italy, Spain, and I think France as well?? So I wouldn't really be surprised that cork is so cheap over there, compared to how America's expensive pricing is. LOL $9.99 per lb?? that already sounds expensive to me. The only time I buy cork is during reptile conventions, if I can get a hook up for cheaper prices. But most of the time it's gamble for cheaper prices.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It is expensive indeed, but it was the cheapest, out of all vendors.
Well, I would say 1lb is 3 or so small pieces, so it’s not too bad. I normally see them for $4-6 per piece.
I don't really like buying small pieces, because at the end of the day I find it better to buy just one large piece and cut to the sizes needed for my inverts. Unless i'm looking for specific shapes of cork, I wouldn't buy small pieces. It saves me money to just buy a large piece of cork and last a year or so with it. Because with around 50 T.'s it can get a little troublesome with how much cork is needed for them. Especially the arboreal T.'s that need way more cork to climb on.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I don't really like buying small pieces, because at the end of the day I find it better to buy just one large piece and cut to the sizes needed for my inverts. Unless i'm looking for specific shapes of cork, I wouldn't buy small pieces. It saves me money to just buy a large piece of cork and last a year or so with it. Because with around 50 T.'s it can get a little troublesome with how much cork is needed for them. Especially the arboreal T.'s that need way more cork to climb on.

Small and medium pieces are usually fine for me. I will often cut the small pieces for sling enclosures and other small stuff.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
My tarantulas are all slings/juvies, and I always clean, and reuse cork barks. Also I have only a couple of arboreals, so yeah. :angelic:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I just checked from my dealer, a wood artisan of Brescia city: 18 lb (8 Kg) of finest quality cork bark for $49 :pompous:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you know why they don’t ship outside the EU?
Shipping is more expensive, sometimes import/export issues arrise that costs more money. Really depends on the item and laws.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Cork bark is an expensive commodity here in Canada, even U.S. prices would be a help.