Ordering a Heteroscodra Maculata next week, what to expect?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Why do you want to rush into OWs so quickly without any experience, especially OW arboreals? The only reason I did it was because I had experience with hot snakes, and hot insects (used to keep wasps and bees) Just go with something easier, and something you won't effectively help end the hobby with your disregard and stupidity. @crlovel did something dumb, but he had experience and know-how.
pretty stupid regardless to be honest.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Watching youtube videos won't prepare you for the real thing. You can read up all you want, watch all the videos you want, the only thing that will prepare you is experience. Getting experience? - work your way up. I highly suggest you get yourself some psalmos. Preferably P. Cambridgei as a 1st aboreal. Raise this specie to adulthood without issues, then get yourself a P. Irminia. If you can handle a adult P. Irminia you'll be fine owning a poecie. If you can handle a poecie you'll be able to work with an H. mac.

But an H. Mac as a 1st aboreal is a terrible idea. Why the rush? You're litteraly leaping over a ton of wonderfull and beautifull, fun to own species - a big miss if you ask me.

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
Have you thought about Stromatopelma calcaetum? It's the only OW I can think of that may be faster and more potent than H. maculata. Very, very cool. You'll only screw up once - but hey, you got this!

cold blood

Staff member
haha yes this will be my first aboreal

Maybe I'll get lucky and have one like yours :p
Don't hope to get lucky, gain experience so you don't have to cross your fingers and carry a rabbits foot....it really helps immensely.

yes read the h mac reports first then stuff like s. calceatum (probably the only T i promise myself to never get) and various other pokies and old worlds. Not cute stuff.
H. mac is in exactly the same boat as the S. cal you promise to never get.

Not sure what you mean by "cute stuff"...even a fluffy avic is a stone cold killer....they just won't send you to the hospital.

Not really tbh but I do plan on watching a ton more rehousing videos and videos to make sure i'm absolutely sure i know what i'm getting into. Haven't ordered anything yet and may just go with a pokie instead if I end up finding something the same price/size as the mac i'm looking at.
Watching videos will not give you the experience you need, in reality what it will do is simply give you a false sense of confidence (which I already sense).

A pokie would be just as ill advised of a purchase. The rate they grow will far out pace your gained experience.

Working your way towards advanced species is truly a big help in dealing with them...heck I have had ts for 15 years, it was just a couple years ago that I got my first H. macs. I cannot imagine dealing with them (or pokies) at an early stage in the hobby, its a recipe for disaster and not fair to the keeper or the spider IMO.

Look at Psalmos at the least (but don't poo poo avics because of some preconceived notion, either...I made that mistake and now see how ridiculous I was), Psalms are very old world like, lack urticating setae and are exceptionally fast, and while they do have stronger NW venom, its a far cry from the others you are wanting. P. cams are great spiders and one of my all time favs...I like them way way way way more than H. mac, too. But I like every avic I have way more, too....and I love OW's and have a lot of them.

Ryuti

Arachnopeon
Have you thought about Stromatopelma calcaetum? It's the only OW I can think of that may be faster and more potent than H. maculata. Very, very cool. You'll only screw up once - but hey, you got this!
aw yeah that was my first choice but it was too expensive :/

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Don't hope to get lucky, gain experience so you don't have to cross your fingers and carry a rabbits foot....it really helps immensely.

H. mac is in exactly the same boat as the S. cal you promise to never get.

Not sure what you mean by "cute stuff"...even a fluffy avic is a stone cold killer....they just won't send you to the hospital.

Watching videos will not give you the experience you need, in reality what it will do is simply give you a false sense of confidence (which I already sense).

A pokie would be just as ill advised of a purchase. The rate they grow will far out pace your gained experience.

Working your way towards advanced species is truly a big help in dealing with them...heck I have had ts for 15 years, it was just a couple years ago that I got my first H. macs. I cannot imagine dealing with them (or pokies) at an early stage in the hobby, its a recipe for disaster and not fair to the keeper or the spider IMO.

Look at Psalmos at the least (but don't poo poo avics because of some preconceived notion, either...I made that mistake and now see how ridiculous I was), Psalms are very old world like, lack urticating setae and are exceptionally fast, and while they do have stronger NW venom, its a far cry from the others you are wanting. P. cams are great spiders and one of my all time favs...I like them way way way way more than H. mac, too. But I like every avic I have way more, too....and I love OW's and have a lot of them.
Right on there, especially with the poecs. I got 2 regalis in November, they're now almost adults, and I got them at 2''

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
H.maculata are like 'Vampires', they hate light :)

IMO if you ask me, 0.1 specimen, on a "aesthethics" level only, dang those are beautiful.

P.murinus, what's the issue with the water dish & web? Offer him/her lots of inches for burrow and there's slightly % to save the dish from web. That works for me (still i took off those for cleaning).

They are both easy to care for Theraphosidae, seriously, but not easy to work/deal with, without proper experience.

In terms of temperament IMO nothing if compared to a 0.1 bulky P.muticus out of her burrow, hissing and striking multiple in a row to everything that moves (my baby, basically :angelic:) but, on the other hand, more unpredictable with a speed and a fast dash you can't imagine.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's quite sad that sometimes too much people lose, for following the OW fast track mania, the opportunity to work with amazing NW high strung Theraphosidae like P.irminia, P.cambridgei, genus Ephebopus, genus Phormictopus, M.robustum, genus Pamphobeteus etc

I haven't mentioned 'Avics' for a reason, IMO those are a "ladder" to nowhere, save for poop cleaning.

LittleT

Arachnopeon
From your previous thread, you've only been keeping T's for around a month?! http://arachnoboards.com/threads/new-t-owner-have-some-questions.281266/

Why do you want a Heteroscodra maculata specifically? Maybe if people know why they can recommend another species for you to take a look at although you've had plenty of recommendations already :)
I really wouldn't rush into OW species, enjoy getting some experience with fast adult T's first because spiderlings are generally easy but it can be completely different when dealing with an adult in my opinion. Really think about it because it's a decision that could effect the other people you live with, especially if it escapes. I haven't been keeping T's that long really, only four years or so and I'm still not brave enough to get some species I want because I don't want to end up with an T that I'm terrified of dealing with and at the moment my Neoholothele fasciaaurinigra are plenty quick enough for me! :rofl:

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Good God, listen to the people. I'm not going to lie - this species is a joy. I own three of them, one of them being a subadult. But this extends beyond the experience needed to deal with their speed and venom (which will send you to the hospital, make no mistake). They have a narrow range of proper care, especially the younger specimens like the 2.5" you're describing. They are the most fragile slings I've ever dealt with. You're bringing up cost a lot, which I understand. You could very easily end up with a dead spider if you're not more experienced. The warnings of speed and venom clearly don't matter, but take the warning of wasted money very seriously. You have no experience with fragile slings.

I truly do hope that you listen to the years of experience on this thread. We're not ganging up on you, we're not demeaning you, we just want you to actually enjoy this hobby. Getting an H. mac at this stage will ensure that you will not enjoy your time with it. By the time I bought my first H. mac, I had owned several fast, severely venomous spiders. I wasn't ready, even for a juvie. I ended up with one that died and one that was way outside of my league. Trust me, you really don't want this spider.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Honestly i wouldn't get a H. Mac as your first T.

But at the same time, i also want to get an H. Mac and everyone also Told me i should never own one! haha.

Now I'm not going to say everyone here is wrong and you should ignore them, because lets face it, everybody here has years and years of experience (some have had T's longer then I've been alive) BUT if you are absolutely going to do it, and disregard what everyone has been saying, Please try to be as safe as possible about it!

with that being said, i still would suggest 1 or 2 other species to get first (though what those good experience builders are, i wouldn't know, When i Posted about getting an H. Mac eventually(and i did make it obviously that would be a big long eventually) down the road, everyone basically told me never ever ever and there is nothing that will be able to give me the experience needed, Which is slightly ironic)

But i would suggest just from what I've seen/experienced/read going Avic --> "calmer/slower" OW ---> Pokie ---> Another poke ---> OBT ---> H. Mac. with all of these you can find absolutely Beautiful T's. it might be a few years but, honestly i feel it would be better to get a T when you can handle and enjoy it, rather then ending up with a dead tarantula or in the hospital with a crazy defensive T hiding somewhere in your room for when you get back.

But its all up to you. i know people who have gotten OBT's and s. calceatum's as their very first T's, who are still in the hobby 10-15 years down the road with no major issues. but i also know people that got Rose hairs for their first and managed to kill them. so its all up to you in the end.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
But at the same time, i also want to get an H. Mac and everyone also Told me i should never own one! haha.
I don't think anyone said/meant that you should never own one. What was meant is that you should work your way up to that species until you have enough experience and are comfortable enough to own one.

Newbies should never own a H. Mac - but after experience is gained I don't see the big issue.

And avics won't prep one for a poecie. The best species to own before diving into poecies are psalmos and taps.

Ryuti

Arachnopeon
Not that I still don't want a h mac (i'm still gonna get one, maybe just not right now) but I might end up getting a 2" P irminia and a 1" P. cambridgei.

Gonna email the person about a shipping quote.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Not that I still don't want a h mac (i'm still gonna get one, maybe just not right now) but I might end up getting a 2" P irminia and a 1" P. cambridgei.

Those are better choices. Raise those to adulthood (they grow very fast, my P. Cam males matured within a year) then get a poecie or two, raise those to adulthood before getting a H. Mac.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

Can't go wrong with genus Psalmopoeus. As i've said, as i continue to say, 'Avics', while indeed class A Theraphosidae (yeah, they're cool...) can't teach nothing to someone really interested in a serious 'arboreal track' that will lead one day, him/her, to arboreal 'Baboons' and other high strung arboreal Asians (and i'm not talking about shy as hell 'Pokies').

On the other hand, genus Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus, can. Yes, they can, lol.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i solved this by putting another water dish on top of the old one,
You stacked one dish on top of another? I can't visualize how this helped webbing over a dish and husbandry haha, I'm visually challenged haha

I think everyone needs to let @Ryuti get an H. mac, no more advice, that OP is dead set on getting a T, it's a free country. I don't care if s/he gets one and the OP's entire family and geckos die of a wild H mac. Some people need to learn by jumping into the fire first and getting burned. It's a fact of life, Darwin works in mysterious ways. Others jump in and walk through unscathed.

Now, if I was his/her gecko, I'd make an escape and leave.