Order adult Theraphosa sp. from backwater reptiles?

ArachnaeEsoterica

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure of the review of this vendor. I've seen a bird eater around here for $250 and thought it might be better to order this girl online. I wasn't sure about the reviews of backwater reptiles, I've heard mixed. But since the species is hardy I'm hoping for an individual with good health.

crlovel

Arachnopeon
I've heard absolutely nothing good of this vendor. I have no experience with them, though.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
honestly id be more willing to trust some breeders on here then on back water reptiles. I've never heard anything good, but a few people that breed around here where i live(arizona) have had nothing but bad things to say. mostly about T's arriving Dead, or being the wrong species all together.

The best I've heard as far as bad stories was 4 arriving all dead, and they claimed it was because of the Desert heat of arizona and that it was his own risk, , when it was the middle of march, and temperatures don't except 70-80 degrees at their hottest.

and the funniest I've seen was my friend ordering a T. stirmi Female, and he got a T. Blondi Male. How they managed to mix that up is beyond us, but he was incredibly Mad, as he already has a Male T. Stirmi and wanted a Breeding partner. He ended up selling him at his shop for the same price he paid online)minus shipping costs) and just bought one from a different site. Now he is the proud owner of 80+ T Stirmi slings :D

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
No no no no no no no no no no no no no. You're doing the right thing by asking. I've ordered from them three times and each time i was disappointed with the spider. What they advertise is not what they sell you and try to rip you off by giving you smaller tarantulas than what you asked for. Just don't. You're way better off ordering from someone like Ken the bug guy or Net-bug.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
If the reviews on here about them are bad, why take the risk and order from them? I heard the reviews on their main site is fabricated as well. Read the reviews here on AB and order from someone reputable. Ordering from backwater - chances are you'll be disappointed. You'll either have a dead spider, a total misidentified spider, or if you order female you'll end up receiving a male.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
All I have heard is bad things about them. I would go with breeders on the boards here or kenthebugguy.com or swiftinverts.com or jamiestarantulas.com or petcenterusa.net

I'm sure there's other reputible places but those three I listed I've either heard great things or have personal experience. I've gotten all my T's from Jamies but I feel very confident and comfortable ordering from the other three simply from what I've heard for their reviews. Swifts I know gives out freebies depending on what you order, same with petcenterusa.net

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
If the reviews on here about them is bad, why take the risk and order from them? I heard the reviews on their main site is fabricated. Read the reviews here on AB and order from someone reputable. Ordering from backwater - chances are you'll be disappointed. You'll either have a dead spider, a total misidentified spider, or if you order female you'll end up receiving a male.
My expirences with them havnt been that bad. All of the species were correct but we're not the size they were advertised as. There were a couple of "I paid $80 for that?!?!" Moments. But I assure you I'll never order from them again.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I would talk to them and make sure your aware of what your getting for that price. It doesn't specify size but for 99$ for a T. blondi, I'd say chances are it's a sling. From what I understand T. blondi are hard to come by because they're difficult due to the sensitivity a lot of people have to their hairs so not many breed them and the requirements to actually rear them. Not that I know for sure but that's the impression I've recieved. I would suggest looking into LP's Lasiodora parahybana or Salmon Pink Bird Eater. They don't get as big as the T. blondi but they still get fairly large in size and they're supposed to be active and great display animals as well as fast growers and big eaters. I got an LP sling from Jamies for 22 bucks. It's going to be awesome to watch this tiny .5" sling grow up to around 8-9".

https://jamiestarantulas.com/lasiodora-parahybana-salmon-pink-birdeater-3-4-1/

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I checked all of those sites and none of them have Therasophas listed.
I've checked them all for Green Bottle Blues and they're out of those as well. I'm just going to have to wait. For the money your paying you want to make sure your getting what your paying for. It's just the universes way of teaching us patience.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I would talk to them and make sure your aware of what your getting for that price. It doesn't specify size but for 99$ for a T. blondi, I'd say chances are it's a sling. From what I understand T. blondi are hard to come by because they're difficult due to the sensitivity a lot of people have to their hairs so not many breed them and the requirements to actually rear them. Not that I know for sure but that's the impression I've recieved. I would suggest looking into LP's Lasiodora parahybana or Salmon Pink Bird Eater. They don't get as big as the T. blondi but they still get fairly large in size and they're supposed to be active and great display animals as well as fast growers and big eaters. I got an LP sling from Jamies for 22 bucks. It's going to be awesome to watch this tiny .5" sling grow up to around 8-9".

As far as I know, they are difficult to come by because they are difficult to breed and to get a viable sac from, they are also quite sensitive to incorrect husbandry.

Thus why I would rather suggest OP get a T. Stirmi instead. They grow just as big, looks like a less-hairier version of T. blondi and they are hardier than T. blondi.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight

i would also suggest a Salmon pink, L. Parahybana, While not quite as large, they are still comparability large with the added benefit of those beautiful little pink hairs!

And they are incredibly active and great eaters. They are also much cheaper then the Therasophas T's, like i got an unsexed ~3-3.5" L. Parahybana for 25$(came with an enclosure and credit for 5 dozen crickets) but had the option for a Confirmed Female for 35$ roughly the same size(she had just molted though, mines starting pre-molt atm so hopefully all goes well!)

But if you absolutely do want a Therasophas, id suggest checking out some of the Reputable sellers on here, or Maybe net bug, or jaimestarantulas. both I've heard amazing reviews and experiences with.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
First of all, almost all of the Theraphosa for sale in the US are stirmi, including almost all of those labeled 'blondi.' It's not a good sign when the dealer can't get the name right. If a Theraphosa is sent (probably a 50/50 shot in this case), it will be a stirmi, most likely a sling from a female that came in gravid.

What's the OP's experience level? These are intermediate/advanced species. Has he read about the hairs, the worst in the tarantula family? Does he know how to keep them properly? These are not tarantulas for beginner to get on an impulse buy.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
You could check the for sale/want to buy section of the forums.
This was going to be my suggestion as well. Put up a wanted ad and/or browse what is being sold there. Its much better to wait for the T you want to become available with a high quality dealer than to buy from a dealer with a poor reputation where you might not even get what you purchased or might end up with a dead spider.

ArachnaeEsoterica

Arachnopeon
This was going to be my suggestion as well. Put up a wanted ad and/or browse what is being sold there. Its much better to wait for the T you want to become available with a high quality dealer than to buy from a dealer with a poor reputation where you might not even get what you purchased or might end up with a dead spider.

Paypal is weird, rather keep it mastercard simple.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
If you want dead or mislabeled animals go for it. Also, as @Poec54 said, Theraphosa aren't for beginners (which you qualify as) I don't keep NW as just my tiny Haploplus sling's hairs irritate me, and these guys have hairs literally bigger than that entire spider. The one time I ordered from backwater, everything I got was either dead, or died within hours.