Orb Weaver id?

StAugBob

Arachnopeon
The first time I saw this spider was just after walking through her web with my face and wrapping the web around my head LOL. Of course the first thing I did was look for her to make sure she didn't fall in my shirt or somewhere else. Then I saw her hanging buy a small piece of the web I had just ruined.

I am used to the Golden silk or banana spiders and have done the same with their webs several times. Although I don't see as many golden like in the past.

This particular spider I have never seen before. I think it is possible a Tropical orb weaver. She is so cool. She only builds her web every other night I think. I watched her build from start last night and she is a speed demon fast. What is strange is every morning the web is gone.

Pictures are kinda washed out so hopefully good enough for id. 20170831_003541.jpg

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
The first time I saw this spider was just after walking through her web with my face and wrapping the web around my head LOL. Of course the first thing I did was look for her to make sure she didn't fall in my shirt or somewhere else. Then I saw her hanging buy a small piece of the web I had just ruined.

I am used to the Golden silk or banana spiders and have done the same with their webs several times. Although I don't see as many golden like in the past.

This particular spider I have never seen before. I think it is possible a Tropical orb weaver. She is so cool. She only builds her web every other night I think. I watched her build from start last night and she is a speed demon fast. What is strange is every morning the web is gone.

Pictures are kinda washed out so hopefully good enough for id. View attachment 250729
Although the photo effect makes it look like a skeleton! After reading a bit about these the green patch and the white coloring seem so lovely

Last edited:

StAugBob

Arachnopeon
Hey thanks for a positive I D. When searching orbweavers in Florida there were not too many to choose from.

Usually other then the very common spiders I have hard time I'D most and this one does have so many varieties of its looks.

And yeah she and her web are beautiful. Hope she will stick around for awhile. She may not because for some reason the moths and night flying bugs have disappeared. I could not even find anything to throw in the web so I haven't even seen her in action yet.

Last edited: