1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orange and Black Cpede from Big Bend region S. heros?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Nomadinexile, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Nomadinexile

Nomadinexile Arachnoking

Advertisement
    This is a good size pede, at least six inches, but way wider and chunkier than anything like S. polymorpha. Size wise, looks like a S. heros a molt or two from maturity. It's orange and black on each segment, not striped, but kind of like a splotch of paint dropped on a stripe leaving a circle (ish) pattern on other color. Sorry, I can't post pics on library, but will when I can.

So are there any other large, chunky, Cpedes here? Or is this an S. heros color form? And if so, do we have any names?

THanks! R :geek:

---------- Post added 04-18-2012 at 12:04 PM ----------

ps., I am not in Odessa, but in Big Bend. I put it in title, but sometimes people miss that. :D

2. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

Yeah that's a heros. You prob noticed the last two tergites are solid black like heros heros. To me I see it as a color form of the color form heros heros lol. I've seen pics of some around El Paso that barely have that black pattern going on. I had a pair, they mated and I let the female get out right after.
    :mad:

found an old pic
    [​IMG]

3. Nomadinexile

Nomadinexile Arachnoking

Thanks for reply, I'll have to look at pic when I get back to civilization. At Terlingua library, which also happens to be school library, which is blocking pics here. I should have pics for you too when I make it back. This one came out in middle of day on friends wall in his house! They all ran at it with kitchen knives, but I saved it. :D

4. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

Here's another pic. I saw a couple out in the middle of the day also, walking around on a boulder. One was obviously looking for something to eat, the other one crawled in a crack.
    [​IMG]

5. stingray

stingray Arachnobaron Active Member

Good stuff. Looking forward to seeing your pics to!

6. Nomadinexile

Nomadinexile Arachnoking

can see on this comp, that is is Gala. Thanks!

7. zonbonzovi

zonbonzovi Creeping beneath you Staff Member

I'm sure you've posted this before but...oh hell, I don't even know what to say about it. S. heros distribution makes my head hurt.