Options for a 10 gallon tank?

Frazam

Arachnosquire
I've a 10 gallon fish tank that I'll be having a lid made for. The dimensions are 17 x 11 x 12. I was thinking of having a divider installed, which would make each section 8.5 x 11 x 12.

What can I put in those spaces? My AF vagans? Or will the floor space be too cramped for her?

Two arboreal species? Or should I add 2 dividers so I can keep 3 arboreal species? Will the space be sufficient? Too much?

Divide the space so one side is 11" long and the other is 6"? For one terrestrial and one arboreal?

Or should I forego the dividers and use it as a, maybe, p. Metallica communal?

I don't have any Arboreal Ts yet btw. As much as I'd like a p. Met communal, I think having space for 2 or three different species is better. But I'm concerned if the space is sufficient.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
For a AF B. vagans, that's a little cramp. Is it just one lid??? if so, then a divided enclosure is pretty bad. Asian arboreal's have some of the worst venom bites out there. And P. metallica are not communal :banghead:, they can tolerate each other until juveniles, which they will start cannibalizing one another after that. How many T.'s do you own??? sounds like you just recently got into the hobby. I recommend you stop the split enclosure idea :stop:, because its too risky with the amount of experience you have. And also stop the idea of having a P. metallica or any OW arboreal in general :stop:, since you don't have experience with arboreal T.'s. You should build your experience up step-by-step, rather than just taking a huge jump into something dangerous. ;)

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
People have done pokie communals before but if you’ve never had an arboreal and want to get into old worlds arboreals you should start with a psalmopeous to introduce you to there speed I’m not gonna tell you what to do but with the lack of experience it’s gonna be overwhelming to try your hand at p.met communal, with that being said do what you want I or no one else can stop you just understand the risk of keeping pokies one bite from these may make you rethink about being in the hobby labored breathing, nausea, vomiting plus the shear pain of the bite itself is not to be taken lightly you can look up ornata bite reports, I would say hold off on a communal until you have experience with just one

The ten gallon won’t fit multiple adult species unless there dwarf species like an incei, brunnipes even at that I Would just use a different enclosure and just put b.vagans in the ten gallon with 4-5” of substrate maybe more depending on how comfortable I felt with the distance from the top to the substrate or turn it into an arboreal enclosure standing up long ways and add a door

Last edited by a moderator:

Frazam

Arachnosquire
I already have a balf community, and I read p. Mets can be housed together. But honestly, I have my hands full with the balfs and don't want any other communal in the meantime.

H. Incei, i plan on getting a couple of those. I love dwarf Ts.

As for the tank, yeah, I guess I'll just leave the divider idea out. It was just a thought, an extra tank.

Havent been bit by a T before, I keep handling at a minimum unless necessary. Even the vagans, I haven't held once. Though I have been stung by level 3 and 4 scorpions, which was unpleasant.

Ts I currently have is the AF vagans, an AF hapalopus sp. Columbia large, a 3" Gbb, and a communal of balfs. I have a bunch of scorps, some centipedes, and 20 years experience with reptiles (snakes and lizards) and scorps. I do admit that I just got into Ts recently. That said, after handling venomous snakes, lightning quick centipedes, and sneaky scorps for years, I know enough to respect Ts.

I'm not sure about getting an arboreal though. Ive always been hesitant with arboreals (even with reptiles). No reason other than I just haven't been too interested.

Just looking for ideas what to do with my extra tank. I can just divide it, put the hapalopus (since it's too cramped for the vagans), and use the other section for my scorps.

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
I already have a balf community, and I read p. Mets can be housed together. But honestly, I have my hands full with the balfs and don't want any other communal in the meantime.

H. Incei, i plan on getting a couple of those. I love dwarf Ts.

As for the tank, yeah, I guess I'll just leave the divider idea out. It was just a thought, an extra tank.

Havent been bit by a T before, I keep handling at a minimum unless necessary. Even the vagans, I haven't held once. Though I have been stung by level 3 and 4 scorpions, which was unpleasant.

Ts I currently have is the AF vagans, an AF hapalopus sp. Columbia large, a 3" Gbb, and a communal of balfs. I have a bunch of scorps, some centipedes, and 20 years experience with reptiles (snakes and lizards) and scorps. I do admit that I just got into Ts recently. That said, after handling venomous snakes, lightning quick centipedes, and sneaky scorps for years, I know enough to respect Ts.

I'm not sure about getting an arboreal though. Ive always been hesitant with arboreals (even with reptiles). No reason other than I just haven't been too interested.

Just looking for ideas what to do with my extra tank. I can just divide it, put the hapalopus (since it's too cramped for the vagans), and use the other section for my scorps.
Yes there’s been a couple Poecilotheria communals but most lead to canniblism and I believe the ones I’ve read are semi successful are sac mates but it very rare they work over a year, I’m sure the tank will be fine but my worry about divider idea is if the T gets in with the scorps it’s not a for sure thing but may happen, I would start a bioactive 10 gallon and maybe try a chilobrachys in said enclosure since they require more humidity then others but that can also go bad experiments are good in my opinion can’t answer what hasn’t been tried just wonder, I’m gonna probably get flack for that but I’m a curious human. Arboreals are fast but some of my favorite and most amazing looking in my opinion are arboreals like pokies I love pokies there not a horror story like most believe you just need patience with rehousing try not to spook them if you do close it up if they haven’t got out and wait for them to cool down spooked pokies are a pain, p.irminia are another favorite I like the females there gorgeous and got a little bit of an attitude to them, in my opinion don’t write arboreals off there awesome like all T’s and will capture your intrest after owning them like most do definitely get an arboreal awesome. I will also be getting a couple more incei on Saturday off a trade for irminias excited for them

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The dimensions are 17 x 11 x 12. I was thinking of having a divider installed, which would make each section 8.5 x 11 x 12.
Most of us recommend against using a divided enclosure, because one occupant invariably teleports to the other side, and you end up with one fat tarantula.

Frazam

Arachnosquire
No divider then. I have seen instances where one occupant suddenly went into the other side. So that leaves me with a 10 gallon enclosure.

Hmmm. Isn't it too big for a vagans? I can make a bioactive terrarium but again, won't it be too big? Im not into large Ts. Up to medium sized ones is my max. But who knows? I check out the chilobrachys too.

I'm guessing a 10 gallon tank is too big for an arboreal? How about the niggerimum? I love the deep black. How are they?

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
No divider then. I have seen instances where one occupant suddenly went into the other side. So that leaves me with a 10 gallon enclosure.

Hmmm. Isn't it too big for a vagans? I can make a bioactive terrarium but again, won't it be too big? Im not into large Ts. Up to medium sized ones is my max. But who knows? I check out the chilobrachys too.

I'm guessing a 10 gallon tank is too big for an arboreal? How about the niggerimum? I love the deep black. How are they?
It depends who you ask some say it’s too big others say it’s fine for the b.vagans just add around 4-6 inch of substrate more substrate the better and it will be fine as long as you use an acrylic top instead of the mesh screen I’m setting one up for an rufilata soon just waiting for materials to get here but you would stand it upon the side for an arboreal instead of the natural way for it to sit so your front and back in this instances would be your sides vice versa for your sides look up tarantula guy on YouTube uses 10 gallons all the time for arboreals and I have no info on that particular species never owned one

Last edited:

Frazam

Arachnosquire
It depends who you ask some say it’s too big others say it’s fine for the b.vagans just add around 4-6 inch of substrate more substrate the better and it will be fine as long as you use an acrylic top instead of the mesh screen I’m setting one up for an rufilata soon just waiting for materials to get here but you would stand it upon the side for an arboreal instead of the natural way for it to sit so your front and back in this instances would be your sides vice versa for your sides look up tarantula guy on YouTube uses 10 gallons all the time for arboreals and I have no info on that particular species never owned one
Yeah, my vagans currently has 4 inches of substrate and she has stays under 80% of the time. A network of tunnels with 3 entrances. Thanks for all the replies. One thing is for certain, no more divider.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What about a Theraphosa (with a lot of substrate to prevent fall injuries)?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Plenty of divider stories where 2 became one.... Good luck!

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I have my 4.5”-5” Female Brachypelma hamorii in a 10 gallon aquarium and she is doing great! Some may say that a 10 gallon is WAY too big for a 5” T, but I don’t have a large collection, so I don’t have an issue with space. With the way I have it set up, she has a decent amount of floor space, and she has settled in nicely, sitting out in the open during the warmer months, while hiding away during the winter! I’m currently out of town, but when I get back I’ll post pics :)

Last edited:

Frazam

Arachnosquire
I have my 4.5”-5” Female Brachypelma hamorii in a 10 gallon aquarium and she is doing great! Some may say that a 10 gallon is WAY too big for a 5” T, but I don’t have a large collection, so I have a lot of room for it. With the way I have it set up, she has a decent amount of floor space, and she has settled in nicely, sitting out in the open during the warmer months, while hiding away during the winter! I’m currently out of town, but when I get back I’ll post pics :)
Cool. Will wait for the pics. Would love to get some inspiration :) the biggest I have is a 4.5"-5" female vagans, and I was thinking of rehousing her in it since she's my favorite. Other than my balfouris, my other Ts are smaller species.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Cool. Will wait for the pics. Would love to get some inspiration :) the biggest I have is a 4.5"-5" female vagans, and I was thinking of rehousing her in it since she's my favorite. Other than my balfouris, my other Ts are smaller species.
One thing I will add though is that you will have to replace the screen lid with vented plexiglass. Because if you don’t, and the T happens to climb, it could potentially get its foot caught in the screen lid, and that is a BIG problem. I haven’t gotten around to replacing the screen lid on my 10 gal. tank due to time constraints, and my T doesn’t climb so I don’t have to worry about this as much, but it is definitely worth mentioning :)

Frazam

Arachnosquire
One thing I will add though is that you will have to replace the screen lid with vented plexiglass. Because if you don’t, and the T happens to climb, it could potentially get its foot caught in the screen lid, and that is a BIG problem. I haven’t gotten around to replacing the screen lid on my 10 gal. tank due to time constraints, and my T doesn’t climb so I don’t have to worry about this as much, but it is definitely worth mentioning :)
If I put the vagans, I don't think it'll be a problem. She's nearly mature yet burrows like a sling. Her burrows inside her current 3 gal enclo has 3 different entrances and stays under 90% of the time.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
If I put the vagans, I don't think it'll be a problem. She's nearly mature yet burrows like a sling. Her burrows inside her current 3 gal enclo has 3 different entrances and stays under 90% of the time.
That’s interesting. Is she WC or CB? Just curious, as I’ve heard that B. vagans actually burrow in the wild.

Frazam

Arachnosquire
She's CB. She only started burrowing around two months ago. Prior to that, she just used her hid sparingly and sat out in the open. Then she started digging non-stop. Digging out the extra two entrances from within her burrow. She has a main entrance though, and only uses the other two entrances to ambush prey.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
She's CB. She only started burrowing around two months ago. Prior to that, she just used her hid sparingly and sat out in the open. Then she started digging non-stop. Digging out the extra two entrances from within her burrow. She has a main entrance though, and only uses the other two entrances to ambush prey.
Huh, that’s still pretty cool though. She’s got her little maze going for sure, haha.