My scorpions

basin79

ArachnoGod
If I'm remembering correctly, they are the scorpion version of a pet hole. I'm not as informed on Opistophthalmus as I'd like to be. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can offer more. At least yours has built her little cave where you can look in though. She definitely looks pretty good size wise.
Oh yes. They are definitely a pet hole. I knew that. I'd be happy just seeing her claws at the entrance to her burrow so I knew she was hungry.

I'm extremely fortunate though I'm able to see her though in her burrow.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
You'd probably love my little Buthus draa, Loki. He/she does exactly what you described wanting. Built a small burrow in the sand and I know to toss in a little cricket when I see the pincers peeking out and open.
Definitely a species to consider down the line if you're into scorpions even half as much as tarantulas.

basin79

ArachnoGod
You'd probably love my little Buthus draa, Loki. He/she does exactly what you described wanting. Built a small burrow in the sand and I know to toss in a little cricket when I see the pincers peeking out and open.
Definitely a species to consider down the line if you're into scorpions even half as much as tarantulas.
That'll be DWA here in the UK and I don't have that licence.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Oh yeah, I always forget the necessary licensing over there. :meh: That eliminates quite a few species doesn't it?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Oh yeah, I always forget the necessary licensing over there. :meh: That eliminates quite a few species doesn't it?
It does yes. Some I can fully understand. But some there's no need. Our DWA list is a mess. It needs a massive overhaul really. But typing that I'm sure if that happened they've put Scolopendra sp on it and Sicarius sp.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
It does yes. Some I can fully understand. But some there's no need. Our DWA list is a mess. It needs a massive overhaul really. But typing that I'm sure if that happened they've put Scolopendra sp on it and Sicarius sp.
Sounds similar to the regulations for reptiles here in Massachusetts. Some, like venomous species should definitely be regulated and controlled. Though, the ban on some of the larger constrictors were placed in part because of outlandish fears.
It really is a shame when government decides what people can keep with, at best, minimal input from those who actually know the animals.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sounds similar to the regulations for reptiles here in Massachusetts. Some, like venomous species should definitely be regulated and controlled. Though, the ban on some of the larger constrictors were placed in part because of outlandish fears.
It really is a shame when government decides what people can keep with, at best, minimal input from those who actually know the animals.
Aye. In the UK a vet has to come and give your setup the once over and will also tell you what they want to see. The vet is "just" a vet. No experience in snakes, lizards, spiders, scorpions etcetera. It's crazy.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Aye. In the UK a vet has to come and give your setup the once over and will also tell you what they want to see. The vet is "just" a vet. No experience in snakes, lizards, spiders, scorpions etcetera. It's crazy.
Yeah, I read up on the DWA over there. I suppose with the right vet it would be a bit smoother. Though that £250 or however much is crazy.
Here species like Rock pythons, anacondas, and reticulated pythons are just banned. No options for keepers.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah, I read up on the DWA over there. I suppose with the right vet it would be a bit smoother. Though that £250 or however much is crazy.
Here species like Rock pythons, anacondas, and reticulated pythons are just banned. No options for keepers.
Local councils can charge what they like for DWA. So for instance a council in London might decide to charge £1500. My area was £350 I think when I checked about 5 years ago.

To be honest with what's happening in Florida I'm not surprised. And really there should be a licence for the large constrictors over here. There's literally nothing stopping a 16 year old buying a mainland retic online. A year later you've got an 8ft+ snake.

I had 2 50% dwarf retics. Bia my purple retic bit me twice. She was only 13ft and it bloody really hurt. If I wasn't strong and calm she'd have broke my arm/wrist I think. Unbelievably strong for such a same snake.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Local councils can charge what they like for DWA. So for instance a council in London might decide to charge £1500. My area was £350 I think when I checked about 5 years ago.

To be honest with what's happening in Florida I'm not surprised. And really there should be a licence for the large constrictors over here. There's literally nothing stopping a 16 year old buying a mainland retic online. A year later you've got an 8ft+ snake.

I had 2 50% dwarf retics. Bia my purple retic bit me twice. She was only 13ft and it bloody really hurt. If I wasn't strong and calm she'd have broke my arm/wrist I think. Unbelievably strong for such a same snake.
Oh wow, definitely had to be a nasty bite. I've seen what retics can do. I completely agree with some sort of licensing. Otherwise, like you said, anybody can get into deep water far before they are ready. I suppose in a way the higher costs on licensing helps to weed out some of those unprepared. Though ive met quite a few people with more money than common sense.
The full ban here is definitely related to Florida's issues. Which, if we were in a similar climate would make much more sense. The winters here would make it extremely difficult for a sizable population of large snakes to sustain for long.
At least we both have some great animals already though :)

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
I'm getting two of these from a fellow breeder in the next week or two :D I'm absolutely excited and can't wait to see these little guys. He did warn me they were around 1/4" :D

basin79

ArachnoGod
Not a clue to be honest. I just lobbed a load of each in. The clay was watered and set in a different tub. I then used that. It's still easily move able as it's not set. But it compacted so it's great for tunnels.

Xaratos

Arachnopeon
Great species! The stridulating is pretty loud on some of them. Congrats on the new arrival!
I have one of these guys and I heard this the other day when I was trying to find him and it made me jump, Had no clue they did that. I have heard this species needs to be dry and I have also read they need to be humid -- can you help me? Mine is currently in 5 inches of coco/ecoearth that i keep fairly humid and he seems fine but I would be 100% fine with changing his setup entirely if I'm doing it wrong.