Opinions on Pamphobetus Platyomma

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I always cringe when someone wants to get an animal based on colour.
For pets that you treat like tropical fish, where literally 100% of the pleasure comes from watching them, unlike a dog/cat/hamster that you can pet and interact with, it's kind of silly to say that color isn't a factor. It totally is.

Now, I'm making that statement assuming that the keeper has done his/her research and is providing proper care and not getting in over his/her head by choosing species that are too challenging for his/her experience level. If color is the only thing that people are considering when tarantula shopping, that's when it becomes a problem.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For pets that you treat like tropical fish, where literally 100% of the pleasure comes from watching them, unlike a dog/cat/hamster that you can pet and interact with, it's kind of silly to say that color isn't a factor. It totally is.

Now, I'm making that statement assuming that the keeper has done his/her research and is providing proper care and not getting in over his/her head by choosing species that are too challenging for his/her experience level. If color is the only thing that people are considering when tarantula shopping, that's when it becomes a problem.
My point was when colour is THE reason someone chooses an animal. I have kept marine and freshwater fish... choosing on colour alone is still an issue. You can get fish who will eat each other, eat your coral/plants/etc. Liking an animal initially based on colour, doing your research, then deciding the animal suits your needs is different than, "OOH IT'S BLUE. I'LL GET IT."

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Gbb is a good choice for color too honestly. Or most brachys some phamphos & the pinkbloom females are colorful.

Lumina

Arachnosquire
My point was when colour is THE reason someone chooses an animal. I have kept marine and freshwater fish... choosing on colour alone is still an issue. You can get fish who will eat each other, eat your coral/plants/etc. Liking an animal initially based on colour, doing your research, then deciding the animal suits your needs is different than, "OOH IT'S BLUE. I'LL GET IT."
Fully agreed. I am definitely in love with the colors, but the reason I'm inquiring about this species is to get a better understanding of different owners' experiences with having them as pets. I do prefer more laid-back Ts so if they are more on the defensive side, I may not wind up getting one. Pretty Ts are great-but there are other factors I am concerned with before purchasing a certain species.

I don't particularly find the "Honduran Curly Hair" Brachypelma albilosum to be the most attractive species (even though I still think they're stinking adorable). But I love my little Brachy and I think they're a terrific species to own.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Fully agreed. I am definitely in love with the colors, but the reason I'm inquiring about this species is to get a better understanding of different owners' experiences with having them as pets. I do prefer more laid-back Ts so if they are more on the defensive side, I may not wind up getting one. Pretty Ts are great-but there are other factors I am concerned with before purchasing a certain species.

I don't particularly find the "Honduran Curly Hair" Brachypelma albilosum to be the most attractive species (even though I still think they're stinking adorable). But I love my little Brachy and I think they're a terrific species to own.
It's great that you're asking more about the species before acquiring it, for sure. Pamphos aren't what I would call a "calm" species.

I personally love earthy tones... these super brightly coloured spiders that get everyone's attention aren't my style at all lol

Lumina

Arachnosquire
It's great that you're asking more about the species before acquiring it, for sure. Pamphos aren't what I would call a "calm" species.

I personally love earthy tones... these super brightly coloured spiders that get everyone's attention aren't my style at all lol
For sure. I would imagine a great number of people bite off way more than they can chew and just jump right into buying a species (of any T) without first researching. It's irresponsible and can be detrimental to the animal if not properly cared for.
And this of course goes for any type of pet. Not just inverts.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Lasiodora & p conceridies are kind of bland but large siZe and being active makes them good display Ts.

Pet holes can be good but won’t see them much, not exactly a display spider til it comes outside burrow.

NOYJ

Arachnopeon
Im drooling over pamphobeteus for months now...but had second thoughts when someone told me they have sudden death attitudes even as adults?? Has anyone experienced this? whats the survival rate from slings to adults? And im also choosing between pamphos ang xenesthis..lots of questions in mind.lol

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Im drooling over pamphobeteus for months now...but had second thoughts when someone told me they have sudden death attitudes even as adults?? Has anyone experienced this? whats the survival rate from slings to adults? And im also choosing between pamphos ang xenesthis..lots of questions in mind.lol
I find them pretty hardy, even as slings.

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
I have both Male and female juvenile p.platyomma and they're very skittish and defensive. If you're jumpy, probably not a good species,imo. They also seem to kick hairs if I dare even make eye contact too long. With that, they're really beyond cool T's. Great eaters in my experience.

cold blood

Staff member
but had second thoughts when someone told me they have sudden death attitudes even as adults??
Yeah, as in you put prey in and the prey suddenly dies...lol.

Theyre a hardy NW terrestrial....if someone kills them they should stick to rose hairs. For a moisture lover, they are surprisingly drought resistant, which makes them pretty easy to keep.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
They are actually quite hardy as mentioned, never heard of this issue myself. So I wouldnt worry too much if your confident that you can care for it properly.
Gaahhhh, she's gorgeous! :embarrassed: And I imagine the photos don't do her Justice :angelic:
Shes around 6" now already. Xenesthis sp. Blue(Colombia) 20190223_113907.jpg