Opinions on Pamphobetus Platyomma

Lumina

Arachnosquire
Debating getting either a juvenile or adult male "Brazilian Pinkbloom" Pamphobetus Platyomma. (From what I understand, the males are typically more colorful).
Wondering if I could get some opinions on this species from owners. Pros and cons, opinions on temperament, handling, coloration, etc.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Debating getting either a juvenile or adult male Pamphobetus Platyomma. (From what I understand, the males are typically more colorful).
Wondering if I could get some opinions on this species from owners. Pros and cons, opinions on handling, etc.
I wouldn’t handle a phampho, I don’t be handle my spiders at all.
I tried to buy some once but ended up with a different species .
Seller was shady maybe find someone reputable.
These are one of coolest species, colors are amazing. You want a female tho for lifespan no point in a male unless your going to breed him::pigeon:

Lumina

Arachnosquire
I wouldn’t handle a phampho, I don’t be handle my spiders at all.
I tried to buy some once but ended up with a different species .
Seller was shady maybe find someone reputable.
These are one of coolest species, colors are amazing. You want a female tho for lifespan no point in a male unless your going to breed him::pigeon:
Unfortunate that the females don't have much color to them though :bucktooth:

boina

Lady of the mites
No, the females don't have much color, but the males will only wear themselves out trying to get out and find a female. I always find that a bit sad. I would buy a Pampho any day, but not a male despite the colors.

Get a Xenesthis. They are basically a more colorful (female) Pampho. Unfortunately they are rather expensive. Bold, always out, great feeding response.

Lumina

Arachnosquire
No, the females don't have much color, but the males will only wear themselves out trying to get out and find a female. I always find that a bit sad

Aww. Poor guys :( maybe if I ever get into breeding in the future, I'll get a pair :p

....the Xenesthis are super pretty. How are their temperaments for the most part?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
They are fast and skittish, great eaters though, my female will actively hunt down prey as soon as she notices...shes very efficient as well. Growth rates are superb, couldn't recommend them enough, they are a step up from other beginner terrestrials though.

Keep them moist, and make sure you have good cross vent. You can keep them like you would a Theraphosa or Pampho.

Lumina

Arachnosquire
They are fast and skittish, great eaters though, my female will actively hunt down prey as soon as she notices...shes very efficient as well. Growth rates are superb, couldn't recommend them enough, they are a step up from other beginner terrestrials though.

Keep them moist, and make sure you have good cross vent. You can keep them like you would a Theraphosa or Pampho.

Gaahhhh, she's gorgeous! :embarrassed: And I imagine the photos don't do her Justice :angelic:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
P. platyomma are jaw dropping, I have 2 slings. With Many pamphs, getting a sling is very necessary in my opinion. I can't wait to watch the color change when mine molt. I wouldn't spend money on a male unless you already have a female for breeding.

Lumina

Arachnosquire
P. platyomma are jaw dropping, I have 2 slings. With Many pamphs, getting a sling is very necessary in my opinion. I can't wait to watch the color change when mine molt. I wouldn't spend money on a male unless you already have a female for breeding.
May I ask why you think it's necessary to get them as slings?

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
This is why you get them as slings.:happy:
The slings are awesome looking and if you dont really care if you get a male or female then you cant go wrong either way.
The species I have is a Pamphobeteus machala. I find these to be very available and cheap. The males and even the females to a lesser degree, have stunning purple legs and carapace. Here is a female P. Machala from Dave Scott on YT. The female actually has alot of purple to her when in the right light.

boina

Lady of the mites
Xenesthis are very active spiders - and experts at escaping. I've had 4 escapes over the years and two of them were (different) Xeneathis. They immediately take advantage of any enclosure not properly locked - they'll find any weakness of the enclosure within a day, at least that's my experience.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Xenesthis are very active spiders - and experts at escaping. I've had 4 escapes over the years and two of them were (different) Xeneathis. They immediately take advantage of any enclosure not properly locked - they'll find any weakness of the enclosure within a day, at least that's my experience.
Last time I saw em I was too broke slings were like $120 ea. Right now I can’t event fix my car .
Wish I had some , they are amazing!!!!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Debating getting either a juvenile or adult male "Brazilian Pinkbloom" Pamphobetus Platyomma. (From what I understand, the males are typically more colorful).
Wondering if I could get some opinions on this species from owners. Pros and cons, opinions on temperament, handling, coloration, etc.
Yes, this genus is sexually dimorphic. The males are very colorful. I look at this as a win-win situation when it comes to the sling lottery. Either you get a very colorful specimen for a few years, or you get a huge female that will live a lot longer, even though it's not as pretty.

Temperament seems rather timid on my specimen (5" male who always curls into a ball when I open the lid) although the feeding response is always great, once he realizes that food is nearby. Never seen a threat posture.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I always cringe when someone wants to get an animal based on colour.

As others said, once males mature their only goal in life is to locate a female. Their lifespans are drastically shorter than females... they just waste away after a bit. It's quite sad.

Pamphos are awesome to get as slings because of the changes in colouring and markings as they grow! It's like a different spider with each molt.