Opinions on naming Tarantulas.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Too many to name! Haha. I usually just shorten their scientific names around the house. "Albo" "nhandu" "versi" etc.

Jake J

Arachnochode
I want to name mine after members of the Wu-Tang clan, but my wife won't have it. For confirmed females, I was thinking maybe a cheesy 90's girl group, like TLC: T-Boz ("T" for "Tarantula," of course), Left-Eye Cluster, and Chile for one from Chile. Another idea I had was for my B. vagans (red rump): Carrot Bottom. Get it? Instead of Carrot Top?

My wife doesn't like any of these ideas. My life is terrible.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I want to name mine after members of the Wu-Tang clan, but my wife won't have it. For confirmed females, I was thinking maybe a cheesy 90's girl group, like TLC: T-Boz ("T" for "Tarantula," of course), Left-Eye Cluster, and Chile for one from Chile. Another idea I had was for my B. vagans (red rump): Carrot Bottom. Get it? Instead of Carrot Top?

Save the Wu-Tang names for when you start keeping killer bees. :headphone:

SoulSpiegel12

Arachnosquire

I'd love to meet a tarantula named Ol Dirty Ba-.....well you get my point :D

SoulSpiegel12

Arachnosquire
I name mine though I only have 6 at the moment. Can't imagine naming them if I had 30+ like a lot of people on here.
I only have two. I originally had three but my first T only named J as it was unsexed, had unfortunately passed away. So names are bit easier to keep track of for now.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I have four now that are named after South Park characters, but I always refer to them by their latin name, ex "My G. pulchripes loves PC principal"

Jake J

Arachnochode
I have four now that are named after South Park characters, but I always refer to them by their latin name, ex "My G. pulchripes loves PC principal"
Love me some South Park. Hence the quote at the bottom of my posts.

matypants

Arachnopeon
I'm down to one Acanthoscurria geniculata, (Isadora) at the moment. I'm thinking of taking up a breeding project when she is old enough so I can support the purchase of more. I'm learning all I can in the meantime.

Also:
There's a great place online that's packed with info on tarantula species, genera, and subfamilies (and what's valid and what's suspect). Highly recommended: Eight, a Site about Tarantulas. Check it out. It'll help you get up to speed. I printed off a copy and keep it handy for reference.
Totally bookmarked.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well since it's been brought up several times: Actually someone called in all the people they could think of, who then showed up to pile on and trash this forum. After venting, almost all of them disappeared without making any effort to improve anything, in spite of being asked to help numerous times (they all had excuses, that while they somehow found the time to complain for a week, they couldn't stick around to actually do anything constructive here - on the level of 'I have to rearrange my sock drawer' kind of responses - so lame it was funny).
This makes no sense to me but then I can not fathom a sock drawer that is not perfectly arranged so I see no need to rearrange one.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Marshal Mathers? He will be the most obnoxious T in your collection!
My first thought was Dillon but I wonder how many people would get the reference. I had to look up Marshal Mathers though so it works both ways.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Besides spiders, I collect plants (palms, tropical trees, etc). All my wife hears from me is latin names. Spouses can adapt if they want to. Common names are so convoluted: some animals/plants have several common names, some have none, some common names could apply to a multitude of species, etc. I don't see how that helps anyone. With latin, there's the recognition of genera names you hear repeated; you start to understand that things are related, whereas with common names there's no organization or logic at all. Almost identical common names can be used for species that have no relationship to each other.

I get your point and to a certain point I agree but for the casual hobbyist who has one or two spiders is it all that important if all he knows is he has a Mexican red knee and a rose hair and he calls them Spot and Rosie. I know the Latin names of all mine but to those not into them I use common names because they are in English and they understand them. I give some of them names for my classes and shows because, as someone else said, it can help kids relate when you give them names they can relate to. Very few would recognize the name Kumonga (my first choice) but far more would get the Aragog reference so Aragog it is. Its either that or Charlotte. When I had my shop everything had the Latin name listed along with the common names (except for the fish) because I thought it was the right thing to do and I thought it looked more professional. In 18 years I think I had 1 person comment on it that she said it was a neat idea.

The plant thing sounds very interesting. Any good websites to give us an idea of the kinds of things you keep. If I could keep plants alive I think I would name them all "Arthur"

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The plant thing sounds very interesting. Any good websites to give us an idea of the kinds of things you keep.
Google these names:
Palms: Roystonea, Archontophoenix, Ptychosperma, Veitchia, Chamaedorea, Pseudophoenix, Wodyetia
Livistona, Saribus, Bismarckia, Hyphaene, Copernicia, Borassus, Cocothrinax, Thrinax, Leucothrinax, Schippia
Arenga, Caryota
Trees: Eucalyptus, Corymbia, Jacaranda, Brachychiton, Schottia, Acacia
Shrubs: Croton, Hibiscus
Aroids: Caladium, Alocasia, Colocasia, Philodendron, Xanthosoma
Gingers: Heliconia, Hedychium, Alpinia, Costus

My yard's packed with these.

Last edited:

LD67

Arachnopeon
I WANT to name my new sling, but I have no clue if it's a boy or girl.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Pick a non-gender name. I've always wanted a LP named Tiny. :)
Ah ah I was always fascinated by the fact of give such names to "giant" things. Like "Tiny" of "The Warriors" (PS2) that "Satan's Mothers" bald beast boss you need to fight lol