1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on my avicularia set up

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Sma, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:02 PM.

1. Sma

Sma Arachnopeon

Indiana
    Advertisement
    First time post here but tarantula owner for a few years now. I’m terrible at using forums so I’m not sure if this is the right place but I’ll learn. I’ve had this avicularia avicularia for about two years now and it’s been doing great up until I moved it to a new enclosure. I had it in a critter keeper that was around 10x8x8. Had some sticks in there for her to climb and she made webbing between them and stuff. TwinkleToes (that’s her name) seemed ok in it, but everytime I had to get in it destroyed all her webs. I also felt like she’d be happier with a little more height. She’s about three inches across now when her legs are stretched out. I recently switched her to a 12x12x18 tank with a front opening door, and have some great plants and a log in there, but she doesn’t seem to be digging it. It’s been a few weeks and she’s just always on the glass walls, I have never seen her on the log or in the plants. I also can’t get her to eat (it’s really tricky cuz her favorite spot is right on the door and I can’t really feed her while she’s on the glass cuz I’m worried she’d fall when she strikes) her temperatures are around 72-74 and I mist once a week, just kinda keep things a little moist towards the bottom but nothing wet. I’m wondering if I should just put her back in her old set up if she liked it so much. I’m including pics of her old set up and her new one. If anyone has suggestions on what I’m doing right or wrong I’d super appreciate any advice.

Attached Files:

2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

• Like Like x 4
  3. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

That's normal for a t during acclimation...not a concern. You have a nice set up now, she will adapt in time.
    Feeding on the glass is a non-issue...heck, they breed vertically on the glass sometimes. They can actually maintain grip with just a single foot. You are very much underestimating your little friends capabilities.

Don't anthropomorphize your tarantula...it has no emotional attachments or feelings...looking at the old enclosure I fail to see how that horrible thing was even survivable for her. The new set up is light years ahead of the old, don't question yourself, you did a great job.

She looks plump enough that there isn't a concern about her not eating...their appetites can be very on again off again and pre-molt once they get bigger, lasts considerably longer.

Err on the side of dry (too much moisture is a big avic killer)...if you choose to mist, just a light spritz on the glass or preferably, on webbing...don't over-do it and keep the substrate predominantly dry.

When she settles in and gets into pre-molt, she should make a nice web tube...often A. avic's don't web much until they are getting ready to molt (smaller ones web much quicker).

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. cold blood

Now onto the important info....how does one have such a large gator...in Indiana? Can we assume you work at a zoo or a rescue of sorts?

5. Sma

Sma Arachnopeon

Indiana
    I wish, haha. That was at a big reptile expo in Indianapolis, after talking to its owner for a bit he was nice enough to let me hold it for a photo. I did a little digging on Indiana laws and as far as I’ve found you can have them but you need a special permit that probably comes with all sorts of inspections. There’s all sorts of crazy animals I'd never expect to be kept by regular people there. The guy I got my first gecko from now breeds anacondas.

6. cold blood

Indiana is one of the least restrictive states on the country.

Remember a few years (maybe a decade or more by now), there was a guy keeping all kinds of exotics and had an escape that needed to be shot....big cat I think...but the guy had lions, tigers, bears (oh my!), mountain lions, etc...all held in minimalistic type enclosures...but all the enclosures and animals adhered to local laws...lol....aside from one or two, and the escape I believe....lol.

Cool pic

7. Sma

Sma Arachnopeon

Indiana
    Oh I believe it. It’s kind of hard to find any state that has decent laws or restrictions for exotic animal care asides from what species are and aren’t allowed.