Opinions on Critter Keepers?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
They work well, just make sure there is enough substrate so your T or whatever being housed doesn't climb and fall. To regulate how damp the substrate stays, I use a piece of plastic wrap with circular holes cut out so the substrate retains some moisture. This piece of plastic is taped to the lid.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Personally I think there are more cons than pros.
The pros: they're cheap, always in stock at pet stores, uniform looking and probably stackable.
Cons: the two I have don't sit level, rock a little bit on hard surfaces. I keep mine on a rubber stamp pad for that reason and to reduce vibrations. They also scratch way too easily, which isn't that big of a deal until you're trying to take good clear pictures. The door in the top is in an inconvenient place depending on what you have in there, and as @Smotzer said, they're crazy difficult to open without freaking out the inhabitants. We have actually clipped off the little tabs that hold the door closed to minimize that disturbance, which might seem like a bad idea to some, but we keep other enclosures on top of them so it works out.
To sum up, I will try to avoid buying these in the future, but they do work. I just think there are better looking and more functional options out there.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
The pros: they're cheap, always in stock at pet stores, uniform looking and probably stackable.
Cons: the two I have don't sit level, rock a little bit on hard surfaces. I keep mine on a rubber stamp pad for that reason and to reduce vibrations. They also scratch way too easily, which isn't that big of a deal until you're trying to take good clear pictures. The door in the top is in an inconvenient place depending on what you have in there, and as @Smotzer said, they're crazy difficult to open without freaking out the inhabitants. We have actually clipped off the little tabs that hold the door closed to minimize that disturbance, which might seem like a bad idea to some, but we keep other enclosures on top of them so it works out.
To sum up, I will try to avoid buying these in the future, but they do work. I just think there are better looking and more functional options out there.
Very well said. Right on the $.

Especially with the top opening.....I can pretty easily take off the WHOLE cover but that kind of defeats the purpose....opening and closing the clear lid part is the equivelant of opening and closing a jail cell! Freaks out even the calmest of inhabitants!

What are some good CLEAR substitutes that come in KK sizes?

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
What are some good CLEAR substitutes that come in KK sizes
Idk man, you've been at this longer than me! :rofl:
Lol, but seriously, I haven't yet had the pleasure of finding something that I can say works better for me, but there's plenty of alternatives that can be found here, in almost any grocery or craft store, the container store, amazon, ect. Amac seems pretty popular, especially when it comes to arboreals.
All I know right now is my LP is going in a 20 gallon long tank for his final enclosure, after one or two more molts. He's going to be a big guy and I want to make sure I have room to work on whatever side he's not hanging out at the time.
Convenient is one thing, visually appealing is another, and when you have different creatures with different needs that's when it really gets fun, am I right? Trying to prioritize what they need vs what I need is part of the joy of keeping these critters.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Very well said. Right on the $.

Especially with the top opening.....I can pretty easily take off the WHOLE cover but that kind of defeats the purpose....opening and closing the clear lid part is the equivelant of opening and closing a jail cell! Freaks out even the calmest of inhabitants!

What are some good CLEAR substitutes that come in KK sizes?
Hobby lobby sells acrylic basketball/soccer ball display cases that I use for my arboreals. They look better and have a much better top than kritter keeper.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I’m on the same side as you, for me there or more cons. That being said some people only use them and love them, just not me.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I prefer to cover the top vents with plastic sheets glued on. So that things don’t dry out in there every 24 hours.
@Tomoran has used shelf liners in the past, and these work amazingly well, don't have to glue anything, it can just peel right off. I believe he called it contact paper, but where I live they'd be called shelf liners.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Asking cause I have a few empty ones in storage at the moment, that I used to use to house dubias or crickets for my reptiles. Would you consider them improper enclosures for Ts? Does it depend on the species? Are the fine depending on how they're manipulated/decorated? Let me know what you think. I personally prefer most other enclosures such as AMACs etc.
I use them just for crickets... they're not bad for the price

Kulticose

Arachnopeon
I used to not like them because I thought they looked cheap, but after using some, I realized that they're not bad at all for dry species.