Opinions from Pokie folks (and others)

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have endeavored toward collecting diverse genera for my limited collection, limited due to space not choice. Presently, I do not have a pokie and feel this must be rectified, it’s just the right thing to do...(heh). I shall hone the discussion by submitting that I have already decided on either P. Rufilata or Ornata. I am partial to large, and generally it seems Rufilata has the edge in this characteristic. So, my questions concern primarily reclusiveness, then any other input on general opinions regarding pros and cons of both.

Thanks in advance, as I know you will steer me right.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
My rufilata is by far the poec that I see the most in my collection. She is out almost all the time despite having a cork tube to use. She is also the most “stand your ground” poec that I have. The others are skittish and will hide if disturbed in the least. My rufilata could care less if the lights are on or if I’m do stuff in the room. You won’t regret getting one.

PS I don’t have an ornata do can’t comment on them.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I don't have any in the genus yet so I won't be able to add important info, but in my opinion P. ornata are better looking.

Urthstrype

Arachnopeon
I have both and love them, if getting one of each isn't an option, I would give a slight nod to Rufilata. I just find coloring on the Rufilata particularly beautiful. Each of mine make great display spiders so I don't think there is much of a difference in one being more shy than the other. This really just depends on the individual. But really, you can't go wrong.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I would go for a (100% 0.1) P.ornata. IMO the best attitude among Poecilotheria genus. 'Reculsive' they are (in general) reclusive, and pretty 'shy'.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Get either or both. They are both gourgous,attain generally the same size, and as with all Tarantulas there habits and behavior can change with a molt..

For instance-

Upon first recieving my rufulata she was allways visible, she then became reclusive after a rehouse and now almost a year later is visible nightly once again. My girl is rather high strung in general, but not defensive, that hasn't changed.

My ornata has always been bold and calm.. I usually pick bolus's from her enclosure and change her water dish with my hands.. She has never shown any sign of nervousnes untill recently.. About four months ago she went into premolt and hid exclusively and now two months post molt is still acting reclusive. I also have noticed that she is a bit more nervous lately, running into her hide when I start working in her enclosure.. Still not defensive however.

You will find that within the Genus of Poecilotheria, captive behavior varies only slightly. Some tend to be known to be a bit more defensive or high strung,skittish or predictable etc.. However, there are so many caveats from species to species that it's best to consider the general habits of the Genus not the species when choosing which poec you want to work with.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
@Venom1080 Your Af rufilata pics are just as good. Where you been man? Your missed around here. ;)

@FrDoc You can't go wrong with either species tbh, all poecs are awesome in their own way...really comes down to your personal preference. The rufilata tend to be more leggy, so if you want a more bulky poec I would go the ornata route.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Rufilata. I had a male once, out fair amount. Great eater, and lightning FAST, and of course their venom.

TheDeadlyPokie

Arachnopeon
P. Ornata most certainly, my girl has the most blunt attitude out of all my Ts, beware however of their venom and size, Venom is one of the strongest from the Poeci species, Females can also get very large(8. Inches), so bare this in mind.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
066.JPG 913A730D-BAB9-4F0A-B189-D4E146488293.jpeg E9D9782E-1271-4F3E-B5B1-7002645A492A.jpeg
I see my ornata girls way more than I ever saw my rufilata, but I really dig the rufi angry eyes. Both poop too much.

Edit: found an old pic of my rufi

Last edited:

ZHESSWA

Arachnopeon
Mine are both relatively young right around the 2 to 3 inch mark, but my Ornata is the best display tarantula out of the 9 I own! She's always out, has a voracious appetite, and is quite bold overall! Of course I have a soft spot for my Rufilata as well, she was my first T that lost a couple legs during a molt due to her molting during shipment. In my opinion, the Rufilata has the greenest color of all Ts. I say get both like I did ;)

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
I think rufilatas are stunning. I was very torn between them and metallica. I ended up with a metallica. It's reclusive, skittish, lightning fast, beautiful, but.... To be honest, I hope it's a male. I don't think I'll ever get another Poecilotheria sp. again. They aren't my favorite. I'm more of a terrestrial girl I guess. I mean, I love it and care about it, but it will be my first and last. And hopefully not because it kills me. Haha a joke really.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Update: I appreciate all the input, but it seemed inconclusive. So, I left it to availability, including price, etc..

Drum roll, please....

ORNATA!