Opinion piece: Keeping Australian Natives as pets is a good idea

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It's hard to be bothered replying when I am constantly reading on this board how people value an animals life above humans. I routinely hear on this forum about how humans are just destructive and animals are so great. It gives people who are interested in animals a bad name and damages the hobby. Why you can't be more reasonable in your arguments is beyond me. Bye.
Vaya con huevos!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Homo sapiens are animals, which are out of control and are clearly harming the planet. (Global warming is enough by itself) Why would I value Homo sapiens' life more than Acanthophis wellsi's for ex. especially when Homo sapiens is clearly destroying the planet for everything else including themselves?

Us being sentient should not be an excuse for the havoc we are wreaking. We are even less valuable because we know what we are doing!

The Snark

Old Timer
The only animal on the planet that its existence is absolutely essential, the sine quo non of evolution if you will, is the amoeba. And by the way, the very first amoeba on the planet had it's first birthday today!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's hard to be bothered replying when I am constantly reading on this board how people value an animals life above humans. I routinely hear on this forum about how humans are just destructive and animals are so great. It gives people who are interested in animals a bad name and damages the hobby. Why you can't be more reasonable in your arguments is beyond me. Bye.
All forms of life have equal dignity. But actually those who are destroying the planet using every trick and device are humans, not plants or animals.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
The only animal on the planet that its existence is absolutely essential, the sine quo non of evolution if you will, is the amoeba. And by the way, the very first amoeba on the planet had it's first birthday today!
Oh, that's why we had cake today...

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's my disclaimer, I have not read 90% of the posts on this thread. It seems riddled with arguments geared towards one another with regards to species I have no particular stake in.

My view on Australia allowing exportation of species:

I think it would be absolutely awesome if they had a controlled exportation of species that are not yet vulnerable or critically endangered. As someone mentioned, it'd be nice if those species were not plucked directly from the wild but were cultured in captivity and sold from that source alone. It would even be awesome if they allowed only a hand full of unrelated pairs of any species out of their country to be bred here in the US. I'm not really interested in owning a dingo or any reptile species from Australia (which I know is not really in tune with the majority of you) but I would love for some of their doves to be imported for captive breeding. Those of us who are aviculturists would love to get new blood lines into our current Australian species stock and also take in other new species. Many exotic doves do quite well in captivity and breed readily. It's a shame that some of them are endangered because their habitats are being destroyed or they are being hunted into extinction (not specific to Australia) but can EASILY have their numbers increased in captivity.

Eric

Zervoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That was the gist of what I was saying. Interesting about the doves. Just shows how much of an economic opportunity Australia is wasting.

When I read ridiculous things like this below, it makes me realize Australia will never act in a rational manner when it comes to wildlife.

Proposal to grant an export permit for a rainbow lorikeet (Trichoglossus haematodus) under exceptional circumstances
Invitation to comment
The Minister is considering granting a permit to export one (1) Rainbow Lorikeet (Trichoglossus haematodus) as a household pet to Canada.

The applicant has owned the Rainbow Lorikeet for two and a half years. This bird was born in captivity and purchased from a pet shop. The applicant is moving overseas permanently and wishes to care for the bird as a household pet at her residence. The applicant has advised there is no intention to sell the bird.

Should the permit be granted, conditions will be imposed which specify that:

The owner/exporter of the bird specified on the permit has been given permission to export the bird on the basis that the bird is kept overseas by the owner/exporter as a pet and will not be sold, traded or otherwise used for commercial purposes.
The permit may only be issued if exceptional circumstances exist, and the export would not be contrary to the objects of Part 13A of the EPBC Act.

You are invited to provide comments on the proposal to issue this permit, and any comments will be taken into account in making the decision.

Please provide your written comments by AEST 5pm Tuesday 4 August 2015 to:

The Director
Wildlife Trade Regulation
Department of the Environment
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
I mean the decision is a no brainer, allow them to take the bird overseas, why does anyone from the public have to comment on what is a private matter? The insanity of our government is unsettling.

source: https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/comment/rainbow-lorikeet

Zervoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
THE quest to save the endangered Tasmanian devil is getting a $3.3 million lifeline.

Federal Environment Minister Greg Hunt will today announce the funding for the Save the Tasmanian Devil project.

Mr Hunt yesterday described the devil as one of the nation's most famous species.

"The Tasmanian devil is an Australian icon and, unlike Labor, we're committed to protecting it for the long term," he said.

"This funding will be used to make a real difference. It will ensure that a disease-free population of devils can exist now and into the future.

"It's important to make sure the Tasmanian devil is around for future generations."

A rare infectious cancer has wiped out 90 per cent of the devil population in some parts of the state.

The program looking for a cure to the disease had been on the brink of extinction itself after $2 million was pulled by the previous Labor government in June last year.

The State Government contributes $2.6 million a year to the project.

Opposition Leader Will Hodgman yesterday welcomed the Commonwealth commitment.

"I am delighted with this significant funding commitment by the Federal Government towards saving the Tasmanian devil," Mr Hodgman said yesterday.

"This announcement shows the benefits of working co-operatively with the Federal Government."

Mr Hunt said the funding would help to fence off a significant area of high-priority devil habitat in Tasmania, to form a sanctuary for a disease-free population of wild devils.

He said the existing devil population would be temporarily removed and cared for until the new fence was made.

Disease-free devils will then be reintroduced to the area, with the new fence forming a barrier against the spread of disease into the sanctuary.

Mr Hunt said the funding would create a new insurance population of devils, and allow for better monitoring and management of this endangered species.

"The draft recovery plan for the Tasmanian devil rates the need to isolate disease-free populations of devils in their natural habitat as one of the top priorities for the species' recovery and management in the wild," Mr Hunt said.
http://www.themercury.com.au/news/t...-save-our-devils/story-fnj4f7k1-1226808066660

How much money did tax payers spend on these captive bred Tasmanian Devils, only to have them released back into the wild and to have them killed by cars- it just seems to me we need to wake up as a nation. And I daresay more will die.

Two immunised Tasmanian devils, bred in captivity in a bid to ensure the species' survival, have been killed on the state's roads just days after being released into the wild.

"Devils are often on the road scavenging the carcasses of road-killed animals and Tasmanian devils are the hardest of all native species to see between dusk and dawn."

He warned the risk of hitting Tasmanian devils would increase coming into November, when female devils begin to wean their young who are often found scavenging close to roads because they are not experienced in finding food.

Both the killed devils were young females.

Eleven males and nine females were released leaving just seven females in the trial.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-...led-on-road-days-after-being-released/6816966

The whole reason we don't keep our natives in captivity is because conversationalists subscribe to the notion that once in captivity the animal no longer becomes a viable representation of the wild species. Because it's behavior is different in captivity to what it is in the wild. Yet here we see captive raised Tasmanian Devils being released into the wild and being unable to tell if cars are dangerous, something all wild devils know already. So I find myself asking if it's ok to raise devils in captivity and then release them like this-and have them still be seen as viable examples of their species- then why can't the layperson keep them in captivity also.

---------- Post added 10-18-2015 at 01:43 AM ----------

90% of the devils have been wiped out- so these deaths of females are a serious issue. Imagine if laypeople around the world were allowed to own devils- it might die out in the wild but captive populations would ensure it's survival. To me this whole thing proves the viability of allowing natives to be kept as pets and in captivity.

---------- Post added 10-18-2015 at 02:30 AM ----------

Just found out the Platypus population in Tasmania is suffering from Platypus Mucormycosis disease. So perhaps someone could make a good case for allowing Platypus to also be kept in captivity.

While affected devils and platypus can suffer from similar external symptoms (both can develop ugly ulcers or lesions), the diseases are caused by completely different mechanisms, and occur on different parts of the body. Diseased devils suffer from facial tumours, while the lesions on diseased platypus are generally around the tail, back or back legs.

Devil Facial Tumour Disease is an infectious cancer, where malignant growths or tumours are caused by abnormal and uncontrolled cell division. DFTD is contagious and thought to be spread by infected devils biting other devils. There is currently no evidence that the disease has spread to other species of wildlife or domestic animals.

Mucormycosis, the disease affecting Tasmanian platypus populations, is caused by the fungus Mucor amphibiorum. Currently little is known about how the fungus is transferred between platypuses, how it is spread, or what impacts it is having. DFTD has had a devastating effect on devil populations throughout Tasmania in just over a decade since it was fi rst detected. However in the 25 years since Mucormycosis was first detected in Tasmania we still don't know what impact it is having on platypus populations, or how far it has spread. These questions are being addressed in a research program within Tasmania's Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment. Read more about Mucormycosis and the platypus conservation program.
http://www.tassiedevil.com.au/tasdevil.nsf/thedisease/bd2717c762779ee8ca2576f1001d0110

Platypuses generally suffer from few diseases in the wild3, however there is widespread public concern in Tasmania about the potential impacts of a disease caused by the fungus Mucor amphibiorum. This platypus fungal disease (termed Mucormycosis) only affects Tasmanian platypuses, and has not been observed in over 2000 platypuses captured in mainland Australia4. Affected platypuses can develop ugly skin lesions or ulcers on various parts of the body including their backs, tails and legs.

This fungal disease can kill platypuses5, with death arising from secondary infection and by affecting the animals' ability to maintain body temperature and forage efficiency.
http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/wildlife-m...and-platypus/platypus/platypus-fungal-disease

Zervoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Geneticists are working on identifying an ''explorer gene'' in captive Tasmanian devils as experts consider ways to reduce roadkill when the animals are released into the wild.

The Save the Tasmanian Devil program's release of 20 devils vaccinated against the fatal facial tumour disease was marred after four became roadkill within a week.

Save the Tasmanian Devil program manager David Pemberton said they were considering various options to improve the survival rate of future releases.

One option could to be to only release animals that are genetically disinclined to roam too far.

Mr Pemberton has sought the help of geneticists to try and find such a "explorer gene".

"They are actually going to take on the challenge of looking at the genes and trying to find out if they correlate with the animals that want to explore," he said.

"It's a long shot but we'll try anything."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-...hers-turn-to-genetics-to-aid-survival/6838686

Quadruple face palm. The Australian government/conservationists in charge of the save the devil program are considering genetically modifying the devils so they don't roam as much.

Sorry but this is a completely insane idea. This is a case of really smart people actually being really dumb.

The devil is a prime candidate for pet ownership! If someone was allowed to capture 15 females and 15 males from the south west portion of the island that is unaffected, we could start breeding these for captivity. I see this as complementing the conservationists efforts. The conservationists are releasing their captive bred animals back into the wild, a wild full of infected devils and other threats. Even if these devils released have immunity to the virus, what is to say their offspring will.

Looking at the Save the devil Facebook page and it has only a little over 11,000 likes. That is nothing. The devil is going to go extinct in my life time. What we are currently doing is not working. We need to allow ordinary people the opportunity to own this animal and save it that way.

---------- Post added 10-24-2015 at 09:31 AM ----------

Here is there Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SavetheTasmanianDevilProgram

They are talking about releasing the vaccinated devils into the wild and then when they have babies vaccinate them. This is a recipe for disaster. Tasmania is a tiny landmass, it wouldn't take much for these babies to get infected and for all healthy animals to be wiped out. This has gotten completely out of hand.

I don't want to see this animal die because conservationists and our government don't believe in allowing these animals to be kept as pets. How we as a society could be so stupid is beyond me. We prefer to subscribe to unrealistic notions when it comes to keeping animals, and would prefer to see an animal die out in the wild rather than survive in captivity.

The Snark

Old Timer
Zervoid, that, the Tasmanian Devils, well exemplifies the problem. Numerous phrases come to mind: Can't see the forest for the trees, sticking your finger in the dyke, getting lost in the little details, ... essentially, fiddling while Rome burns.

Genetically altering an animal exemplifies and epitomizes the problem. The lab tech staring into the microscope, failing to notice he is up to his arse in alligators.

I remember the battle raging over in situ or captive breeding would better protect the California Condor. Neither side willing to take into account the larger picture.

We, humans have got it backwards. Fixing the little details here and there, not noticing we have set the entire planet on fire. Our marvelous technology cannot possibly address even the microscopic speck of the problems the entire planet's ecology is facing today.

We, the humans, need to entirely rethink our attitude. Confront the fact that we are the problem, that we are capable of assisting in the solution but any effort in that direction must not interfere with our pursuit of luxuries and our comfortable life style. We have found the enemy and they are us.

The Tasmanian Devil and the overseer, mom nature, will probably work things out just fine if we change our thinking. Not just for that one animal but for the entire animal population of the world. We need to put ourselves in zoos, protected enclosures, and dedicate our efforts to stewardship.

The Devil has only one small problem. Encroachment by humans. The same with the condor. The Galapagos tortoise, and all their friends. We have to pull out all the stops and pursue every possible avenue protecting anything and everything, putting our own interests last. With our pre-frontals we can survive every possible disaster barring meteors and Toba events, except one. Our arrogance.

By all means, start captive breeding programs for the Devil. But not just the devil. Focus on the larger picture. For every animal in an endangered situation, we must take every possible action to reverse the damage we caused and are causing. We need to put the planet and our fellow travelers on this rock before our own.

Last edited:

Zervoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your so anti-human haha. Sometimes I am not sure it's always humans who are at fault. This seems to be a case where nature is at fault. Much of Tasmania is untouched national park that sees little human disturbance. The problem is the devil facial tumor virus. It is actually comprised of devil cells from their own body- and seems to have arisen in one mutation in one devil cell and has spread via biting. The virus has no DNA from any other animal showing no other vector animal such as human induced cats or dogs is the cause. The thing is the virus only arose because of poor genetic diversity in the devils to start with. You have to remember devils died out on the mainland only relatively recently in geological terms.

So in effect the natural course here is for the devils to die out. Extinction is a natural and normal part of life. But what you see here is human interference to stop a natural process. Whether that is right or wrong I don't know, but I would put it down to interference with nature at best.

So in effect this is a case where human presence is stopping extinction that otherwise would have occurred had nature been left to it's own devices.

The Snark

Old Timer
So the Devils die out. I'm not about to challenge Mom Nature in her wisdoms. Species, even genera go away all the time. Always have, always will. That's natural. And no, it's not always the humans at fault.

However, there are two indisputable undeniable facts: One animal on this planet has caused more die offs than all the other animals that have ever lived on the planet and that animal alone has the ability to help prevent some of the die offs and preserve some of the ecosystem. It's that tricky little persnickety detail called acting responsibly. Or as my fore-bearers creedo puts it, look ahead 7 generations and endeavor to give them what we now have.