1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion on Scorpion Smoking?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by centipeedle, Jan 4, 2018.

1. centipeedle

centipeedle Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    What's your opinion on the newest trend in the Middle East, "scorpion smoking"? From what I know, it's the practice of grinding up scorpions and then smoking them to get high of off their venom. I'm asking you, scorpion people.

2. MrTwister

MrTwister Arachnosquire

The little I read about seemed to be more desperation in Afghanistan then a trend. The scorpion tails are mixed with other substances, not smoked alone.

3. TheScorpionMan

TheScorpionMan Arachnoknight

Texas
    Yeah i wouldn't say it's a new trend either. Idk how long it's been happening but i think it's just now being talked about. Either way i read that you'll be in pain for like 3 hours until your body "adjusts" to the high then you're messed up until it wears off. I wouldn't try it lol

4. Prophet

Prophet Arachnosquire

Sounds terrible I haven't heard of this before. I guess some people will try anything to get a buzz but doesn't seem worth it to even try such a thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. MrTwister

MrTwister Arachnosquire

Poverty, war, and squalor will fuel some pretty extreme forms of escapism.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince Active Member

CT
    I'd smoke some scorp.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GenXtra

GenXtra Arachnopeon

Scorpion smoking side effects:

[​IMG]

Let me guess, the CIA is behind this trend. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince

If someone wants to get high, they're gonna get high. I literally just wrote a paper the other month about addiction and people don't let anything stop them. There is a practice called flash-blooding, where someone who is currently high has blood taken from their body and someone injects that blood into their own system to 'piggyback' on the original user's high. [ source ] There is a drug called Krokodil in Russia that literally causes necrosis at the injection site, and it is a much shorter high than heroin but dirt cheap and easily made. [ source ] Even knowing the risks of necrosis, and despite it not offering a very long high, people still use it.

This seems to be just another example of addiction-fueled-desperation. As for my personal opinion? Using scorpions this way is selfish, so I don't like it-- but I understand it. A lot of people think addiction is cut and dry, they just cannot wrap their minds around the fact that addicts continue to use after losing their families, jobs, homes, dignity, friends, etc. A rational person would lose one of those things and make a change-- but addicts are not rational. Heroin changes your brain chemistry. [ source ] As high as 80% of heroin users who go to rehab will relapse after rehab. [ source ] They literally cannot just say 'hey I've ruined my life, so now I will stop using heroin' despite what a lot of people believe.

TL;DR -- Addiction is complex and destroys everything it touches. Scorpions are just another victim.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. centipeedle

centipeedle Arachnosquire

upload_2018-1-5_20-3-48.png

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    Superstition imo. Scorpions are eaten in Asia as part of a meal, not to get high. Notice how there is no mention of species. It's junk until a sps is stated and more data imo.

11. Scorpionluva

Scorpionluva Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

PA
    I heard from a friend in Arizona about a guy he met near him that was addicted to smoking scorpion venom. He claimed it was more intense than most street drugs but had some serious drawbacks also. For this person it was much easier to find scorpion venom and trust it compared to the street drugs available these days. Shocking how far some will go to catch a buzz these days......sheeeeeesh :nailbiting:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    Junk. What species venom? None have disclosed it. A person doesn't have to smoke a scorpion tail/metasoma/telson, simply "milk" the venom from the scorpion onto rolling paper or tobacco for a pure/no-stank smoke. This is bull doodoo. "I heard this and I heard that!......." Nope! There is no direct evidence here and until then, ...fake news!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Prophet

Prophet Arachnosquire

Any kind of high like this is probably going to be intense I bet. Remember when people were going around licking dart frogs I think for the high. Probably still are doing it as seems like a cheap and easy high if they are around. This seems to be more region located b/c I was interested in this and asked my sister about it whose actually a drug counselor. She told me she's never personally heard of anyone doing it around here so I'm guessing where scorpions actually run rampant will be more of these cases.

14. Scorpionluva

PA
    I wasn't going to disclose which specie or species this individual claimed on using do to the fact That none of that info is of any help to the actual scorpion hobby but i can say they were all buthids he used and only 1 was a native specie

My friend who met the addicted person was in a horrible car accident last year or I would just have him post the info he acquired from this individual
    The addicted person was also a long time scorpion keeper/breeder but not sure if he was a member here.
    As far as verifiable info on this subject - I highly doubt any actual info will be presented in this thread due to the fact that if it truly is happening - it would be a suggestive hint to go out and smoke up some venom to the wrong people.

15. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

There are some real idiots out there.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

17. edesign

edesign Stacks o' spiders Old Timer

I still call BS on this. It's always "someone I know who knew someone". If this were a legit thing that people do it would be verifiable from first-hand accounts.

I don't think it matters. There's already plenty of well-known legal "highs" (I hesitate to call them that) that are dangerous if not lethal and people do them. And besides, it would create verifiable info as there might be medical reports filed. Word would get out if it was good or bad. If it were legit I'm sure our ancestors would have figured it out long ago given all the other natural highs they managed to discover. Or they did but the effects weren't pleasant so it faded out of popularity.

And name the species if you have concrete data. The lack of anyone with any specific information just further serves to suggest it's bunk.

18. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    There are no known psychoactive components in any scorpion or spider venoms. It's just snake oil for desperate junkie tourists.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Myrmeleon

Myrmeleon Arachnoknight

Well I guess the only way to know for sure whether you can get high or not would be to actually do it.

20. Scorpionluva

PA
    I can honestly say after being stung by a hottentotta jayakari And the effects it had on me that it is quite possible that other venoms could have speedy side effects to them also. It felt like drinking a whole box of 5 hour energy , drinking a whole pot of coffee and having low blood sugar tremors all at the same time