Onomeris sp. and Octoglena cf. gracilipes

davehuth

Arachnoknight
Found these at Birmingham, AL
@Lucanus95 I'm curious if you tried keeping these Octoglena sp.? If so, I would love to hear about what you tried, especially feeding. I've been experimenting with Petaserpes (our Northeastern Polyzoniid genus) and there is very little information on these pretty little millipedes.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Very cool! How big are the pill millipedes? I am very interested in culturing them myself.

Thanks

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@Lucanus95 I'm curious if you tried keeping these Octoglena sp.? If so, I would love to hear about what you tried, especially feeding. I've been experimenting with Petaserpes (our Northeastern Polyzoniid genus) and there is very little information on these pretty little millipedes.
I tried keeping them and they died within month. They nibbled on decomposed leaves of Smilex sp. and some rotting wood I provided, but I guess those weren't good food for them.

Very cool! How big are the pill millipedes? I am very interested in culturing them myself.

Thanks
They are tiny. About 0.11" in diameter when they roll up.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
I tried keeping them and they died within month. They nibbled on decomposed leaves of Smilex sp. and some rotting wood I provided, but I guess those weren't good food for them.
Oh, sorry to hear that! I've kept my Petaserpes going for longer than that, but not yet by much :anxious: I have several groups housed under slightly different conditions, so that if one starts to crash i can compare and adjust with the others. They're common in my area so I have opportunity to observe them in situ. I hope I figure it out... but of course Octoglena, despite their similar appearance, aren't even the same family .... it's tricky...

Arthroverts

Arachnoking

They are tiny. About 0.11" in diameter when they roll up.
Did you keep the Onomeris sp.? If so, how long did they live?

Thanks

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, sorry to hear that! I've kept my Petaserpes going for longer than that, but not yet by much :anxious: I have several groups housed under slightly different conditions, so that if one starts to crash i can compare and adjust with the others. They're common in my area so I have opportunity to observe them in situ. I hope I figure it out... but of course Octoglena, despite their similar appearance, aren't even the same family .... it's tricky...
Fingers crossed that your Petaserpes breed for you! I've pretty much given up on keeping Octoglena.

Did you keep the Onomeris sp.? If so, how long did they live?

Thanks
Couple of them died after about 3 months in captivity, but I still have adults that are persisting to this date. I also found some babies in their enclosure so they've been breeding for me.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
Fingers crossed that your Petaserpes breed for you! I've pretty much given up on keeping Octoglena.
I had one lay eggs that hatched, but it was only a couple weeks after collection so I was thinking maybe the female was gravid when I found her. There's been a good deal of mating (or at least what I take to be mating– nothing about these critters exactly mimics what I'm familiar with in millipedes). I started a thread about them elsewhere, I'll update once I start figuring things out.

The very largest of the Petaserpes here reach about 3/4 inch. How long do your local Octoglena get?

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had one lay eggs that hatched, but it was only a couple weeks after collection so I was thinking maybe the female was gravid when I found her. There's been a good deal of mating (or at least what I take to be mating– nothing about these critters exactly mimics what I'm familiar with in millipedes). I started a thread about them elsewhere, I'll update once I start figuring things out.

The very largest of the Petaserpes here reach about 3/4 inch. How long do your local Octoglena get?
That's some progress! Sounds like they are doing well for you :)

Octoglena in my area seem to stay small. Biggest I found were only 0.3" in length

davehuth

Arachnoknight
I still have adults that are persisting to this date. I also found some babies in their enclosure so they've been breeding for me.
Hi @Lucanus95 - I was wondering if your Onomeris are still plugging along after all this time? I've recently acquired a small handful of wild collected individuals from the Florida panhandle, and hope i can keep them happy and healthy.