Online dealers that sell jamaican field crickets

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Why this species?

Gryllus grows slowly, so people tend to prefer selling the quicker growing species.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For its large size, ability to deal with temp changes better, and the fact we can't buy locusts.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
These guys are extremely aggressive, I hope you know that. Apparently their bites can draw blood, and according to one account I found they actively seeked out someone's reptiles to bite them. I wouldn't trust these around my spiders any day. why not try roaches?

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Ive been culturing Gryllus lineaticeps for a while, and they're pretty much the most attractive of all field cricket species, IMO :D

The problem with field crickets, is most people house them incorrectly. Field crickets are burrowers, and most people house them like they do A. domestica, which triggers aggressive behavior and cannibalism. I kept losing them left and right, ending up with one single fat pinhead, until I decided to give them 5 inches of substrate, or so. However cannibalism still happened, despite food and moisture.. If you get your hands on them, good luck!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's a pet store here in the Austin tx area that used to order them from somewhere in California but I haven't seen them in that pet store in a long time. Do you want to buy some or just curious if anybody is selling them? I really liked those things, the centipedes, Ts and scorpions over here never had a problem with those. They do have stronger jaws but I think there was some propaganda by domestica sellers, a smear campaign against those Jamaican crickets. If you didn't take the uneaten ones out they would sometimes attack molting inverts.

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
gryllus can deliver a painful little nip, however I've yet to be bitten by one. Now jerusalem crickets, on the other hand..

bassfanatick

Arachnopeon
gryllus can deliver a painful little nip, however I've yet to be bitten by one. Now jerusalem crickets, on the other hand..
Ive been culturing Gryllus lineaticeps for a while, and they're pretty much the most attractive of all field cricket species, IMO :D

The problem with field crickets, is most people house them incorrectly. Field crickets are burrowers, and most people house them like they do A. domestica, which triggers aggressive behavior and cannibalism. I kept losing them left and right, ending up with one single fat pinhead, until I decided to give them 5 inches of substrate, or so. However cannibalism still happened, despite food and moisture.. If you get your hands on them, good luck!
I would love to get some to keep as pet, right now I just got some house crickets, please pm me.

Crickets gone crazy

Arachnopeon
I would like some as pets as well. Please if any of you know where I can get some please let me know. Thanks,
Crickets gone Crazy

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holy necromancy Batman! They used to sell this species(Gryllus assimilis) during"The Great Cricket Plague" as a replacement for the domestic house cricket, however this species proved to be highly aggressive and implicated in the deaths of several pets. Plus shipping them to some states is illegal.

Fortunately "The Great Cricket Plague" was resolved and house crickets are now widely available again. And Gryllus assimilis is now generally just a bad memory, However from time to time they show up randomly.

Also learn to use Google, one of the first search terms was Jamaican field crickets for sale. ;)

Crickets gone crazy

Arachnopeon
Holy necromancy Batman! They used to sell this species during"The Great Cricket Plague" as a replacement for the domestic house cricket, however this species proved to be highly aggressive and implicated in the deaths of several pets. Plus shipping them to some states is illegal.

Fortunately "The Great Cricket Plague" was resolved and house crickets are now widely available again.
Oh.. I had no idea they where illegal to ship here. Bummer. I'm doing an exparment with my crickets. I have house, Field, and banded crickets together. Already successfully bred house and three diffrent kinds of field cricket together. I just got my banded crickets in the mail. My experiment has to do with what color and what kind of genes will pop out in the offspring.

Last edited:

Dabugboi

Arachnopeon
Oh.. I had no idea they where illegal to ship here. Bummer. I'm doing an exparment with my crickets. I have house, Field, and banded crickets together. Already successfully bred house and three diffrent kinds of field cricket together. I just got my banded crickets in the mail. My experiment has to do with what color and what kind of genes will pop out in the offspring.
Banded crickets, field crickets, and house crickets are all in different genera and i believe field crickets are in a different family to house crickets and banded crickets. I doubt they will hybridise.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
Holy necromancy Batman! They used to sell this species(Gryllus assimilis) during"The Great Cricket Plague" as a replacement for the domestic house cricket, however this species proved to be highly aggressive and implicated in the deaths of several pets. Plus shipping them to some states is illegal.

Fortunately "The Great Cricket Plague" was resolved and house crickets are now widely available again. And Gryllus assimilis is now generally just a bad memory, However from time to time they show up randomly.

Also learn to use Google, one of the first search terms was Jamaican field crickets for sale. ;)
I can't stand how hard these are to find these days. I mean, they nip. So who really cares? Tarantula, spider, scorpion, and centipede bites/stings are much worse.
They don't have a huge invasive species risk. They are already native to North America, and where they are absent they will probably perish outdoors.
These would make interesting pets if people would give them another chance.

How can what was once a feeder become so scarce?
And why are they available in the UK? They aren't even native there.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I can't stand how hard these are to find these days. I mean, they nip. So who really cares? Tarantula, spider, scorpion, and centipede bites/stings are much worse.
They don't have a huge invasive species risk. They are already native to North America, and where they are absent they will probably perish outdoors.
These would make interesting pets if people would give them another chance.

How can what was once a feeder become so scarce?
And why are they available in the UK? They aren't even native there.
Why does uk 🇬🇧 get this stuff wish we could buy feild crickets here I’d like them for variety. Although the chirping might be annoying they are beefier then regular banded crickets 🦗..o well roaches 🪳 best I can do .

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
You're a necromancer! Cease these dark arts!

A quick survey of the last login dates shows everybody in this dead thread has moved on. 🤭

(except Introvertebrate)

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
You're a necromancer! Cease these dark arts!

A quick survey of the last login dates shows everybody in this dead thread has moved on. 🤭

(except Introvertebrate)
Well, not me. I was on this post hoping some seller would have them, and that this thread would show me that seller so we could order and breed a few.
I understand why they don't sell locusts in the US, but these, too? Phooey on that foolishness!