One less hardwickei

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Just thought I'd share some pictures of my deceased hardwickei that has appeared to have failed to completely moult. He/she was only stuck on the last part too (see picture)... I even put water droplets from my pipette on the area he was stuck in whilst he was still struggling. The final image of him in my hand gives a sense of how overdue he was for his age, as he should've moulted 4 months ago and should be around 7" based on his/her age. I also used my small tweezers to peel away the moult, which wasn't even difficult to peel off... I'll always wonder if I did use the tweezers whilst he was still alive, would he still be here? This was my first and favourite invert that I got in November, 2016 and even if the impossible happens; obtaining another of this ever increasingly rare species, he/she will always be irreplaceable.

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
Just thought I'd share some pictures of my deceased hardwickei that has appeared to have failed to completely moult. He/she was only stuck on the last part too (see picture)... I even put water droplets from my pipette on the area he was stuck in whilst he was still struggling. The final image of him in my hand gives a sense of how overdue he was for his age, as he should've moulted 4 months ago and should be around 7" based on his/her age. I also used my small tweezers to peel away the moult, which wasn't even difficult to peel off... I'll always wonder if I did use the tweezers whilst he was still alive, would he still be here? This was my first and favourite invert that I got in November, 2016 and even if the impossible happens; obtaining another of this ever increasingly rare species, he/she will always be irreplaceable.
So sad to see. Poor little bugger.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
So sad to see. Poor little bugger.
Yeah, it's a terrible shame for so much potential and prosperity for years to come. If it's any consolation, at least I'll still get to watch your hardwickei grow and thrive. It's inevitable that these will be available again... And I'll ensure that this little one will be the first and last to die prematurely in my care.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Sorry for you loss, it really sucks to lose an invert like that.
Although this was somewhat expected, as he hasn't eaten since November. It's still very distressing to see him lifeless and now deceased. It's quite peculiar how little he had left to discard too, it wasn't a typical failed moult where it's caught at the midpoint or at the start.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Although this was somewhat expected, as he hasn't eaten since November. It's still very distressing to see him lifeless and now deceased. It's quite peculiar how little he had left to discard too, it wasn't a typical failed moult where it's caught at the midpoint or at the start.
More than likely just too weak if he hadn't eaten since November.

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very sorry for your loss!

Out of curiosity, why are they drying up in the hobby? I thought people had been fairly successful breeding them.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Very sorry for your loss!

Out of curiosity, why are they drying up in the hobby? I thought people had been fairly successful breeding them.
Well, in Europe there are a few sellers that are very successful with breeding these, despite their quite brutal mating rituals. However, the problem is distributing them to people who can then successfully raise them to adulthood. To put it into perspective at how arduous it can be, I received excellent advice on how to raise mine from the first day by the man whom sold me him/her. Yet, as I become more comfortable with the care guidance, I started to subconsciously disregard some of the most important rules when keeping these. I think if mine had moulted successfully, he would've have exited that extremely vulnerable stage that so many hardwickeis perish at. This process, in combination with one of the biggest breeders of this species has recently struggled to find a male to pair with his females. Has resulted in a massive decline in the availability of this species in the past year or so. Fortunately, I believe he's found a male and intends on having more babies this year. Of which I will attempt to purchase 4-5 to increase my chances of raising them to adulthood. My only concern is that the temperatures will soon start to decline and shipping from Belgium to the UK will have probably be a death sentence for hardwickei plings in the midst of winter.