Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by l4nsky, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:39 AM.
I have a little notebook and I record things like feeding dates, molts, rehouses.
I used the Tarantulas app for a long time but didn't like how I couldn't compare in one viewing pane. Switched to an Excel sheet and it's great! Usually I update it once a month within anything big going on in the collection...molts, rehouses, fasting, newbies...
Molts only. Paper log book. Used to record feeding, but the paperwork took longer than the actual feeding, and that's not much fun.
I started keeping records January 2018. I keep track of approximate molt dates (+/- 10 days) and whether an unsexed tarantula ate or not (modifying data if prey isn’t eaten). For nearly a year, I was record-keeping once a week for every tarantula (slings especially). I was doing maintenance (refill water, rehousing, cleaning, etc.) and feeding once a week. I used to do it with index cards and enter the records onto a spreadsheet online. Recently, I print out the spreadsheet and use a clipboard to record data (which will eventually update on spreadsheet).
Keeping records of when a sling ate and molted saves me a lot of time, and this alone justifies my doing so.
I don’t use my phone because I have too many specimens to care for that it would just drain my battery - plus it distracts me from doing what I gotta do
I only record molts, new additions and what size (I like seeing how long it takes different sp to mature), and whenever a sac drops.
I have a detailed two part system. The first consists of a monthly excel feeding schedule with the days of the month on the X axis and the individual tarantulas on the Y axis. I mark in each box whether they ate or not, or a ? so I can check and remove the next day. I mark P's when I see they are in pre-moult so I can skip them until they moult. I also mark M's for days after moulting that I can't feed them, which is the most important. I do that as soon as they moult - mark M's ahead X number of days. In the summer months, I can have a moult a day and there is no way I am keeping track without something to refer to. I also mark rehouses with an R. I print out a copy every month and keep it on a clipboard. It took me a hour to create it and I just copy it to the next month and make minor adjustments if I have added, or lost, any individuals.
The second part is a binder that I keep by type - Arboreal, Dwarf, Terrestrial - and then by genus and species alphabetically. Each individual has a page where I have the purchase date, from whom, size at purchase, cost, and sex if known. I transfer the rehouse and moult dates from the monthly schedule to those pages along with the size of each exuvia if possible. I do that at the end of each month when I have printed the new month. I also keep any significant occurrences in the binder notes - breeding notes, any health issues like moulting difficulties, at what moult/size I was able to determine sex, when I sent males out for breeding loans or when I sold them, and death dates.
I can tell you anything and everything about every tarantula, scorpion, amblypygi and snake I have ever had. I have a science background, so this kind of record keeping is second nature for me and I enjoy it.
I keep a list of all species I own (or owned) plus the sex, number of each species, etc. which you can see a modified version of in the information section of my profile page. Other than that I don't really need any records since I feed everything that needs fed on the same days every week and don't need molt records currently.
Yay for terminal input!!!
I'm also working on a system, primarily to help us keep track of who owns what centipede species in which country so we can be more coordinated on the captive breeding front, because it's really not where it could be on the centipede side. Its primarily a logistics issue down to smaller volume of keepers, smaller clutch sizes but it also seems so many people keep centipedes without seeing a need to breed. Sadly this means certain species are/have already dropped out of captive circulation.
But seeing as I'm a reasonably competent programmer I figured I could make it into a full fledged tracking database too. I think I'll have something ready in a few weeks, so if you're interested in getting on board to help shape the system, or have any feature requests/bugbears about existing solutions please send me a PM.
I use a spreadsheet (Google Sheets, so stored in 'the cloud') in a similar manner to this.
Example columns, which are roughly colour coded to the tarantula. I mark 'm' for moult; 'e.f.' for exuvia found if I don't witness them moulting (if they're fossorial and simply throw the moult out, or if they moult while I'm away); 'rh' for rehousing. I will mark 'R' next to uneaten food that is removed.
Yes, the P. auratus is fed a lot but I'll be slowing her down now, and most of the food items are pretty small compared to her.
Each year gets their own tab in the spreadsheet.
I use the tarantula app for android it records moult, feeding, temps it has a bit to leave notes and a bit for pics