1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the subject of keeping records...

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by l4nsky, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:39 AM.

Do you keep records and what is your method?

1. Yep, I use a notebook and keep detailed records (feeding, molts, rehouse, purchase date, etc)

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. Yep, I use detailed, individual cards I keep on each T's enclosure.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yeah, but I only record major events in a log (molt, rehouse, purchase, breeding)

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. Yes, I use a digital solution like an excel spreadsheet

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. Yes, but I use a different method (Please elaborate)

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  6. No, your guess is as good as mine on when that T last molted

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. l4nsky

l4nsky Arachnosquire Active Member

STL
    Advertisement
    Hola,

So I'd like to get a better sense of how many people keep records, how detailed they are, and what are their methods. The reason being I was recently commissioned to create a piece of record keeping/modifying software for my company. I believe with a little tweaking, I could make a digital record keeping solution that can be configured for all Flora and Fauna. I would like to gauge interest in it before I commit.

Thanks,
    --Matt

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thekla

Thekla Arachnolord Active Member

I use the "Tarantulas" app. I really like it. You can enter detailed infos about your Ts and it records feedings, moults, receiving and rehousing dates, and a lot of other stuff. :)

Screenshot_20190211-115335.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 5:57 AM
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

I did but stopped because it felt pointless which it was. Unless you breed and ship a lot of Ts I don't see a point in it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteveIDDQD

SteveIDDQD Arachnopeon

I tried, and just gave up on it really. I don't have enough T's to need notes, as I can remember what's been happening with just 11.

5. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

As soon as something like record keeping enters the picture, it moves from hobby to business. I don’t mean necessarily commerce but the actual root of the word business, being busy with something. I have enough of busy going on elsewhere, and actually want to enjoy my spoods.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. draconisj4

draconisj4 Arachnoknight

I use an old fashioned binder with a page for each T and the other insectivores I have around 50 in total and a terrible memory. I find it much faster to just grab the binder and write stuff down then type info into an app.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnobaron Active Member

I have a notebook for my records. While I don't record the larger specimens, because I didn't record them back then (So no idea on dates of molts). I record all the juveniles and slings that I currently have. Which is somewhat helpful to predict the next molt based on frequency.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    I keep an excel spreadsheet with around 10 columns of information, including species name, pet name, where acquired from, original price, last day it ate, when it last moulted, CB or WC, and a few others.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnosquire

Utah
    I used too keep records but eventually got tired of it and dont do it any more.

10. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    I find keeping records of rehousing and feeding to be pretty pointless. I keep track of purchase date, molt dates, and legspans, mostly. Those kinds of things give me an overview on roughly how old a T is, how long it's been since the last molt so that I have an idea of when it may be entering premolt, and how quickly it grew so that I have a baseline to go off of if I get more slings of that species again.

I prefer the paper notebook. Fast, easy, no firmware updates, battery, corrupt memory, etc to worry about.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

I use the Tarantulas android app and periodically back it up to Dropbox.

I use it to keep a record of receive dates, feeding (also as a reminder to feed as I don't feed them all on the same days), moults, rehouses, etc.

I've got 70 Ts to look after, I hate physically writing stuff down, and my memory is screwy so it's a lifesaver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    I have a folder in my computer named "spider logs" filled with .txt documents. I name a doc after an individual and track what day I got it, when it molted, and things like when sperm webs are made if it's a MM or other important breeding stuff. I don't care about feeding dates because I can tell when a T needs to eat based on how fat it is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Old Timer

Good ol fashioned paper and pen records... one page for each spider, with: the date and place of acquisition, the spider's name (or a space for a name if they don't have one yet), the sex (or a space) and species, then the dates of feedings/molts/pairings. I keep a separate record for mature males that has the same information but also the circumstances of their pairings (50/50 loan, etc).

When I have sacs, I do a notecard per sling so that their record can be sent with them if they are sold. When I know they'll be staying, they get a page in the book.

Recording keeping IS a hobby :p

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoangel Active Member

USA
    i used to use the tarantula app but for a large number of spiders it just takes too much time and effort scrolling through and open and close every spider to add molts etc. Still use it (loosely) to track when i received and who from, and molt dates and pairing dated i just shapie on the enclosure.

I have debated starting a spreadsheet but that probably won't happen either. MAYBE i would use something if i could type a single line (similar to typing a linenof code into the trminal on the computer) in and it would auto fill the appropriate info to the appropriate spood.

Ex Balbo1 f-roach
    (enter to spider Balbo1 Fed today prey roach)

Gpulchra1 m
    (Gpulchra molted today)

Would probably want some sort if code for entry of the following data:

Feeding days
    - i would make it so a date can be specified or if left blank it assumes the day of entry
    -i would also add a parameter for the prey item used

Molt date
    -use same dare rntry method as feeding
    -have parameter for size
    -have parameter for issues

Pairing dates
    -parameter for the male and/or owner of the male for loan purposes
    -Notes

dates of dropping sacs
    dates for sperm webs

If entering data for a specimen that doesn't already exist, it should prompt for acquisition date, source, size, genus, and species.

And ideally everything would be saved into an excel spreadsheet or similar format which is easy to read.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. MintyWood826

MintyWood826 Arachnoknight Active Member

I currently use a note/memo app to keep track of molts, names, species names, and sex. I've been planning to add a little more info such as the seller they're from and keep copies of the info on paper.

• Like Like x 1
  16. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist Arachnosupporter

I write everything down in my 2019 Agenda Planner but usually just moult dates or the first day I suspect a T is in premoult. I've never written down rehousing dates or anything like that. I also record the day after the last moult that the T starts eating again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

I don’t keep records but I was envisioning a sort of database to keep track of Poecilotheria availability so it’d be easier to keep track of what species were available in what state. That way if a certain state was lacking/various breeding projects/etc. then people could look it up and go from there.

• Like Like x 2
  18. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist Arachnosupporter

Ooh, that's an interesting idea! Kind of like a breed registry almost for horses or dogs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

Notebook. Moults.

• Like Like x 2
  20. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh Arachnosupporter

42E93B78-452F-4C07-A532-6B9CE41178F3.png

Have another tab for when I got them, who I got them from and what size.