On the structural integrity of sand.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is it a good Idea to leave a rock in my scorpion's enclosure? Right now it's digging a burrow under the rock. I'm assuming this is normal, or my scorpion would have chosen a different place to dig its burrow.

What concerns me is that the rock is fairly small, which means that the scorpion has burrowed under most of the rock. That is, the rock is mostly being held in place by a thin layer of sand.

Should I be concerned and intervene? Or should I accept that my scorpion knows more about scorpion burrows than I do, and that it knows what it is doing?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The scorpion has chosen this rock in which to burrow under because of lack of choices, most likely. I'll have to state that it is best to keep from having to disturb the scorpion, but provide a large enough rock for the scorpion to burrow under without the concern of it falling on the scorpion. If, indeed, the rock is, as you say, small, as long as it is not heavy enough to kill the scorpion or injure it if it collapses, you can choose to leave it be, but I'd personally recommend that it be changed out with a rock that better suits being burrowed under. I use large, flat stones because they provide ample room for the scorpion to burrow under, as well as ample room for young to begin with their first burrows, and all without the concern of the rock hurting any of them. Several of the enclosures I keep have large, round stones which have been modified (fiberglass 1"x1" tubing and adhesive at four corners) to prevent falling or becoming unstable.

adios,
edw. ;)

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
The scorpion has chosen this rock in which to burrow under because of lack of choices, most likely. I'll have to state that it is best to keep from having to disturb the scorpion, but provide a large enough rock for the scorpion to burrow under without the concern of it falling on the scorpion. If, indeed, the rock is, as you say, small, as long as it is not heavy enough to kill the scorpion or injure it if it collapses, you can choose to leave it be, but I'd personally recommend that it be changed out with a rock that better suits being burrowed under. I use large, flat stones because they provide ample room for the scorpion to burrow under, as well as ample room for young to begin with their first burrows, and all without the concern of the rock hurting any of them. Several of the enclosures I keep have large, round stones which have been modified (fiberglass 1"x1" tubing and adhesive at four corners) to prevent falling or becoming unstable.

adios,
edw. ;)
Ah, thanks! That's actually a great idea. I don't think I can move the rock at this point without causing the burrow to collapse on my scorpion. But since the rock is directly touching the side if te enclosure, I should be able to glue gun it to te side of the enclosure with the scorpion being none the wiser.

Thanks!

Last edited: