OMG This is bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
No all this ultimate male stuff, and adult male you're talking about is irrelevant. He made all the advances, and did the tap dance as a male would do. So with these facts, and adding what you just said, he's an ADULT male. Or ULTIMATE male as you say.

A female, entering another females territory, is not going to present mating taps. Period. Or an introduction as he did.
You are completly incorrect. Please sit down and read a book. You have no idea what your talking about. Males that are not ultimate do not court females. what ever you may have witnessed was not a male courting a female. You dont even know how to tell the difference between a male and female. You could have 2 females courting each other. And even if you found out you have a male. You would have no idea if he was ultimate. They have sex organs on there pedipalps for transfering sperm. Note that only ultimate males have these sex organs. :rolleyes: Now i see why people are frustrated with you. {D I am not trying to be mean but you are embarrassing yourself.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Yes, they have bad eyesight, but Your T was SCOPING OUT It's HOME.
They climb glass, and of course they will climb the styrofoam to see what's up, Thus him finding the opening- Again something you should have known from the begining.

Not only males do the "dance" or tapping.
I have immitated tapping on my Female G.rosea's enclosure, and she responderd...TO ME. And for the past few days, has been Tapping even when I wasnt, LOOKING FOR A MATE.

Did he have hooks? did he have spermathacae (SP?)

That may be true, but Have you ever PERSONALLY witnessed the mating taps of a T? Could it have just been adjusting it's legs? or giving the other T a Warming? yes, it could have been.

I have made the mistake of putting 2 FEMALES in the same tank before- and they Went at it. One would have been munched on if I hadent acted fast and seperated them- Because I beleived I had a male. That was before what I knew now.

You say all these things like you KNOW what you're talking about.
Putting the word "fact" in every sentence doesnt do anything for you, because you do NOT OBVIOUSLy know these facts, as we can all tell with your posts.
I know what I'm talking about because I witnessed the event!! Don't get wrinkled because I'm not a complete idiot to arachnids. You said YOU did the tapping. You didn't say your female tarantula is doing the tapping. Case closed on that one.

Also your two females going at it is what two females will do. Once again I know this, you know this why are you mentioning it? What I said was, this was no female spider, and you're making up things to prove yourself right.

I never stated he was just moving his legs. I clearly stated what happened because I WATCHED IT. I said *tapping*. In the spider world we all know what this means. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing it's ridiculous.

A male honeybee doesn't do the female scout dance. So stop acting like your female spiders act as males all of a sudden.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
You are completly incorrect. Please sit down and read a book. You have no idea what your talking about. Males that are not ultimate do not court females. what ever you may have witnessed was not a male courting a female. You dont even know how to tell the difference between a male and female. You could have 2 females courting each other. And even if you found out you have a male. You would have no idea if he was ultimate. They have sex organs on there pedipalps for transfering sperm. Note that only ultimate males have these sex organs. :rolleyes: Now i see why people are frustrated with you. {D I am not trying to be mean but you are embarrassing yourself.
This is stupidity now. You're telling me WHAT I MAY HAVE, and I'm telling you WHAT I SAW!! Do you know the difference between that? 2 females courting each other? OMG you're another one here to argue for the sake of arguing. Good grief!!

You're so ready to co-sign someone elses weak argument that you have no clue how ridiculous you're sounding. And then you continue your *PROBABILITY* argument with "and even if you did find out you have a male" blah blah blah.. You're arguing me off what ifs and maybes and I'm presenting facts.

epic fail.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
This is stupidity now. You're telling me WHAT I MAY HAVE, and I'm telling you WHAT I SAW!! Do you know the difference between that? 2 females courting each other? OMG you're another one here to argue for the sake of arguing. Good grief!!

You're so ready to co-sign someone elses weak argument that you have no clue how ridiculous you're sounding. And then you continue your *PROBABILITY* argument with "and even if you did find out you have a male" blah blah blah.. You're arguing me off what ifs and maybes and I'm presenting facts.

epic fail.
You dont even know what an ultimate male is yet you claim to be knowledgable. I will just leave it at this: Your too stuborn to do any research yet you try to argue that you know what your talking about when in fact you do not. I think abra is right when she said smallara2.. and i think someone said something about a batgirl2.. :wall: :wall:

Edit: you also state the fact that you dont know how to sex a spider properly. Showing me you have no idea if ones male or female.. You cant even tell the difference between a G. rosea and a LP! Im sorry but after all the hostility and know it all newb responces you deserve what you got in the begining.

Last edited:

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Wachusaynoob, I know what they do. I had him and observed him closely for 3 weeks. He NEVER and I mean NEVER climbed his enclosure which was a 5 gallon enclosure. He was very inactive and hardly ate and I was worried about him. He would rarely pace his enclosure, only sit in a few spots here and there not wanting to be bothered.

There was a cricket on his side of the tank at the top of the enclosure. I thought he was after the cricket. he wasn't. He tapped the cricket (literally) out of the way, and made his way OVER the top.

Now on the otherhand, at the pet store when I bought the big girl, she was in an enclosure of woodchip bedding, and sitting about 12-16 inches at the top of her enclosure dangerously. Which is another reason I bought her. But when I got her in her new home she hasn't climbed yet either, not has the smaller Rosea I bought the day before.

They have paced, webbed a little, sat out in the open and made it known that they are comfortable. So I disagree with your take on him simply exploring.
okay, yes they are pet rocks as everyone likes to call them but I Own 3 of the species, one of them Is anything but a rock. I actually Had her set up half arboreal/terrestrial because she did that much walking around. She webbed EVERYTHING in the enclosure, substrate AND the Branches I set in there.

One of the other two Is the perfect example of a rock. but occasionally I caught her on the glass, sometimes higher than normal. I can guarantee you arent always observing your T, and if you are then I highly reccomend you go outside for some air. But when you arent around, and when you're sleeping (they are somewhat nocturnal) It's moving about trying to find a way out of its glass (or plastic) box.

Now I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm just saying.
Also, You shouldnt worry about your T's eating unless there abdomen starts to shrink. I'm sure you know this, but as long as they have a water dish they will be absolutely fine and dandy. I monitor what and how much mine eat by tong-feeding that way I KNOW they ate because I witness it. And always check back the same day to clean out leftovers.

(the last one I just got So I have no idea what her personality is like)

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
I know what I'm talking about because I witnessed the event!! Don't get wrinkled because I'm not a complete idiot to arachnids. You said YOU did the tapping. You didn't say your female tarantula is doing the tapping. Case closed on that one.

Also your two females going at it is what two females will do. Once again I know this, you know this why are you mentioning it? What I said was, this was no female spider, and you're making up things to prove yourself right.

I never stated he was just moving his legs. I clearly stated what happened because I WATCHED IT. I said *tapping*. In the spider world we all know what this means. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing it's ridiculous.

A male honeybee doesn't do the female scout dance. So stop acting like your female spiders act as males all of a sudden.

I said that I TAPPED, and she TAPPED back, Please re-read.

Just because what I'm saying doesnt DIRECTLY concern you it's still things you should take in and ponder.

Last edited:

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
on a side note-

I've witnessed my Rosea JUMP off of my hand onto a nearby shelf. Literally JUMP. It wasnt a fall. Freaked me out LOL.
I completely understand why you use the word "jump" to describe what you see, but the Rosie isn't gaining any altitude. It simply lunges forward off of something (like your hand) or lunges downward to a lower surface. In either case it is usually only a very short distance. A fall from any considerable height for a rosie is a mistake that it can only make once.

IF you were to place a rosie on a flat surface, and position another flat surface 3" higher, and 8" away from the tarantula; the rosie could never make it. Don't try this, or you'll end up with a splat on the ground. Again, it doesn't actually "jump", it lunges forward with almost no net gain in altitude. It would be hard pressed to get its body 1" off the ground. What very tiny gain it does accomplish upward is solely through the powerful thrusting forward motion and is accomplished only at a very low angle in relation to the surface it is on. If anyone has any evidence contrary to this, I really would like to see it (seriously).

They certainly do have the appearance of "jumping", and I completely understand why the word is used. The fact is though, it's a basic physics problem for their bodies and it just doesn't work well.

I had absolutely no intention of bringing up such a trivial debate. I just wanted to illustrate that if people want to sit and pick someone apart based on technicalities, or whatever other reason, it's not hard to do. The point is that it's not productive and only leads to someone having hard feelings in the end.

-Charles

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I completely understand why you use the word "jump" to describe what you see, but the Rosie isn't gaining any altitude. It simply lunges forward off of something (like your hand) or lunges downward to a lower surface. In either case it is usually only a very short distance. A fall from any considerable height for a rosie is a mistake that it can only make once.

IF you were to place a rosie on a flat surface, and position another flat surface 3" higher, and 8" away from the tarantula; the rosie could never make it. Don't try this, or you'll end up with a splat on the ground. Again, it doesn't actually "jump", it lunges forward with almost no net gain in altitude. It would be hard pressed to get its body 1" off the ground. What very tiny gain it does accomplish upward is solely through the powerful thrusting forward motion and is accomplished only at a very low angle in relation to the surface it is on. If anyone has any evidence contrary to this, I really would like to see it (seriously).

They certainly do have the appearance of "jumping", and I completely understand why the word is used. The fact is though, it's a basic physics problem for their bodies and it just doesn't work well.

I had absolutely no intention of bringing up such a trivial debate. I just wanted to illustrate that if people want to sit and pick someone apart based on technicalities, or whatever other reason, it's not hard to do. The point is that it's not productive and only leads to someone having hard feelings in the end.

-Charles
I have no idea how this is relevent to this thread. :? And even when my avics jump they dont gain any altitude. But again this really has no place in this thread whatso ever. If i missed something please point it out. :? :confused:

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
I have no idea how this is relevent to this thread. :? And even when my avics jump they dont gain any altitude. But again this really has no place in this thread whatso ever. If i missed something please point it out. :? :confused:

See post 110, but it really had no revelance I was just jumping in out of nowhere on that one LOL

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well guys, I think we all found out who the "know-it-all" is now :wall:eek:uTou have now officially lost any sympathy from anybody now. You talk about how you didn't deserve any of the first 6 pages of attacks. Well even if you didn't, you deserve all 9 now. You have no one to stand up for you now that you want to be the "all knowing one." It would be one thing if you really did know it all and acted this way, but you, you sir know nothing.

Dawgpound, you have no clue what you're talking about. Once again adult male doesn't equal ultimate male. Tell me, did your "adult male" have hooks under his front two legs? And did his pedipalps look like he was wearing boxing gloves? Why don't you post a pic? We could tell you if it was or not. But then again, you'd probably just say we are wrong and continue to think you know everything there is to know about spiders.

I can't believe a 38 year old is acting like such a child.

Last edited:

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive read this post over and over again. to the point where all the posts look the same.
i find a few inadequacies in this.
im very tired so this post is going to be really sloppy,. i apologize beforehand and when i wake up i will clarify my mistakes.
im a noob and still will be for a while. but i have come to learn that T's do weird things and i don't need to post every thing they do, if its not harmful why bother? unless you can just hold the excitement and you must tell the whole
world, we have all done that.

ok so here are my issues with the OP
so he has seen mating videos, knows his terminology, even talked to other tarantula keepers but yet he doesn't do the research or if he does he some how missed the mating part.

second, i believe some of us have forgotten that these are wild animals, and their behaviors haven't been fully documented. so to make assumptions that they are just pet rocks is incorrect. they do weird things
this is a rosie we are talking about...THEY ARE CRAZY!

3rd what i am offended by the most is your question was answered with a picture. i didnt see a thank you. you kept defending yourself instead. but if you did, i didnt see it as i am tired at the moment then you can ignore my 3rd part.
/end of rant

now my suggestion to you OP is to buy the tarantulas keeper guide- it is the best investment one could make. if there is a will there is a way, if a store doesnt have it, ask em to order and they will. eevr since i received my copy i almost stopped posting completely, know i just browse to see epic pictures, comment on cool things, and help if out if i can. so please buy the guide. not only is it useful but it is also a nice catalog for the next T you want to purchase.

and in my final say..with my first post i admit there was some negativity towards it, and i will admit i have negative emotions towards you. and this next part also applies to me.... just drop this subject once and for all. you have nothing to gain or lose from this.. this wont stop. be the better man and stop. while i could say this about other negative posters even myself and we should stop to, but i am not going to and i will be the bad guy for that...

but out of all this rambling i just posted i hope you thank the guy/girl who told you the difference between g.rosea and LP if you havent allready.
secondly pick up the TKG. its the most useful guide on T's you will ever need.

again im tired so if anyone who is reading this is unsure of what i am, please specify and i will clear it up..same with grammar...thank you.

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Relevant to the OP's post, no. Relevant to the rest of the thread, yes.

I have several posts in this thread. If you didn't read them all, it won't make any sense (may not even if you read them, lol {D). You caught the tail end of a conversation that is pieced throughout several pages.

I appreciate you calling me out though. :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Relevant to the OP's post, no. Relevant to the rest of the thread, yes.

I have several posts in this thread. If you didn't read them all, it won't make any sense (may not even if you read them, lol {D). You caught the tail end of a conversation that is pieced throughout several pages.

I appreciate you calling me out though. :)
I was calling you out. :D Mainly because i dont see its relevence in this thread. But i do agree this happends alot (people nit picking like vultures on microscopic mis-haps of definition and term use). I read most all the posts.. I was more inclined to help when i started posting... but after hearing from the OP directly, i just feel the need to fling poop like the rest of you guys. {D {D Pretty rediculous thread but thats it is.
Edit: I take my time making sure what im saying makes scense and im not missing anything. Thats how alot of threads go off topic. Simple oversight= poop flinging contest. {D

Last edited:

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dawg, might I suggest going back to the beginning of this thread and reading the first 2 pages over again?

I just did, just to be reminded of how this all started. I have to say, you really overreacted. I believe you will see that when you look back. I know it is a long shot but I suggest you swallow your pride and apologize to the people who did try to help you out before you blew up.

Even more recently in this thread, Agent tried to offer advice and you came back at him with hostility as well.

Regarding the attempted divider...

In the photos you posted, I previously failed to notice the divider you attempted to use. Is that really a piece of styrofoam thrown in between the two sides?

On the first page Cody mentions that he has successfully set up a split tank, and listed another source who has as well. Maybe instead of blowing up, you should have been asking him for advice on what you could have done differently, if for nothing more than to learn something new, or for future reference.

Splitting a tank can be complicated, which is part of the reason I haven't done it. From the limited knowledge I have on the subject, it is generally a good idea to have the two sides completely sealed, top to bottom (ie: no room to dig under or over), from one another.

Also, the material you use is important. Styrofoam (if that is what you used, for example) is fragile and I don't think it would be too hard for a T to dig at an edge and make room to break free to the other side. Some T's have been known to tear through metal mesh and screen lids. I have witnessed some of mine trying to chew through plastic with their fangs.

It is also better to have two separate lids for them as opposed to a single lid in case a T is startled when you open it and runs to the other side, among other potential problems along that line.

TL;DR version: Dawg, take your mistakes as an opportunity to learn. Simply acknowledging them and moving on will teach you nothing.

I probably just wasted so much time...

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dawgpound, you have no clue what you're talking about. Once again adult male doesn't equal ultimate male.
This statement confused me. A tarantula is an adult when it reaches sexual maturity. And males reach sexual maturity on their ultimate moult. Hence an ultimate male is an adult male. Were you considering a penultimate male as an adult? At that stage on some spiders you can see that the pedipalps are beginning to differentiate from females, but the male hasn't yet reached maturity.

Not picking on you - just trying to figure out why you'd say an adult male isn't an ultimate male.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This statement confused me. A tarantula is an adult when it reaches sexual maturity. And males reach sexual maturity on their ultimate moult. Hence an ultimate male is an adult male. Were you considering a penultimate male as an adult? At that stage on some spiders you can see that the pedipalps are beginning to differentiate from females, but the male hasn't yet reached maturity.

Not picking on you - just trying to figure out why you'd say an adult male isn't an ultimate male.
Yeah I probably shouldve worded it better, but it probably doesn't matter to him anyway, he probably calls anything 4" and over an adult, in his mind there is ONLY sling, juvie, and adult. I was trying to make him understand the concept because he was throwing around
the terms adult and mature without knowing what an ultimate male was.

Plus when I asked how he knew it was a mature male, his response was "common sense." He didn't say anything about how to tell when a male is mature, but he kept calling it an adult. All purposes of my statement was aimed at trying to help him understand.

Last edited:

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
No all this ultimate male stuff, and adult male you're talking about is irrelevant. He made all the advances, and did the tap dance as a male would do. So with these facts, and adding what you just said, he's an ADULT male. Or ULTIMATE male as you say.
OK, you're starting to make me sorry I ever challenged people to be easier on you. I still think that people here are far too prone to n00b-bashing, but why are you playing the role they've created for you? Why are you acting exactly like the stubborn, dismissive, and arrogant n00b everyone tried to make you out to be? It doesn't have to be this way... you are becoming very unpleasant, and people HAVE toned it down, so I wouldn't suggest blaming your continued bad attitude on others.

Your quote above is completely wrong. ADULT male can mean "eh, I think my tarantula's basically full-grown". However, ULTIMATE male means something very specific... esp with Grammostola species. It means that when they have something called "tibial hooks", which are very plainly visible to the naked eye, they are quite large. Also, they develop pedipapls that look like "boxing gloves". This, despite your insistence, is actually what "ultimate male" means. If your T does not have tibial hooks and male pedipalps, it is not an ultimate male. If it is not an ultimate male, there was NO breeding attempt taking place. It's like saying that if a 9 year-old walked into a bar, they'd start hitting on people... not going to happen, because they aren't mature yet.

So, please realize that everyone isn't against you because they don't believe that you saw what you saw... they are trying to correct your incorrect interpretation. What you think you saw is not what you're trying to explain it as, for many good reasons.

Now, you need to settle down or I will just rid the board of this thread. If you don't fix your attitude quickly, I don't see why people should be concerned with helping you. I've fixed the initial problems... anything further, you're just sort of creating for yourself.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Interesting development through the night. With much madness! On the internet I use my signature just because of issues like this. :)

Anyways, I wasn't defending Dawg at all. He messed up, shared, and is not good at all at taking criticism. That's ok. We all don't need to be educated...some people just don't want to learn. I still agree with my previous posts that there are some people on here that blow up out of proportion, but with Dawgs latest comments I see a real lack of logic. Not in the lexical definition of the word...but in the scientific sense (philosophy).

I have read some of Smallera's posts lately and haven't seen behavior like this. Did he behave like Dawg is now? And if so, that'd be interesting. Because Smallera is what, in his early teens?

Spiral_Stairs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have no intention of perpetuating this godforsaken thread further, but I have wanted to say this since page 1: If you are afraid of being bitten by a seemingly docile G. rosea (you did say that it didn't give you any problems), maybe you would have better luck with gerbils?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why are you acting exactly like the stubborn, dismissive, and arrogant n00b everyone tried to make you out to be?
I don't believe anybody made him out to be like that. You have to realize how a person acts on here, is how they normally act anyway. I don't believe this is the first time he's ever gone off the deep end before. Just the first time on here.

If you are afraid of being bitten by a seemingly docile G. rosea (you did say that it didn't give you any problems), maybe you would have better luck with gerbils?
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.