Old World T, good beginner?

Spiderkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@Blackprizm, This sounds like a very, very bad idea lol :D

@OP, my first OW was a P. murinus, and she has never given me a problem. OBT's are cheap, beautiful, and tough as nails. As long as you are prepared for and respect their speed and defensiveness, you should have nothing to worry about.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@OP, my first OW was a P. murinus, and she has never given me a problem. OBT's are cheap, beautiful, and tough as nails. As long as you are prepared for and respect their speed and defensiveness, you should have nothing to worry about.
Speaking of the OP, it's been 9 years since he posted this. He hasn't logged on to AB in 6 years :p

jdl

Arachnosquire
I think it will depend on you. The first question is have you kept any tarantulas at all? If you have, are any of them aggressive/nervous species such as Psalmopoeus? Third, how much research have you done? My first tarantula order was five spiderlings and two were Pterinochilus, murinus and widenmanni. I have kept spiders for 20 years and have never been bitten. There are a lot of videos on youtube that show how fast tarantulas are and even generally docile species have bitten human beings that assumed they would not get bit. I heard a story of a biologist that was terrified of a Brachypelma albopilosum as it struck every time you even walked past the cage. The only thing about Poecilotheria, Haplopelma and Pelinobius is they have pretty specific care needs. If you think you can provide those, go for it. Last is what tools do you have and where do you plan to take care of it. I use fish nets and forceps for the spiders that like to escape. Heteroscodra macula is famous for darting out of cages and you have to make sure there isn't a lot of crevices it can escape into. Once again, do a lot of research whatever your choice is and make sure both you and the spider are safe. Good luck.