Old Age (Geriatric Pets)

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Well, it looks like old age is starting to catch up with my oldest "child" now. Flash is a 13 year old Persian cat. I bought him for show/breeding when he was less than a year old.

Last night, he started crying out in pain. Since he'd had an episode with FUS (Feline Urological Sydrome....where crystals block his urine flow causing toxins to build up.....can be fatal if not rushed to the vet), it's been several years since he's even SEEN the vet for anything.

We couldn't take chance with the possibility of FUS springing up again, so we took him to the emergency animal hospital. We still don't know what's wrong with him, but we suspect arthritis may have set in. The vet assured us it probably wasn't FUS since his bladder was small. He said he could run a bunch of tests (at emergency room prices) or he could just give us a painkiller for the cat and we could take him to our regular vet today and have the tests run are normal prices.

We have an appointment for tonight and the cat seems relatively fine. The reason arthritis has even come up as an option is that we've noticed he's having a harder time jumping up on things and seems to prefer to "park" on the floor more often.

Yesterday afternoon, he'd jumped onto the bed and almost missed. I saw him have to really grab on to keep from falling back down.

Has anyone seen the movie "My Dog Skip"? Well, there is a scene where the dog is in the same situation as my Flash and I remember crying when I saw that scene. My eyes get teary seeing Flash go through the same thing. It makes me realize we will be lucky to have him stay in our family for very much longer.

We'll see what the vet says tonight. I really hope it's just something minor. The last time I talked to the breeder, Flash's father was 16 years old and doing fine. I'm hoping to get at LEAST 16 good year out of my Flash. We also have his son, who will be 11 in a few more days. I hope everything goes well, though we get to see the fussiest of all the vets there. He'll probably tell us Flash needs his teeth cleaned again. *sigh*

Wysi

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Leave it to me to end up sticking stuff in the "wrong" sections. I forgot there was a particular place for furries to be discussed. :p

Wysi

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Wysi,
I hope everything goes well for you and Flash.
You should discuss having Flash take glucosamine (sp?) MSM, and OPCs with your vet. It really helps arthritic animals, and can help rebuild joints.
I've got my 8 year old dog on Synovi G-3, bought from my vet, and I can see a real difference in the way she acts.
I also have alot of clients with geriatric pets, and most of them are giving their animals some form of glucosamine etc.
Holley

EDIT: corrected spelling!

Last edited:

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
Wysi,
I hope everything goes well for you and Flash.
You should discuss having Flash take gloucosamine (sp?) MSM, and OPCs with your vet. It really helps arthritic animals, and can help rebuild joints.
I've got my 8 year old dog on Syonvi G-3, bought from my vet, and I can see a real difference in the way she acts.
I also have alot of clients with geriatric pets, and most of them are giving their animals some form of gloucosamine etc.
Holley
Thanks for the warm thoughts, Holley! :)

Evidently, there may be something else going on. We still don't know what it is. Our vet took some blood and some urine. We're supposed to get the results tomorrow. Flash's bladder was full tonight, though not hard like it usually gets in FUS cases. I just hope it turns out to be something minor that will go away in a few days. He's such a wonderful, sweet. little fellow.

Wysi

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I hope your kitty gets feeling better soon. I cant offer any advice, since Holly already did! We also give our old cat Glucosamine and it seems to help. Hes 17, you know. Who knows how many more years our kitties could give us! (provided their not in pain)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, let us know how it goes, hopefully they can do something to help him out.