1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okinawa Trapdoor Spider Egg sac

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Denbert, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    I would just like to ask about trapdoor spiders having eggsac. How to care for it. An when is the right time to pull the egg sac out? Thanks

PS. I do not have much knowledge on this matter. Please bear with me. haha. Thank you! :)

2. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Trapdoor eggsacs are really hard to pull. Best to just wait until the slings emerge on their own. Carewise just keep doing what you're doing since the mother was comfortable enough to drop a sac. She'll make sure it's properly cared for.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wouldn't the slings escape the enclosure?

4. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

I don't believe they can climb smooth surfaces, but I don't know how you have them set up either.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I could just leave them in the enclosure of their mom until they climb out of the enclosure? thank you. :)

6. RezonantVoid

RezonantVoid Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

Leave the slings to their own devices. They take quite a while to hatch but once they do, they will just stay in the mother's burrow for ages. Once they start coming outside, carefully empty the container into a larger one and seperate the mother. Once all the the slings have settled down and made their own burrows, you can decide what you want to do with them.
    20190226_134031.jpg 20190310_085112.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. I have mine crawling far from their mother and their really really small. Is this a good sign? It's even hard to see them.

8. RezonantVoid

If they are freely crawling around, then now is a good time to remove them, otherwise they may start eating each other if they are in a small container.

I would remove all substrate from the mother's container and transfer it into a larger one, and then rehouse the mother back into her container again. Add some more substrate to the larger container, the extra space and substrate should help prevent the slings eating each other. For feeding, I order pinhead crickets online and shake a bunch into the container but if they are not available to you then flightless fruit fly colonies will also suffice. Is this species Latouchia swinhoei?

9. Yes. These are Latouchia Swinhoei. I don't think they'd be able to eat any feeders now. They are too small for that. Can I separate them and do water feeding instead?

10. RezonantVoid

If you have enough containers, you can seperate them individually, but for now it would be easiest to just put all the slings in a larger container. Wetting down the topsoil will let them drink so that's a good idea. Trapdoor slings can go quite a while before their first meal, but to be safe I'd look at ordering something small enough for them to eat like pinheads or fruit flies. Can I see a photo of them? I'll be able to tell you how urgently they need food or if they will be right for a while

• Like Like x 1
  11. Here's the picture. They're really small tho. Thank you. ☺

Attached Files:

12. RezonantVoid

They look nice and plump so they should be fine for a little while. Last batch of Arbanitis sp. ones I had I just fed the whole lot twice a week, but once a week would be fine too. The flightless fruit flies are probably better because they don't jump away like crickets do

• Like Like x 1
  13. But can I still put them all in one enclosure?

14. RezonantVoid

20180706_082600.jpg
    Yep. Try using something around 30cmx30cm wide and 10cm deep (12"X12"x4").
    This was what the little Arbanitis sp. were kept in for a while. This species doesn't build lids so it is easy to see all their little burrows