Okay setups for Phidippus regius?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Hey all! I'm usually in the tarantula section, but I'm expecting a shipment of a few jumping spiders (2 subadult/adult P. regius and 2 sling/juvenile P. audax), and I'd like some additional opinions on my setups for the P. regius. I haven't set up the P. audax enclosures yet, but I plan to set them up the same, but in enclosures that are half the height (the enclosures would otherwise be identical). Are the setups too barren or are they enough? There's ventilation on all sides. Does anyone have any suggestions on improvement? I should still have a day or two until they arrive, so there's still time for adjustments.

Thanks in advance!

20180723_141816.jpg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd say that's fine, honestly probably fancier than anything I'd do lol. I keep mine in 32 oz deli cups with a piece of bark or a leaf and that's about it. Even with the decorations, you can still probably expect the spider to build its hammock up on the lid because that's what they tend to do.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I'd say that's fine, honestly probably fancier than anything I'd do lol. I keep mine in 32 oz deli cups with a piece of bark or a leaf and that's about it. Even with the decorations, you can still probably expect the spider to build its hammock up on the lid because that's what they tend to do.
Glad to hear they look alright. :) I'm not quite as comfortable with my true spider setups as I am with my T setups. Part of the reason I opted for these enclosures is because of the corners near the lid that I was hoping might encourage webbing there instead of right on the lid. Hopefully they'll build their hammocks there instead, but only time will tell

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Glad to hear they look alright. :) I'm not quite as comfortable with my true spider setups as I am with my T setups. Part of the reason I opted for these enclosures is because of the corners near the lid that I was hoping might encourage webbing there instead of right on the lid. Hopefully they'll build their hammocks there instead, but only time will tell
If you have any painter's tape (I think that's what the blue tape is called) you can put a little bit up near those corners that may encourage webbing. Jumpers seem to like that material for some reason, so they might decide they like webbing to that better than the lid.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
If you have any painter's tape (I think that's what the blue tape is called) you can put a little bit up near those corners that may encourage webbing. Jumpers seem to like that material for some reason, so they might decide they like webbing to that better than the lid.
That's really interesting! I'll try that out when I get them in

basin79

ArachnoGod
I did this for my jumpers when I had them. Worked like a charm.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I did this for my jumpers when I had them. Worked like a charm.

That's a great idea! I have a few of those little vials lying around, so I could definitely use them for that. Thanks for the suggestion!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks! :) I figured with how curious they usually are, they'd appreciate different things to explore
They also seem to "enjoy" time out of their enclosure too. They really have a good look around when they're out. Obviously DON'T leave them unattended or let them wander. I just let mine wander around the outside of their enclosures or on my hands/arms.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
They also seem to "enjoy" time out of their enclosure too. They really have a good look around when they're out. Obviously DON'T leave them unattended or let them wander. I just let mine wander around the outside of their enclosures or on my hands/arms.
Good to know! I'm considering giving one of each of the jumpers to my boyfriend, and he'd love having spiders he could actually interact with