OK so I panicked when I saw my Chilean on her back. I wasn't fully awake yet and I flipped her over.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I am very optimistic now the T has completed its moult -- Yay!!!
Been watching this thread throughout the day, a virtual roller-coaster ride of worry and hope!

Kim, after this worrisome day -- you'll be reading, studying and developing into a T expert soon! lol
Best of luck and good wishes for your T! And welcome to the boards! :)

TarantulaArvind

Arachnopeon
There are many Ppl who advocate for "experience before research" .. But this is a classic example of "research more important than experience".

I've been researching tarantulas for last more than a year and haven't got a tarantula yet . Basically all the ins and outs of tarantula husbandry..

I feel, researching more before going hands on let's me have an outsider 3rd person perspective, and makes me ask all the possible questions to troubleshoot any potential problem that might arise once I start owning one. Basically I have the luxury of imagining up all the possible scenarios and trying to troubleshoot it without actually owning a T.

Had I gone directly and bought a tarantula, I might have not been able to foresee such a situation such as "what to do if a tarantula is mistakenly flipped mid - molt". I'd be only addressing problems as and when they present themselves.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you do ur research, with a proper framework ie., do ur homework, address each of the area of husbandry sequentially.. , but also think of all the possible hypothetical situations/problems that might arise along the way (wrt to that particular aspect of husbandry) by imagining it happening to another fellow hobbyist ; and try to find answer to them. This way ull be armed with solutions to almost all the problems even before you own one..

sasker

Arachnoprince
@TarantulaArvind It is good to do thorough research before purchasing your first tarantula. But the basic care is not that hard. Not flipping over your tarantula when it is molting is really among the very first things one will learn if only a little bit of time is spend on some reading. Do not worry too much that you will not be ready for your first spider. If you have been reading on keeping them for more than a year and you follow AB a little, I doubt you will have much difficulties caring for a B. albopilosum or G. pulchripes.

Just go and have a look at one of the gazillion threads about 'good beginner species' on the board and take a pick. It is good to do some research, but you will miss out on a lot of rewarding experiences when you postpone your first purchase for too long.

Unless, of course, your really don't feel ready yet. Then forget what I said ;)

TarantulaArvind

Arachnopeon
@TarantulaArvind It is good to do thorough research before purchasing your first tarantula. But the basic care is not that hard. Not flipping over your tarantula when it is molting is really among the very first things one will learn if only a little bit of time is spend on some reading. Do not worry too much that you will not be ready for your first spider. If you have been reading on keeping them for more than a year and you follow AB a little, I doubt you will have much difficulties caring for a B. albopilosum or G. pulchripes.

Just go and have a look at one of the gazillion threads about 'good beginner species' on the board and take a pick. It is good to do some research, but you will miss out on a lot of rewarding experiences when you postpone your first purchase for too long.

Unless, of course, your really don't feel ready yet. Then forget what I said ;)
I'm presently in India. Here tarantulas are not sold as pets.. But I'll be moving abroad in a short while..

But thats not the thing.. once I move abroad also , I don't know whether I if I'll get a T immediately.. It's not that I just want to do only theoretical research on Ts. The thing is, owning a pet is more than jus a fun past time.. The responsibility for their life will be in my hands.. Although on one hand I feel like I've stuffed up tonnes of info in my brain, on the other I feel I haven't nearly run thru all the hypothetical situations yet, and would come short if a critical situation presented itself..

It's just that I feel ready, yet not feel ready(if that makes any sense!!):cold:...

sasker

Arachnoprince
Reading a ton on info is fun as well. I read lots about keeping animals that I eventually never kept (and never will). I would not recommend keeping a local Indian spider as a first T, either. I wish you success with your move abroad and with your decision to take a tarantula or not. Post a picture as soon as you have one, though :)

TarantulaArvind

Arachnopeon
Reading a ton on info is fun as well. I read lots about keeping animals that I eventually never kept (and never will). I would not recommend keeping a local Indian spider as a first T, either. I wish you success with your move abroad and with your decision to take a tarantula or not. Post a picture as soon as you have one, though :)
Definitely.. I'll be posting the pics as soon as I get my first T.. And thank u:)

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
My sling actually molted right side up once and I didn't know it was molting until I saw all these legs seemingly attached to it and then i realized it was indeed molting :cat:

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
On a side note, please do basic research when getting any animal, especially an uncommon one like a tarantula. I've heard of people dumping their molting Tarantulas because they thought if was dead :dead:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I've heard of people dumping their molting Tarantulas because they thought if was dead :dead:
Still a better story than the one I heard from someone who accidentally killed her molting tarantula because she thought it was being attacked by a second tarantula and tried to pull the "attacker" off.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Sometimes a tarantula (especially slings) molt without being on their backs. My B. albopilosum did this once, but it did not go too well as it lost a leg in the process. I think forcing it on its back now would only make the situation worse. Your tarantula will likely try again later (perhaps later this day or within the next few days). I think you learned your lesson, so no need to scold you any more for messing with a molting tarantula :D But please, for the sake of your spider and your own, read more about keeping spiders as @ledzeppelin said. Being a noob with little experience is not a crime, everybody had to start somewhere. But many mistakes can be avoided by taking the necessary time to gain knowledge from more experienced keepers.
This also happened to me, my B Smithi was standing on her hide and moulted just like that, once finished it looked like there were two T's in the enclosure, a lot more knowledge is needed by OP, everyone knows never ever touch a T that is on its back, you got lucky this time.......

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My C.versicolor molted upside down, but upside down hanging from the lid. Like mantids do. Weird spider. Good thing she had a molting mat spun under her, but still...:eek:

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
I think OP gets it, they made a mistake. No need to beat a dead horse. Everyone messes up once in awhile, no one is perfect. Jeez.

Glad the T seems to alright, OP. :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Still a better story than the one I heard from someone who accidentally killed her molting tarantula because she thought it was being attacked by a second tarantula and tried to pull the "attacker" off.
I have heard reference to this story more than once but have yet to find it.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have heard reference to this story more than once but have yet to find it.
It's not on Arachnoboards. I heard the story from someone who plays an online RPG with me. While chatting about my spiders, she told me that she had kept a pet tarantula once (wild-caught) and didn't understand that it had been molting.