ok i wanna buy a Centepede

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im completely new to the pede world but i went to buy this centepede the owner picked it up and it was dead, are centepedes hard to care for?all i know is that this centepede was black and about 4 inches long

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, this is just a guess but the pede was probably black because it was dead...or had been dead for a little while. I've seen that in a few pedes myself anyways.

In my experiance, centipedes aren't too difficult to care for. This can vary from sp. to sp. but once you get the routine down, it's not bad at all.

Was there a particular sp. you were interested in?

Atrax

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i heard that they are able to escape easily, is that true? B/c thats the only thing holding me back from expanding into this section of the hobby

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've always made sure that my container is several inches taller than my pede will be after it has the substrate in it and a very tight fitting lid.They can't really climb glass or smooth plastic, but they can raise upwards 2/3rds, maybe more, of their body length before they have to descend back down. But I find them trying to get out this way often... I also use a couple big rubberbands on either end of the enclosure just make sure if it does happen to reach the top it will have trouble getting under it. In some enclosures this probably isn't needed, it just makes me feel a bit better about it... :)

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
what is the ideal size of the tank for a cent? they are very exciting and exotic, i want one, but i dont want to wake up to one in my bed :eek:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I'd try to find one that is 2½ x as long as the centipede is, 2 x it length in width, and 1½ or 2 times as tall as the pedes length. Which the last measurement is for after you have the substrate in the enclosure...

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nope...I'd never put pede's together unless they are really young and just born together and don't show aggression to each other yet or if your trying to breed them.

Risto

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep 9in. S. subspinipes in 10gal. tanks, they seem to do fine in them. Just put something in for them to hide under and a couple inches of peat to dig alittle. Keep moist not wet.
Steve