Oh, no! Not again! (A. geniculata goes AWOL)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Some time ago, my juvenile A. genic made a break for it after I forgot to secure loose lid. I recovered him less than a foot from the enclosure so it was alright in the end.

Well, an intelligent person would have replaced the faulty enclosure, but I am not that bright.

So, last night I was noodling around on the computer when I heard something fall to the floor behind my back where the chest of drawers that I keep my small collectionis. I looked to see what the sound was and not noticing anything that looked like it needed my attention, went back to what I was doing, figuring I'd pick up whatever had fallen later.

Several hours later, I was ready to think about calling it a night and decided to feed the spiders and scorpions beforehand.
So I went over and glanced down at the floor and saw the genic's enclosure lid on the floor.

Now, the first time I considered the escape a lost cause, but located the spider fairly quickly. But that was when he was an unsexed juvenile. Now he is a mature male, and those guys wander. I poked around a bit, got a flashlight and searched some, but to be honest, this time I was prepared to write him off. It was only the idea of awakening to a strange bedfellow, and the potential threat of my dog becoming a rather large bolus that kept me looking. I finally gave up, though.

I walked into the adjoining living room, still kind of keeping an eye out, but at that point it was really just a formality. It was then I saw the wayward tarantula crawling up the side of the living room couch. I had a catch-cup handy, but it was a bit small for the job, so I hurriedly had to get another one, and after some wrangling, got the spider secured.

And THIS is why I'm very hesitant to keep any Old worlds. It also points out how strong a determined tarantula can be. The lid was loose, but still, the proportion of it vs the spider size and weight wise is not negligible.

I should probably consider keeping animals that I could be more aware if, like...I dunno...elephants, maybe? At least I could follow the dung trail, and it is usually easy to determine if an elephant is behind a bookcase.
Naturally, the spider is residing in the same set-up. You can't teach an old possum new tricks! ;)

Actually, I have a collection-wide rehouse planned soon, so I figured I'd just TRY to be more attentive. the genic's is the only enclosure I have an issue with, but I tend to forget that. :eek:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I think you need a larger enclosure & to find a breeder for that MM. I think that's the source of the problem.

One (1) brick upon the lid spanning the entire lid will also prevent escapes in the meantime.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
No local breeders and I don't even like preparing a normal package and going to the post-office. the genic is probably past his prime, I haven't seen a sperm-web made in quite a while. It isn't that I don't have weight on it for security, it's that I get distracted sometimes and forget to put it back on after maintenance.

To date, over the span of the years, I've had

Rat snake escape (twice)
Asian scorpion escape (twice, two different ones)
G. pulchripes escape
A. genic escape (twice)

Amazingly, all of those instances resulted in recaptures.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Definitely lucky :p He was like Maaannnn... this guy won't let me have a female... I'm just gonna have to get out of here and find one for myself :p

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Some time ago, my juvenile A. genic made a break for it after I forgot to secure loose lid. I recovered him less than a foot from the enclosure so it was alright in the end.

Well, an intelligent person would have replaced the faulty enclosure, but I am not that bright.

So, last night I was noodling around on the computer when I heard something fall to the floor behind my back where the chest of drawers that I keep my small collectionis. I looked to see what the sound was and not noticing anything that looked like it needed my attention, went back to what I was doing, figuring I'd pick up whatever had fallen later.

Several hours later, I was ready to think about calling it a night and decided to feed the spiders and scorpions beforehand.
So I went over and glanced down at the floor and saw the genic's enclosure lid on the floor.

Now, the first time I considered the escape a lost cause, but located the spider fairly quickly. But that was when he was an unsexed juvenile. Now he is a mature male, and those guys wander. I poked around a bit, got a flashlight and searched some, but to be honest, this time I was prepared to write him off. It was only the idea of awakening to a strange bedfellow, and the potential threat of my dog becoming a rather large bolus that kept me looking. I finally gave up, though.

I walked into the adjoining living room, still kind of keeping an eye out, but at that point it was really just a formality. It was then I saw the wayward tarantula crawling up the side of the living room couch. I had a catch-cup handy, but it was a bit small for the job, so I hurriedly had to get another one, and after some wrangling, got the spider secured.

And THIS is why I'm very hesitant to keep any Old worlds. It also points out how strong a determined tarantula can be. The lid was loose, but still, the proportion of it vs the spider size and weight wise is not negligible.

I should probably consider keeping animals that I could be more aware if, like...I dunno...elephants, maybe? At least I could follow the dung trail, and it is usually easy to determine if an elephant is behind a bookcase.
Naturally, the spider is residing in the same set-up. You can't teach an old possum new tricks! ;)

Actually, I have a collection-wide rehouse planned soon, so I figured I'd just TRY to be more attentive. the genic's is the only enclosure I have an issue with, but I tend to forget that. :eek:
I set heavy but not too heavy stufff on any lids that could be lifted off. And I build small sliding locks into plexiglass lids. Tho it cost a lot pecan lexan plexiglass is cheap at glass shops it’s like 5x the price at Home Depot.:cow:
Get a big lizard not hard to find or reptiles !!!
My Ts are in basement now I can’t risk escaping or extinction!!!!:pigeon:
I got a lid I gotta reglue soon tho .:beaver:
Get your T a seeing eye frog !!!
A happytnis a t you can’t see!!!!???!!

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
At least you're honest, I can respect. Though I think you are really just LAZY, because you know what the RIGHT thing is to do.

I should probably consider keeping animals that I could be more aware
No, you should keep plants ;)

a collection-wide rehouse planned soon,
Scary

so I figured I'd just TRY to be more attentive
All that adult content you are watching is a major distraction. Perhaps watch Disney at night.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Ol' Possum, compost happens! At least you found him.

It's funny how the mind immediately goes to that horror movie scenario of rolling over in bed and having your genic tell you to quit hogging all the covers!