Oh, for Pete's sake! When will it finally moult?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I got my H. sp blue peru on 9/11/17, when it was about 1/2".

The first picture I took 2 days after its arrival. I gave it a pre-killed cricket. Funny side note: It sat there with its toes on the cricket for several minutes and then, suddenly, it leapt at it, tackled it to the ground and enjoyed its victory over the dead cricket by munching happily away. That was the cutest thing I've ever seen. :astonished:

Only a few days later it seemingly went into pre-moult, stopped eating and became a bit sluggish (second pic).

When it hadn't moulted by 26/11/2017 I tried a piece of mealworm, which it readily took. A day later I took the third picture. That was the last time it fed.

In the fourth pic you can see how it looks today, and it's looking that way for about a week now. Also, it became quite skittish and flighty in these past few weeks, but never went into hiding. It actually hasn't used its hide since I got it.

Seriously, when will it finally moult? :confused: I'm running out of patience! :p

Jack moulting.jpg

Last edited:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Believe me, I know that. It's just so frustrating... I just want to see more of him/her! :p
Tarantulas can sense your frustration. They will wait very patiently as your frustration level slowly fills up, and when it eventually hits the max, only then they will satisfyingly begin their molting process.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Tarantulas can sense your frustration. They will wait very patiently as your frustration level slowly fills up, and eventually hits the max, only then they will satisfyingly begin their molting process.
That's true. My T.blondi was moving with 16 legs before she could take no more and flipped.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel

The first picture I took 2 days after its arrival. I gave it a pre-killed cricket. Funny side note: It sat there with its toes on the cricket for several minutes and then, suddenly, it leapt at it, tackled it to the ground and enjoyed its victory over the dead cricket by munching happily away. That was the cutest thing I've ever seen. :astonished:

Only a few days later it seemingly went into pre-moult, stopped eating and became a bit sluggish (second pic).

When it hadn't moulted by 26/11/2017 I tried a piece of mealworm, which it readily took. A day later I took the third picture. That was the last time it fed.

In the fourth pic you can see how it looks today, and it's looking that way for about a week now. Also, it became quite skittish and flighty in these past few weeks, but never went into hiding. It actually hasn't used its hide since I got it.

Seriously, when will it finally moult? :confused: I'm running out of patience! :p

View attachment 260001
It will molt when it wants to lol. But it's pretty close.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Tarantulas can sense your frustration. They will wait very patiently as your frustration level slowly fills up, and when it eventually hits the max, only then they will satisfyingly begin their molting process.
And that's not all of it. They're evil! :troll: Evil little buggers! :vamp:

Seriously, it had the whole weekend to finally do its thing, but noooooo... it started laying out its moulting mat right the moment I had to leave for work an hour ago. So, now I'm sitting here and can't do anything but hoping everything's gonna be fine. :rolleyes:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Seriously, it had the whole weekend to finally do its thing, but noooooo... it started laying out its moulting mat right the moment I had to leave for work an hour ago.
H. sp bluevil peru

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

View attachment 260001
Who's Pete?

basin79

ArachnoGod
a T. blondi molting- now that just sounds like a headache!!! given their size it is indeed a difficult process.
My lass is only a juvenile. Still, for a juvenile she's a decent sized tarantula already.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
It happens when it happens. I waited 5 months in a long premolt from an A genticulata. I feel your frustration, I've been there. We've all been there.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Thank you all. It's much appreciated, even when it doesn't help my anxiety/frustration/whatever one bit. :p

Although it started laying out its moulting mat over 12 hours ago, it hasn't moulted yet. I think it's now in the process of flipping (for the last 2 hours or so :rolleyes:). It surely takes its sweet time. :watchingyou:

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
My advice to you is to buy more slings! When I first started A couple months ago I had 1 B. hamorri sling. It ate a few times and then went into premoult, which seemed like forever. So I bought a couple more different slings and now even when some of them are in premoult I always some to feed to keep busy.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Yes, our tarantulas definitely know how to test our patience at times. Lol. Almost every one of mine is in premolt right now.

Guess which two are my only visible Ts atm? The good ol' trusty Grammostola porteri. ;) They may catch a lot of slack as a species, but at least mine are giving me something to look at. :smug:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
My little Jack is finally moulting right now. I can't really see how he's doing, because I put him in quieter and darker place, and I don't want to bother him with the torch too much. I just hope he'll be fine. :) I make sure to post a picture, when he's done ( I say "he" because until I know which sex it is, every unsexed T is a "he" for me. I guess that way I won't be too disappointed, if it's actually a male :p).

Oh, and I do have other Ts. But the only one always out and about is my E. sp red sling (1"). My two sub-adult females (a B. hamorii and a D. diamantinesis) are always playing hide and seek with me, and my B. albo juvie buried himself in as soon as I got him (coming up to 3 weeks now :rolleyes:).

It's not an easy life for a T keeper, is it? o_O

ETHER

Arachnopeon
more like, let it hit the max and then molt while your at work hahaha