Official H arizonensis thread

deserthairy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just how bad do Hadrurus hate moisture? I read that they follow the moisture line when burrowing, read along time ago that drops of moisture could be found in their burrows, "often deep underground---where the moisture is higher", and most in the wild have mycosis. So is mycosis just part of being a wild Arizonensis, and they really would prefer higher humidity?

Still learning all I can, to get this sub-adult through it's next molt (spadix), and to me it seems they would need a moisture variation, of sorts. Hear that they can handle higher humidity than an arizonensis, wonder if there is any truth to that, too.

Edit: keep seeing they prefer moisture when seaching just this morning.

"As with all of my Haddies, the male left his burrow on the dry side of the enclosure and quickly excavated a burrow in the saturated soil and within the hour was resting contentedly in his terminal chamber with 1-2 mm of warm water covering the floor. This was around 9:30 AM EST and he's still in their relaxing. After this side (actually, the substrate along the front forward-facing enclosure wall) completely dries, I'll saturate another area and he (like the rest) will abandon his dry burrow and excavate a new one in the saturated substrate. They've been doing this for a bit over a year - no cases of mycoidal infections, no adverse reactions to wet substrate (%RH 55-65 with unrestricted airflow - no lids) and they're all doing great! "

I have to figure that if it wants more moisture, it will go to it, and if not, it has enough range to be in dry/low humidity. So as far as I'm concerned, it's all up to it, regardless.

Last edited:

tryme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just to get this thread going again...could you guys give a rough estimate of how deep YOUR hairys burrow:)

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
While we're bumping this thread...

I've seen a lot of individual wild caught specimens pass through my LPS. More often than not I can see small black dots on the scorp which to my inexperienced eyes looks like mycosis. I've seen it on all areas of the scorps, including, but not limited to, around joints. I can't quote my source but I'm sure I've read that it's quite common in WC specimens.

Is it reasonable to say that mild mycosis, while unsightly, is not a threat to the scorps overall well being?

tryme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lucky for me my hairy is WC but no black dots which is a good sign i guess.

Gracilis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
this is my set up at the moment... during the night she likes to chill out in the skull... this morning she crawled out the eye socket... looked pretty awesome...
the temp was just under 80.. and that was in the evening when i took these...
i got the skull at a pet store.. (no its not real)

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks for the post pandinus, im thinking of getting another species of scorpion, one that i can just have in my room and not worry about misting and daily maintanence. i have a tarantula that i just toss some crickets adn water and its perfectly happy. is desert hairy a good choice?

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thanks for the post pandinus, im thinking of getting another species of scorpion, one that i can just have in my room and not worry about misting and daily maintanence. i have a tarantula that i just toss some crickets adn water and its perfectly happy. is desert hairy a good choice?
Hadrurus arizonensis is a GREAT choice.

David

Gracilis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think im gonna try to pack that sand down....... i noticed she has been burrowing but since the sand is loose it wont hold...

tryme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
great pics your scorp is one big mumma! lol

desert hairy was my first scorp and never looked back. I think if people choose emps then they always want something a lil "cooler" so in a way your just jumping that emp stage :) not that they aren't great scorps!

Gracilis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ah yeah! i love Arizona hairys, its not just wanting a "cool" scorpion.. i really enjoy the way they look.. to most collectors its simple and plenty but its the basics that always satisfy me :eek:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have a question for you guys. ok im getting some baby dessert hairies, and i have heard they often have molting problems. any one have any tips on how to raise some from babies? or should i just mist one corner of the tank to be safe....and yes i know they like it dry! but only for molting/survival purposes

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have a question for you guys. ok im getting some baby dessert hairies, and i have heard they often have molting problems. any one have any tips on how to raise some from babies? or should i just mist one corner of the tank to be safe....and yes i know they like it dry! but only for molting/survival purposes
itsoften been recomended to offer several hides, and mist lightly under one to provide isolated humidity. make sure you have very good ventilation BTW so that the air is not stagnant and moist, just the single patch of substrate. i have yet to see a specimen of this species CB or WC as an adult that did not have mycosis

John

Unfamiliar

Arachnopeon
I thought my baby HA was preparing to moult so I put in a single sprig of damp moss under a piece of wood, seemed to like it but never moulted, needs changing all the time though.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if you want a thread to be a sticky, PM a moderator and suggest it. they are too busy to skim through each thread to see if someone wants to make it a sticky. you can post in a thread that you think it should be a sticky a hundred times and it wont do anything.

John