Odd millipede behavior

Elias Harper

Arachnopeon
I recently ordered millipedes from bugsincyberspace and through an error, had to be provided with a millipede that got missed in the order. The N. Americanus arrived and seemed to have no control over its legs. It would uncurl, flail around a little, and then recurl. When I gently uncurled it and examined its underside, its legs had no movement. It just curled itself up again. I've had it in a separate habitat since thursday and nothing has changed. It still moves, but remains the same. No food has been consumed. At this point, I expect it to die soon, but have no idea why.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Has it dug down at all? It hasn't tried to move other than the movement you described above?

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
"At this point, I expect it to die soon, but have no idea why."

---- Have you contacted your seller re what's going on with this specimen? If so what did they say?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I don't know this but it is what I have seen with my millipedes. It seems millipedes legs go into a state of palsy before they molt. In the times I have interrupted a molt, I see this. A few times they have gone ahead with the molt and are then OK. But usually it seems like they can't pull through it. I think it takes too much energy to deal with the interruption. Just my observation.