1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Millipede Behavior

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by ghostlycorvid, Aug 12, 2017.

1. ghostlycorvid

ghostlycorvid Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Twice now I've noticed both my O. ornatus and my Florida ivory exploring their tanks and poking around the walls, leaving little clear wet spots on the glass. The moisture is coming from their mouths in every instance, and each time I notice it they haven't recently been moved or jostled and seem otherwise calm so it doesn't seem like it would be a defensive behavior. None of my millipedes have yet to release any defensive secretions on me while I've been handling them, so I could be totally wrong because I've never seen it happen.

Does anyone know they have any sort of response to excess moisture? I know conditions had been way too wet with not enough ventilation in my O. ornatus' previous tank when I first noticed the behavior, but her new tank is much more ventilated and not anywhere near as wet. The sub is pretty dry on the top 1-2in under the oak leaves but the bottom 4in is a bit moist, and I've never caught her burrowed, she's always on the surface. I mist one edge of the tank daily to keep humidity up and just have a screen top lid.

2. mickiem

mickiem Arachnodemon Active Member

SW Ohio
    I've never seen that in my own millipedes, sorry. It sounds like your enclosure might be a bit dry. Will be interesting to see what others think.

3. Marika

Marika Arachnoknight Active Member

Finland
    I've seen that a couple of times, with A. gigas and C. giganteus I think. Don't know why they do it though.

4. 7Fin

7Fin Arachnosquire Active Member

I see this post, and say "What a strange thing to happen!". A few minutes later I look at my Centrobolus enclosure, and my big female presses her face up to the glass, and (you guessed it) spits some liquid on the surface. Weird.

5. TarantulaBella

TarantulaBella Arachnopeon

I've seen this before too, usually after misting.