Odd Hisser Behavior

Roachesintheivy

Arachnopeon
One of my hissers has started acting pretty strange.

My female that ended up being pregnant- named Crabmeat -has been hanging out at the highest point in the enclosure (on top of the driftwood) for several days. I didn't think much of it at first, because hissers are always full of surprises. Her his has also been particularly weak and squeaky. But then, today, I caught her doing... something. She was opening and closing her back end in a bit of a pulsing manner. She couldn't have been trying to push out an Ootheca, because she had babies far too recently, but I still didn't think much of it.

Tonight, the behavior has gotten concerning. She finally ventured down from her driftwood, but she's lethargic, and resting in a spot she never normally would rest, beside the food bowl. I picked her up, and another thing I noticed was that she was "walking on her ankles" while her tarsi still appeared perfectly fine.

I know that usually, behavior like this would warrant an immediate ticket to roach heaven. She's not that old and doesn't even appear to be fully grown (she's about 2"). One possible cause is that the driftwood once had some mold in the top area, but I got that taken care of.

Another something to note is a strange hisser death about a little more than a month ago. It was also a female. She, named Screech, would sit in the corner of the tank continually hissing at nothing, and appearing to try and dig into the substrate somewhat unsuccessfully. Her hiss was also strange and weak. I later found her nearly dead on her back having tried and failed to climb the driftwood. I put her in an icu where she would continually flip herself over trying to climb, and seemed to only really be in control of half of her legs. Her tarsi were perfectly intact, but she would also exhibit the behavior of walking on her ankles. She got weaker and weaker, and I decided to freeze her. She was also a young roach, roughly 2"

Has anyone else seen strange behavior like this? Are there any known causes? I've searched and searched, but I can't find anything like this. And feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Remy004

Arachnopeon
She was opening and closing her back end in a bit of a pulsing manner. She couldn't have been trying to push out an Ootheca, because she had babies far too recently, but I still didn't think much of it.
How long did this behavior last, and how long has it been since she last gave birth? That behavior sounds similar to what I've observed in my females prior and during to them "airing out" their oothecae, but it sounds like that is not the case here. However, in two of the three adult females I've lost in the past year (who are currently stinking up my room after a failed attempt to dry them as specimens), their "back ends" were slightly agape when I found them. I'm not entirely sure why, though I believe the most recent was having difficulties in her pregnancy...It does make me nervous whenever I see a hisser or dubia who is presenting like that, though.

She's not that old and doesn't even appear to be fully grown (she's about 2").
About how old is she? While 2 inches is small for a mature hisser, it is not unheard of. I had a male who maxed out at around 2.5 inches and who was absolutely DWARFED by his girlfriends. I'm not sure how old he was at the end. I had him for about 4-5 months before he started declining...

I'm sorry for what's been happening. Hopefully, Crabmeat will recover. :(

Roachesintheivy

Arachnopeon
How long did this behavior last, and how long has it been since she last gave birth? That behavior sounds similar to what I've observed in my females prior and during to them "airing out" their oothecae, but it sounds like that is not the case here. However, in two of the three adult females I've lost in the past year (who are currently stinking up my room after a failed attempt to dry them as specimens), their "back ends" were slightly agape when I found them. I'm not entirely sure why, though I believe the most recent was having difficulties in her pregnancy...It does make me nervous whenever I see a hisser or dubia who is presenting like that, though.

About how old is she? While 2 inches is small for a mature hisser, it is not unheard of. I had a male who maxed out at around 2.5 inches and who was absolutely DWARFED by his girlfriends. I'm not sure how old he was at the end. I had him for about 4-5 months before he started declining...

I'm sorry for what's been happening. Hopefully, Crabmeat will recover. :(
She gave birth roughly a few weeks ago, I believe, and I'm actually not entirely sure how old she is as I got the roaches in early june. The "opening up" behavior lasted I'd say... at least 10 minutes, but I didn't watch for long.

One thing I should note is that she's a giant hisser. A wide horn hisser, also known as Gromphadorhina oblongonota. I feel like she should be bigger than just 2" given her species, but you never know, I guess.