1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

User Ocean's Tarantula Pictures

Discussion in 'Tarantula Pictures' started by Ocean74, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Ocean74

Ocean74 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I just transferred her into her new cage a few days ago and she’s out and about. Wanted to get a good picture of her before she molts and webs the whole thing. It’s been a while since i’ve posted. She’s going on a year and 2 months at 2.5 inches.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. xzpat

xzpat Arachnopeon

what sp is this?

3. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Caribena versicolor. (I changed the title to make it a user thread.)

• Like Like x 1
  4. xzpat

xzpat Arachnopeon

thought it was some avic :)

5. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnobaron Active Member

It used to be Avicularia versicolor, but was moved to the new genus Caribena in 2017. Avicularia, Ybyrapora, Caribena, Antillena, and Iridopelma are closely related genera.

6. Ocean74

Ocean74 Arachnopeon

Yes, it’s a Caribena versicolor. I didn’t realize that there was no title after the repost. As an update, she ate 2 days ago...so maybe she won’t be molting. Bummer...Question, she seems to be fairly aggressive attacking anything that kinda comes near it. I’m definitely not going to be handling her (really didn’t plan to from the start). Anyone else have this experience?

7. Ungoliant

That's a feeding response, one of the joys of tarantula keeping. :happy:

8. Ocean74

Ocean74 Arachnopeon

Thanks Ungoliant! She is my first, probably not my last. I’m prone to arboreals. Here’s a full photo of her new enclosure with her steadily making new tunnels. Always great to see.

Attached Files:

9. Ungoliant

If you fill the top half with leafy clutter, she will appreciate that as cover and/or anchor points for webbing.

10. Ocean74

Ocean74 Arachnopeon

Yeah...I’ll be getting some fake plants soon. Have you or anyone ever used air plants in their setup? Some have some great color and I figure a plant that I don’t really need to water would be great.

11. Ocean74

Ocean74 Arachnopeon

Drinking water
    2D577C68-EF82-45FF-927B-0789A3A3A246.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ungoliant

I've only used fake plants.

Generally the conditions that are good for plants are not so great for tarantulas, and tarantulas have their own ideas about decor, so for new keepers, it's normally recommended to use fake plants.