Obt?

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've been reading the boards for a little while now and I keep seeing the term OBT. What does that stand for? I tried the search function but it was no help

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
or... "Orange Bitey Thing"

This should really be in big letters across the top of the forum. That, or have a "find out what OBT means" button on the search page. :rolleyes:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think its for orange baboon tarantula, but most people go with "orange bitey thing"

SpiderDork

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OBT is an acronym for Orange Bitey Thing a nickname that has been bestowed on th P. murinus (Usambar Baboon). They are renown for their quickness and defensive natures.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
becca81 said:
or... "Orange Bitey Thing"

This should really be in big letters across the top of the forum. That, or have a "find out what OBT means" button on the search page. :rolleyes:
That or people just start calling them by their correct name.

Gary

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
BileDrunk said:
That or people just start calling them by their correct name.
As my dad always said, "Wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one gets full first." ;)

In general I am complete agreement, but even I find myself typing OBT out of laziness sometimes.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
As my dad always said, "Wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one gets full first." ;)
It sometimes stands for "orange baboon tarantula"? I'd always thought it was an "orange bitey thing" exclusive acronym, maybe because "orange baboon tarantula" is such a bad common name.

Funny you should mention that particular bit of fatherly wisdom. I'd never heard it until my old boss said it. I could only stare in bewilderment as I tried to figure out what it could possibly mean. I eventually got it, but it's never really clicked for me, which is one reason I like using it in conversation. I don't really pay any attention to whether or not it makes sense in context, which has the fun side effect of causing OTHER people to look bewildered. It's sort of like a more satisfying version of the "random acts of kindness" thing. You can't keep it if you don't give it away. ;)

Steve

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
defour said:
It sometimes stands for "orange baboon tarantula"? I'd always thought it was an "orange bitey thing" exclusive acronym, maybe because "orange baboon tarantula" is such a bad common name.
Steve
I don't have any saved emails or correspondence to back up my 'older' memory, but if I am remembering correctly OBT originated from an early 1998/99 email list or from discussions on Doug's Bulletin Board. It meant "orange bitey thing" at that time. This was prior to this forum, the ATS yahoo group, Spidertalk,Petbugs, etc. Mark Kent, Mike "Troll" Dame, and numerous others I can't remember were active at that time. John

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
tarantulakeeper said:
I don't have any saved emails or correspondence to back up my 'older' memory, but if I am remembering correctly OBT originated from an early 1998/99 email list or from discussions on Doug's Bulletin Board. It meant "orange bitey thing" at that time. This was prior to this forum, the ATS yahoo group, Spidertalk,Petbugs, etc. Mark Kent, Mike "Troll" Dame, and numerous others I can't remember were active at that time. John
Orange Bitey Thing is the original as best I know as well. What is more interesting is why it overtook Pterror for the bastardised common name for the Usambara. I remember that Pterrors used to be the most frequently used "common name" and then all of a sudden somebody realised Orange Bitey Thing was more attractive. It's one of those knowledge as virus type things that fascinate me.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Funny Orange bastard tarantula always came to thought :p I suppose orange bitey thing works as well but I do prefer P. murinus

caligulathegod

Arachnodeity
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
Orange Bitey Thing is the original as best I know as well. What is more interesting is why it overtook Pterror for the bastardised common name for the Usambara. I remember that Pterrors used to be the most frequently used "common name" and then all of a sudden somebody realised Orange Bitey Thing was more attractive. It's one of those knowledge as virus type things that fascinate me.
Just for S&G's, I did a search to find the earliest use of the term "Orange Bitey Thing" on this site (back to 2002) and guess who came up? ;)

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=9058&highlight=orange+bitey+thing#post9058

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=9575&highlight=orange+bitey+thing#post9575

Now, it might have been used before on an earlier version of the site, and I couldn't search "OBT", but I thought it was kind of funny.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
caligulathegod said:
Just for S&G's, I did a search to find the earliest use of the term "Orange Bitey Thing" on this site (back to 2002) and guess who came up? ;)
Not that I wouldn't want credit for something that became so wide spread, but I can't take credit for something that I was just parrotting myself.

rgfx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think pterror is a MUCH better common name than OBT.

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a little history..

Code Monkey said:
Not that I wouldn't want credit for something that became so wide spread, but I can't take credit for something that I was just parrotting myself.

In February, 2001, Jay Stotzky merged two yahoo groups, Arachnids and Strictly_tarantulas, into arachnid_world. The first reference I found using the search feature for "orange bitey thing" was Mark Kent's messasge 3977.

This was posted on May 26, 2001.
<<em how about an orange bitey thing (pt species)much more exciting
than an acic first thing in a morning when you are half asleep or
still half cut (drunk).
bye mark

I think the term had been thrown around for a while on the other two lists. The archived messages from the two merged groups are no longer available. John

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
rgfx said:
I think pterror is a MUCH better common name than OBT.
OBT is easier to type and spell (heh) has been my best guess for why Pterror was superceded.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
However, I think we CAN credit the King of Kicking Nads to it's use here on AB ;)

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
OBT is easier to type and spell (heh) has been my best guess for why Pterror was superceded.
Plus, you can use it in spoken conversation, avoiding the confusion of the presumably silent 'P'. Incidentally, I used one of those in 'presumably', just in case anyone is reading this to their cat. 'Terror' is a pain to say anyway. Something about those double r's irrrrritates me.

Steve