OBT trouble

brezo

Arachnosquire
Hello guys! Since i got my m. balfouri and my p. murinus they are not eating well. Balfouri is eating altho i dont see him, but my obt stoped eating after a while, and his tiny behind is even skinier than before, and he goes into a death curl soon as he stops moving. I placed him in an ICU, since it didnt had any water except one misting a week. I hope its just dehidration. In what conditions u keep your OBT guys? i kept mine bone dry, with literally one spray every week.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 08:08 PM ----------

I have problems for eating with only this 2 species. Other spiders are doing well and respond to crickets.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Does he have water dish? Maybe he dehydrated so that was reason for his odd behavior.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I keep mine dry with a water dish and i mist the webbing now and again for an extra drinking source. They tend to web over their water dishes so I just pour water in and let it go wherever. I have kept them like this for about 2 years with no issues.

Arachninja

Arachnopeon
Have you tried various food items. Wax worms seem to fatten up a T nicely, mealworms are not bad either but tend to burrow if the head is not removed, and B. dubia are super easy to breed and care for and make an excellent choice as they vary in size for all your various size T's.

brezo

Arachnosquire
Nope he doesent have, since hes 1.5 cm, and he feels cozy enough only when he is in his vial, anything larger and he wont even touch cricket. And i cant place a water tap inside it since the vial is so small. Same for my m. balfouri. But hes ok, OBT eats half of cricket and he leaves the rest, balfouri eats all, mini cricket ball left at the entrance to his burrow.

Hes currently in ICU so if its dehydration it should sort him up if its not to late.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 08:24 PM ----------

I have crickets as feeders, I dont know why they would be good for all spiders, and not for OBT. I am kinda scared of dubias, if i accidentally knock the dubia farm container over. Crickets are native to this lands and are in the wild, so i dont worry too much if one or 2 escape. :)

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Nope he doesent have, since hes 1.5 cm, and he feels cozy enough only when he is in his vial, anything larger and he wont even touch cricket. And i cant place a water tap inside it since the vial is so small. Same for my m. balfouri. But hes ok, OBT eats half of cricket and he leaves the rest, balfouri eats all, mini cricket ball left at the entrance to his burrow.

Hes currently in ICU so if its dehydration it should sort him up if its not to late.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 08:24 PM ----------

I have crickets as feeders, I dont know why they would be good for all spiders, and not for OBT. I am kinda scared of dubias, if i accidentally knock the dubia farm container over. Crickets are native to this lands and are in the wild, so i dont worry too much if one or 2 escape. :)
hey there neighbour! Don't worry about dubias, even if they run wild this climate is not suitable for them, in winter months they will die of cold weather, they can't even do anything inside the house, as they cant climb up flat surfaces and take food from us. They simply starve to death, or die from cold :)

brezo

Arachnosquire
Hello there :)

Ah i see. But dubias are so much larger than crickets, and i have 1 adult spider, one sub adult and the rest of them are slings. 9 or so. Are they suitable for slings also?

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Hello there :)

Ah i see. But dubias are so much larger than crickets, and i have 1 adult spider, one sub adult and the rest of them are slings. 9 or so. Are they suitable for slings also?
yes, baby dubias are only 5mm, while adults are up to 4 cm, so you can feed anything with them, from incei slings to adult theraphosas

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I keep mine dry, pics would help, but I wondering the vial you had him in before the ICU. could he move around in it comfortably or was he cramped in their?

brezo

Arachnosquire
The vial was 1,5 of spiders lenght wide and 3 spiders length high, and he made himself some webbing in it.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 10:48 PM ----------

I think the ICU saved the day. I would say i see a slight improvement in his/hers movements, and not so much of a death curl thing when he stops walking. :D yey

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
since my obt has been 1.5" or so it has been kept absolutely bone dry with weekly/ sometimes bi weekly watering.

When small, i would mist the sides of its enclosure allowing it to drip onto the sub a bit..
now that its an adult, i just directly pour about a 1/4 of a shotglass worth of water directly onto a piece of webbed over slate rock thats covering her burrow.
Sometimes she comes to drink. Sometimes she doesnt.

Never had a dehydration problem.

brezo

Arachnosquire
Well good for u :)

I just hope my brains dont mess with me with saying that i see improvement because i wish so much to see improvement. And talking about m. balfouri, the dude fooled me with not eating, hes just molting right now. :) lets hope for the best for the OBT sling.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
theyre pretty much bulletproof. Hope things take a turn for the better with it.
Grats on the balfouri molt.

brezo

Arachnosquire
Thanks! I guess it was good that i put him in ICU it seems really better. More responsive than yesterday for sure!