Obt sling...

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
What @Andrea82 is referring to is the lack of ‘cross ventilation’, which is having holes on all sides of the enclosure
Yes I know that, but it’s gonna be kept dry so cross ventilation is not really necessary and it’s glass anyway so what can I do ya know lol

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It’s an obt... There are more than enough holes in the top. I appreciate the concern but u must also consider that we will not do things the same way
It helps if you tag me when replying to my comment.
'it's an OBT' is not really a valid reason to only have ventilation in the top. Although slings need a little bit of moisture, this species likes it dry. One spill pf a waterdish and the conditions get too wet in there without cross ventilation. Why not house it in a delicup?

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
My apo
'it's an OBT' is not really a valid reason to only have ventilation in the top. Although slings need a little bit of moisture, this species likes it dry. One spill pf a waterdish and the conditions get too wet in there without cross ventilation. Why not house it in a delicup?
my apologies, but I was under the impression that cross ventilation was for species that moisture would be a factor but in this case it’s not and I’m not going to give it a water dish and because the one I originally had for it the holes were too big (I provided cross ventilation) and I know that sounds kind of contradictory after what I just said lol but when it’s available I mean why not, but in this case it’s not so I have a lot of ventilation at the top.

Also
You are waaaaaay overthinking this and stressing the spider out by being overworrisome and bothering it so much. You don't need to hide it away somewhere... just stop messing with it. For days. Several of them.

Also, I don't know why you thought moving a T while it was eating was a good idea... but it's not. As you discovered, they'll almost always abandon their food from the stress of messed with... their fangs are their defense, so they'll free them up.
forgot to add that I’m pretty sure it was done eating and most likely was a bolus because it was eating when I got it which was about 9 hours prior to the rehousing

Last edited by a moderator:

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Thx

I skimmed over it quickly and I do as venom ( I think that’s his name I don’t remember lol) but that is not only provide cross ventilation but ventilation at the top if it is available but what I’m getting at is in this case it is not available since it’s in a glass jar that’s all..

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How can a glass mason jar have plenty of ventilation? Holes just in the lid don't add up to 'plenty ventilation' for me.
I have raised all my Pterinochilus large slings/small juvies in glass Mason jars (dozens of them)... including the 26 P. murinus I currently have.

Deli cups are such a huge pain in the butt to keep some Ts in. I tried them with this group of P. murinus and it was a nightmare.

Also

forgot to add that I’m pretty sure it was done eating and most likely was a bolus because it was eating when I got it which was about 9 hours prior to the rehousing
If it was still holding it, it wasn't done. I have had Ts take their sweet time eating.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
I have raised all my Pterinochilus large slings/small juvies in glass Mason jars (dozens of them)... including the 26 P. murinus I currently have.

Deli cups are such a huge pain in the butt to keep some Ts in. I tried them with this group of P. murinus and it was a nightmare.

If it was still holding it, it wasn't done. I have had Ts take their sweet time eating.
it was eating for a long time then lol, thanks for all your tips you've helped a lot :) and i guess i was overreacting a bit lol the little guy picked a spot he likes and he's just chilling :D never had a sling this small so i was worried.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
it was eating for a long time then lol, thanks for all your tips you've helped a lot :) and i guess i was overreacting a bit lol the little guy picked a spot he likes and he's just chilling :D never had a sling this small so i was worried.
You're welcome :) Having a tiny sling for the first time can be worrisome, but you'll adjust to it. And then get more! Lol

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

Not criticism but curiosity; why were delicups such a disaster?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not criticism but curiosity; why were delicups such a disaster?
I just really dislike them lol By "disaster" I just meant it was me being frustrated by them every time I'd go to do maintenance... having to pry open just a little corner to add water or food, closing that bit and prying open another little part if I needed to spot clean, etc. It just was hugely inefficient with so many.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I just really dislike them lol By "disaster" I just meant it was me being frustrated by them every time I'd go to do maintenance... having to pry open just a little corner to add water or food, closing that bit and prying open another little part if I needed to spot clean, etc. It just was hugely inefficient with so many.
I have noticed that the lid used makes a Huge difference. I have one that is a pai to open a some others that are a breeze and do exactly what i want. Granted i don't actually use very many deli cups...

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have noticed that the lid used makes a Huge difference. I have one that is a pai to open a some others that are a breeze and do exactly what i want. Granted i don't actually use very many deli cups...
Exactly! And I found that opening the lids spooked quite a few of my flightier P. murinus slings. I still have some other slings in deli cups, but it isn't ideal.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OBTs are incredibly hardy. I feel if someone kills an OBT, they should own a pet rock as next pet.