Obt sling...

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Hey all, newbie ow owner here, i got my .5 obt sling yesterday and rehoused it into a bigger enclosure than his deli cup he came in. Realized the holes were too big so rehoused it again in a mason jar and he immediately started webbing (same as he did in the first enclosure which i know is normal so i thought great!) and then got on his leaf in a stress curl for about an hour :depressed: (this was about 3 am) i check on him about every hour until about 5 am, after that he has come out of the stress curl but still on his leaf so i figured he's fine. I go to sleep. wake back up at 10 am, check on him again he has now moved from on his leaf to behind it and more webbing around him ( good i said to myself) so i go to sleep again lmao. just woke up, went to check him and he's in the same spot, i open the lid and he runs to a corner of the leaf and stress curls. No husbandry mistakes either. I'm also sure i could be paranoid lol is it just a waiting game with these guys or whato_O
thx all! Also forgot to mention that when i first rehoused him he was still eating his cricket that he had in his deli cup ( i got him at about 5 pm and he was still eating part of it around 3 am lol) so i thought this would be a good time to rehouse while he's still eating. So i did but he dropped the cricket and was a little calm but then a little while after i rehoused him he started making little food/water bubbles (that i know they can do to save up food/water for desperate needs or whatever) long story short i also added a few drops of water so i know it can't be the husbandry. I'll take a pic when my phone charges, thanks again and sorry about the paragraphs lol :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Minty

@londontarantulas
The best thing for you to do is leave it alone for a day or two. It needs time to settle into its new environment. If you keep disturbing it, it won't get the chance to do that.

I understand that a new tarantula is exciting and you want to look at it a lot, but try to do so through the enclosure, without moving it or removing the lid. It only thinks of you as a predator that wants to eat it. You need to let it be.

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Probably just needs more time to adjust, I know they say rehousing is stressful and the t needs time to learn their new surroundings, but that's just an opinion.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Pictures would still be nice. OBTs can be rather flighty. It probably just needs some time is all. Mine runs away to it's hide every time I even breathe in the vicinity of it.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
The best thing for you to do is leave it alone for a day or two. It needs time to settle into its new environment. If you keep disturbing it, it won't get the chance to do that.
^x2

One thing I always do is whenever I get a new sling, I'll rehouse it ASAP and put it in a 'dark' area of my room so it's able to settle in a bit faster.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire

I understand that a new tarantula is exciting and you want to look at it a lot, but try to do so through the enclosure, without moving it or removing the lid. It only thinks of you as a predator that wants to eat it. You need to let it be.
alright will do captain, and i wouldn't move the enclosure to check on it i'd just shine my flashlight from my phone a bit to see

^x2

One thing I always do is whenever I get a new sling, I'll rehouse it ASAP and put it in a 'dark' area of my room so it's able to settle in a bit faster.
yea i figured that, so my lamp was off all day

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
yea i figured that, so my lamp was off all day
One thing I forgot to add is that I'll leave it in a dark area for around two days or so and I'll periodically check on them to make sure everything all right.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
alright will do captain, and i wouldn't move the enclosure to check on it i'd just shine my flashlight from my phone a bit to see
. But the main reason i was worried was because i kind of expected it to explore it's home a bit more over this period of time is all.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Pictures would still be nice. OBTs can be rather flighty. It probably just needs some time is all. Mine runs away to it's hide every time I even breathe in the vicinity of it.
yea i'll post some when my phone charges up

If you use a red light it is better my tarantulas don't freak out as much as a regular light.
thanks, i'll try it

One thing I forgot to add is that I'll leave it in a dark area for around two days or so and I'll periodically check on them to make sure everything all right.
all right i'll do that and will update again thurday :)

maybe i'll even put a towel over it cus my tv is big and the bright light travels

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Exactly don’t bother it it’s easy to lose a obt sling by bothering it they are known to bolt . My only sling loss ever was a escaping obt during rehouse. Still sad about it:grumpy: would like more tho someday. Much better with old. Worlds now then 11 years ago.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
There will come a time that you won't see your little friend under its webs, no need to fuzz as they really love having privacy. I only see my OBT slings on feeding time or sometimes the tip of their feet just outside the web hole. I only knew the other one molted when it threw its molt just outside the hole.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Exactly don’t bother it it’s easy to lose a obt sling by bothering it they are known to bolt . My only sling loss ever was a escaping obt during rehouse. Still sad about it:grumpy: would like more tho someday. Much better with old. Worlds now then 11 years ago.
sir yes sir. but i'm very cautious and do all rehouses in the bathtub. i have a t gigas so im used to speed lol

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I hate to sound rude, but i would never assume that i couldn't have made a mistake...

I would strongly recomend posting pics, make any necessary adjustments, and then leave the little guy/gal alone for a while.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
I hate to sound rude, but i would never assume that i couldn't have made a mistake...

I would strongly recomend posting pics, make any necessary adjustments, and then leave the little guy/gal alone for a while.
no it's fine lol im not easily offended and that's what these things are for :) im very open to opinions, i ended up putting it in the closet like it was recommended and have convinced myself that i will not bother it until thursday so i'll update then :) but i have it in a small glass mason jar, plenty of ventilation, a very big leaf that it has already webbed up a bit and watered the substrate just a bit ( i mean a bit lol) and a little on the plastic leaf just incase it didn't get to the dirt in time. But after hearing everyone's thoughts im sure it's fine because it ate a cricket and was acting like it's normal little obt self when i rehoused it :)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You are waaaaaay overthinking this and stressing the spider out by being overworrisome and bothering it so much. You don't need to hide it away somewhere... just stop messing with it. For days. Several of them.

Also, I don't know why you thought moving a T while it was eating was a good idea... but it's not. As you discovered, they'll almost always abandon their food from the stress of messed with... their fangs are their defense, so they'll free them up.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
sir yes sir and duly noted, i haven't seen it since the post and i'll check on it friday and update ya :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
How can a glass mason jar have plenty of ventilation? Holes just in the lid don't add up to 'plenty ventilation' for me.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
It’s an obt... There are more than enough holes in the top. I appreciate the concern but u must also consider that we will not do things the same way