1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OBT sling on lid

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Alora, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Alora

Alora Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I just got an OBT sling, about .5”, and it has made its web on the rim of the lid of a jello/deli cup. Is there a way I would be able to open the lid to feed it without disturbing it or letting it escape?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. sdsnybny

sdsnybny Arachnogeek Arachnosupporter

Your cup appears to have no ventilation and or the sub is to wet. This genus likes it dry for the most part. For a sling I would only put a few drops on the side of cup when feeding and the rest would be all dry. Also a taller cup will work fine with giving you more room if it tries to bolt and the T a place to burrow/web. add a few dead leaves or fake ones for it to web to.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Alora

Alora Arachnopeon

I have holes for ventilation on the lid and there’s a few small ones on the side. The substrate does seem like it’s a little damp still, so that might be the problem. It was burrowing when I first got her, but has moved to the top after a day and decided to stay there since.

4. Alora

Alora Arachnopeon

I will try upgrading to a taller cup though, thank you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sdsnybny

I see condensation in the pic so it seemed a bit to wet going by that

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Alora

Alora Arachnopeon

Is there a way to let the substrate dry out faster without taking the sling out?

7. sdsnybny

you could take a second/spare lid and put a bunch of hole in it to help, but you still have to open the enclosure to change it out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Alora

Alora Arachnopeon

Okay, thank you!

9. ExcelTruth

ExcelTruth Arachnopeon

I have the same problem but my substrate already dry and my obt already make his web at the lid, i dont know how to feed him? My OBT size 2", pls help me.

10. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnoknight Active Member

You must have access to the enclosure for feeding and maintenance. Try to open the lid with minimal disturbance of the web, but you must open it. Most slings will readily retreat if disturbed, my sub-adult OBT beats feet if I so much as touch the enclosure. However, if you have one that stands it’s ground, you could “prompt” it to move with a small paint brush. The mere action of opening the enclosure may be a an indication to your specimen that it may be time to set up shop elsewhere in the enclosure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Zepmaster

Zepmaster Arachnopeon

Utah
    I agree with @FrDoc %100 you must be able to access the enclosure, and Tarantulas will mostly retreat when disturbed just be careful opening the lid both to not let it escape and to not crush it by reflex if it bolts out. open it some where with a lot of open room and have a catch cup nearby just in case.

12. SuzukiSwift

SuzukiSwift Arachnoprince Active Member

Looks like a comfy little nook up there, I’m not surprised it would want to set up camp haha

My recommendation would actually be to rehouse to something more convenient so this doesn’t happen. Have an enclosure that opens from the side or have an enclosure that is quite tall (but not too tall) and add some cork bark or sticks that reach up to about 2/3 of the height. That way the sling will set up down there and you will have space with which to open the lid.

Keep the substrate bone dry and use a water dropper to drop water down the sides when watering it (or on to its web when it eventually makes some. Have about twice the ventilation you currently have

If you want to keep the current set up then others have already given good advice

Some of this could apply to your question too

13. ExcelTruth

ExcelTruth Arachnopeon

Thanks for the advice, so I don't need to worry if my OBT makes a web at the lid right? its just normal for him to not stay at the substrate, she keep stay at the web or the wall on the lid and just feed her normally.

Ok thank you for the advice for the rehouse, i will do that after she the next molt, because i just rehouse her a week ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2018 at 2:06 AM
  14. SuzukiSwift

SuzukiSwift Arachnoprince Active Member

Good idea, that way you can make the enclosure size to the specs of the larger size post moult and can use it longer

15. TomKemp

TomKemp Arachnoknight

It might sound like a bit much but after keeping a ton of these guys over time I jump from a little deli like the one you are using to a 32oz when they reach about an inch. It will give you more time to react in certain situations and less rehousings that result in less "situations". Trust me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. aphono

aphono Arachnoknight Active Member

I put the surprise freebie 1/4" OBT sling in 16 oz deli cup with deep substrate. That turned out to be an excellent setup for it. Number one reason was after it settled in & established a burrow system, it was a lot more manageable. All it had to do was retreat down when nervous. Opening the lid to put prey or water in wasn't an issue because of this. Second reason- it grew incredibly fast but since it had a lot of space to start with, rehousing didn't become a necessity just as quick.

Another thing I did was to put the cork bark lumps in the middle, instead of against the side- seemed to discourage it from starting its base up against the side or lid.

Question- what's the ideal size enclosure for an adult? Mine needs to be rehoused & would like to move it straight to a permanent enclosure.

17. TomKemp

TomKemp Arachnoknight

I keep alot of my more ornery old worlds in larger setups. I use 5 gal aquariums or totes close to that size for my adult obt's. They generally web like crazy anyway so it makes for a cool display as well. From my experience it just makes it easier all around. I think rehousing them kind of sucks so I go 4oz.-32oz-forever home, lol.