OBT Molt Extraction

javachip

Arachnopeon
Hi! My OBT recently molted but I do have a scenario. The terrarium that I'd been using for it is full webbed and I really don't want to destroy it because my OBT is comfortable with it. Any tips on how can I remove the molted exoskeleton out properly without disturbing its environment?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Hi! My OBT recently molted but I do have a scenario. The terrarium that I'd been using for it is full webbed and I really don't want to destroy it because my OBT is comfortable with it. Any tips on how can I remove the molted exoskeleton out properly without disturbing its environment?
You don't have to remove it, it will be fine.

Also, sometimes they will move it out of the way in a few weeks. Then you may be able get it out.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Their exoskeleton does not attract parasites or develop mould, so there is no danger to leaving it where it is. As mentioned, they will often kick it out at some point.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As has been said, there is no harm in leaving it. But if you want it for whatever reason, just yank it out. Sure, the spider will get startled, but that species lives in a perpetual state of being anxious anyway. Any damage done to the webbing will be fixed in a couple days. No harm, no foul.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No need to remove it, my OBT literally has 4-5 moults built into her webbing structure. Does make things a little confusing at times I’ll admit.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My OBT usually pushed his exo out after a while -- hopefully yours will do the same.
Now with C fimbri -- nothing. I found several by sifting through old substrate upon rehoming him.

Ya never know with Ts. (But I admit, I do collect 'intact' discarded exos).

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
My OBT usually pushed his exo out after a while -- hopefully yours will do the same.
Now with C fimbri -- nothing. I found several by sifting through old substrate upon rehoming him.

Ya never know with Ts. (But I admit, I do collect 'intact' discarded exos).
I also collect the ones from mine. I’ve got one of those really nice “Bathroom Centrepiece” jars that I’m slowly filling up. Then my guests will love me!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I also collect the ones from mine. I’ve got one of those really nice “Bathroom Centrepiece” jars that I’m slowly filling up. Then my guests will love me!
Bathrooms should provide a private safe-feeling environment... now I want to put my discarded exos into a lovely clear jar in my bathroom too! Yannoe, so guests can relax enough to use my facilities! ;)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It won't hurt if you leave it but if you need it for whatever reason then don't worry about destroying a bit of webbing to get to it (don't go destroying burrows for them though), they'll just lay down more webbing.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In my experience, trying to take a dry moult from webbing is going to destroy the moult anyways. I wouldnt do it