1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OBT Molt Extraction

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by javachip, May 17, 2019 at 5:21 PM.

1. javachip

javachip Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi! My OBT recently molted but I do have a scenario. The terrarium that I'd been using for it is full webbed and I really don't want to destroy it because my OBT is comfortable with it. Any tips on how can I remove the molted exoskeleton out properly without disturbing its environment?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. jrh3

jrh3 Knights of The Arachno Table Arachnosupporter

You don't have to remove it, it will be fine.

Also, sometimes they will move it out of the way in a few weeks. Then you may be able get it out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Their exoskeleton does not attract parasites or develop mould, so there is no danger to leaving it where it is. As mentioned, they will often kick it out at some point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoworm Staff Member

As has been said, there is no harm in leaving it. But if you want it for whatever reason, just yank it out. Sure, the spider will get startled, but that species lives in a perpetual state of being anxious anyway. Any damage done to the webbing will be fixed in a couple days. No harm, no foul.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

Leave it. Mine has two old suits in its hide.

• Like Like x 1
  6. No need to remove it, my OBT literally has 4-5 moults built into her webbing structure. Does make things a little confusing at times I’ll admit.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. My OBT usually pushed his exo out after a while -- hopefully yours will do the same.
    Now with C fimbri -- nothing. I found several by sifting through old substrate upon rehoming him.

Ya never know with Ts. (But I admit, I do collect 'intact' discarded exos).

8. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist Arachnosupporter

I also collect the ones from mine. I’ve got one of those really nice “Bathroom Centrepiece” jars that I’m slowly filling up. Then my guests will love me!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Bathrooms should provide a private safe-feeling environment... now I want to put my discarded exos into a lovely clear jar in my bathroom too! Yannoe, so guests can relax enough to use my facilities! ;)

• Love Love x 1
  10. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

It won't hurt if you leave it but if you need it for whatever reason then don't worry about destroying a bit of webbing to get to it (don't go destroying burrows for them though), they'll just lay down more webbing.

11. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

In my experience, trying to take a dry moult from webbing is going to destroy the moult anyways. I wouldnt do it

• Agree Agree x 1