OBT male vs female

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
So eventually I will be wanting an OBT. How do the males and females differ if any at all? Are the males less aggressive? Color differences? Lifespan expectancies?

Jason

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Both are aggressive, Females grow larger and bulkier, males more leggy and gangly. Males do not live long after maturing.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
I'm going on the assumption that you have prior experience with other genera of T's and what not to be looking into going into an OW, If so the males and females are pretty much the same when it comes to temperament, Being OW characteristically highly defensive and won't hesitate to strike at a perceived threat. Males and females are the same in body proportion up until the males has his final molt and becomes mature where his proportions alters drastically giving him bulbus pedipalps and tibial spurs, longer legs and a slimmer build to find and mate with females. At this time he only has a very limited life ~ couple months whereas the female could go on for quiet a good number of years. The color morphs that I know of are the tan/red color forms. They're very fast growers. They require bone dry substrate with a water-dish and will heavily web up there enclosure's when given the chance.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
MMs have slightly darker color on the legs, but color is the same everywhere else. MMs have short lives. aggression is the same.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I would hope that it will be some time before you acquire any OW species given that you appear to still be a fairly new keeper in the Hobby. No one wins if you rush things.
Both sexes will not hesitate to defend themselves aggressively. Males do not live long after their final molt to maturity.

Last edited:

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
I know I'm new to the hobby and I'm looking at months down the line before even considering it. I fully understand the responsibility of taking care of one. So a male would maybe live less than 5 years?

Jason

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I know I'm new to the hobby and I'm looking at months down the line before even considering it. I fully understand the responsibility of taking care of one. So a male would maybe live less than 5 years?

Jason
A male will certainly live less than 5 years. More like 2 years at the most. Females will generally not live longer than 7-8 years. OBT´s grow fast, and pay for it by not living so long.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, aside for a sling, if you can i suggest you to buy directly a sexed, from trusted people, female. Reason is, if you aren't into breeding, IMO it's too bad to have such a great Theraphosidae for so few time. Consider that the temperament is the same, so...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Imo I’ll take a spider that bites overshooting urticating hairs everywhere lol :rofl: .. the latter is more painful being alergic to hairs . But given a hide most spiders will run before flicking.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
do more reading/researching to learn more about any t your thinking to buy and no offense but your question gives the impression your pretty new to keeping ts

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
do more reading/researching to learn more about any t your thinking to buy and no offense but your question gives the impression your pretty new to keeping ts
Op vanished in 2018 , this is a resurrected thread . I love obt but imo I’d rather have a salmon pink Birdeater or something like that . If I was to choose one over the other , but I’d rather have both lol.. unfortunately I have no ow right now.