OBT how fast do they grow again?

ally b

Arachnopeon
hi,
feel bit embarassed i have a spling/juv OBT(P. murinus)
and shes takeing forever to moult shes nearly jet black and has been since i got her from a local dealerbout 2months ago and shes still not moulted.

i carn`t remeber how fast they grow any way. i know the slower they grow the slower the moult but i`am sure shes doing it on prose .
to wind me up (its working)lol

ally

PA7R1CK

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OBT's grow very fast. I'v had 1" slings be full grown in a year or a little more.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
OBT indicates P. murinus RCF - I've never seen a jet-black one and since they typically don't lose the hairs on their abdomen, seeing their skin color is extremely difficult.

Picture?

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've got an obt sling and its pretty black also.

GAD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea my OBT (P. Murinus RCF) is deff. Orange as the sun hahahah

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It should also be noted that there are too many variables (diet, temperature, etc.) that affect the growth rate of a tarantula to be able to give any hard numbers as to how quickly they will grow or their molt frequency. The best answer that can ever be given is a general they grow relatively fast or slow. P. murinus generally mature relatively quickly.

GAD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What do you guys do when their is a dead superworm in your OBTs home but he dont want it...I cant get it with tweazers that I have...Will he toss it out?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
GAD said:
What do you guys do when their is a dead superworm in your OBTs home but he dont want it...I cant get it with tweazers that I have...Will he toss it out?
It'll probably dry out and won't cause a problem unless you keep the tank unusually moist. It just may be a little unsightly.

GAD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok cooooollll I was worried it was my first time feeding Superworms and I read you should crush the head....after I did that it didnt want to wiggle anymore and my OBT isnt after anything that dont wiggle.......

ally b

Arachnopeon
hi,
well shes deff a P. Murinus ,
here`s some pic of the little madame

notice the fangs open wide ready to go for me if move to slow lol

do u think shes due a moult ?{D

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I never had a OBT in premolt but I can never tell if a spider has it's new skin underneith unless it is missing hairs which yours isn't. I have a couple beat up and darker then norm looking spiders that just had old skin. Have you tried offering it food?

Does it have access to water? Do you mist it any? This probably doesn't have any bearing on anything but it makes me feel better, I tend to elevate the humidity when a spider is in premolt thinking it would encourage it to molt sooner.

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
they usually are fast growers, but mine has stayed in premolt for almost a month, and it finally molted. If you have the right temps, and feed them good then theyll grow fast, lower temps less feeding, slower growth rate.

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 4 OBT slings at an inch,and they are black turning orange..

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
GAD said:
This is why people get nailed!!! Go and get some better tweezers/kelly clamps/needlenose pliers/WHATEVAHHHH!!! {D

You need good tools if you are gonna work with crazy lightning fast spiders.;)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sevenrats said:
This is why people get nailed!!! Go and get some better tweezers/kelly clamps/needlenose pliers/WHATEVAHHHH!!! {D

You need good tools if you are gonna work with crazy lightning fast spiders.;)
I believe the question intended to ask about how people handle the case when the dead superworm or whatever is buried in the web or simply not accessible with the tools one hand. If this is the case, then if your enclosure is kept on the drier side, then there should be no problem with leaving the husk there. Generally when they are dry they will not attract nasties. If it is starting to mold, then you will need to think about rehousing. In which case you are in for a fun time. :D

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
I believe the question intended to ask about how people handle the case when the dead superworm or whatever is buried in the web or simply not accessible with the tools one hand. If this is the case, then if your enclosure is kept on the drier side, then there should be no problem with leaving the husk there. Generally when they are dry they will not attract nasties. If it is starting to mold, then you will need to think about rehousing. In which case you are in for a fun time. :D
I understand all that but I think you should have the tools on hand. I have a set of 10 inch long skinny forceps for this reason. Just because of the OBT. Rehousing is a pain. The question was what do you guys do if the spider doen't want it and he couldn't reach it.

My answer is....I make sure I can reach it. That's all I meant.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sevenrats said:
I understand all that but I think you should have the tools on hand. I have a set of 10 inch long skinny forceps for this reason. Just because of the OBT. Rehousing is a pain. The question was what do you guys do if the spider doen't want it and he couldn't reach it.

My answer is....I make sure I can reach it. That's all I meant.
This is true, however there are times that they will pack it into the web itself and retrieving it then is not easy, regardless of what tools you have on hand. I have forceps ranging from 6" to 18" as well as 10" hemostats. Even with this array of tools there are time things simply aren't reachable.

For instance, my adult female N. chromatus molted several months ago. The exuvium is still in her burrow. She made it along the glass of the enclosure so I can see it, however it is so far into the burrow I can not reach it. I am not going to dig it up simply to remove it as there is no sign of it molding or and other infestation of any kind. Sometimes you simply can't clean out the debris. That was the point I was trying to make.

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree that with a deep burrower you wouldn't be able to reach it with out causing a cave in. I don't like obligate deep burrowers, holes in the tank.

Wouldn't most burrowers throw stuff out of the burrow because of natural instinct to keep the burrow clear?

I don't allow the OBT to burrow deep. I gave it a convoluted pile of bark to web up in so I can still see her.

In the spirit of this thread, I think she is growing fast.